Check your account email address ×

Exploding WWII 8mm ammo

Ammo can stay good for decades and decades as long as you keep it dry.  I’ve got several ammo boxes from my days that are filled with rounds and explosives.  Dry as a bone and I swap out desiccants every so often.  I’d have zero issues loading up any of it.  Plus, it’s all military grade.  Yay!

Also, the ballistic properties of these “exploding rounds” are mimicked pretty well now by high grain FMJ’s.  Some of the other shit that is meant to mutilate the body is just plain impressive.  My favorite was always the artillery or gunship fired flechette rounds that fired inch sized nail arrows to dispatch group size targets.  Nasty little buggers!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ammo can stay good for decades and decades as long as you keep it dry.  I’ve got several ammo boxes from my days that are filled with rounds and explosives.  Dry as a bone and I swap out desiccants every so often.  I’d have zero issues loading up any of it.  Plus, it’s all military grade.  Yay!

Also, the ballistic properties of these “exploding rounds” are mimicked pretty well now by high grain FMJ’s.  Some of the other shit that is meant to mutilate the body is just plain impressive.  My favorite was always the artillery or gunship fired flechette rounds that fired inch sized nail arrows to dispatch group size targets.  Nasty little buggers!

WWII ammo in a perfect world, with perfect storage, maybe will work. But that’s a long time for perfect conditions to be maintained.The other aspect of ammo that’s that old is it’s corrosive nature. The combination powder of that vintage and casing metallurgy can cause the shell to weld itself together or develop weak areas even if perfectly stored. I wouldn’t fire the stuff. 

Edited by spin_dry