Check your account email address ×

Official 2018 Formula 1 Thread

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ckf said:

Imagine that, a first lap crash. Sucks for Strole  (sp)

Damn....that was a little wild.

Interesting hearing 7th place starter Niko Hulkenberg saying that the 6 cars ahead of him are out of reach....pretty lame that there are only 6 possible winners every race.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, ckf said:

I was just outside with Izzy. Did both of the RedBull cars pit?

Well I know Ricciardo did but pretty sure Verstappen did not.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Has there been any passing? I haven't seen one yet, except Ricciardo on Hamilton during the pitstops.

Not that I have seen.

2 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Has there been any passing? I haven't seen one yet, except Ricciardo on Hamilton during the pitstops.

I haven't seen any since the opening lap, but I haven't been in front of the TV the entire time.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh I don't know...if so bad move. :lol:

I just looked it up.

In November 2014 both Alonso and Scuderia Ferrari announced that the 2014 season would be his last with the team, with former title rival Sebastian Vettel replacing Alonso at Ferrari for the following season, both drivers leaving their previous contracts prior to expiry.[98] In December 2014 it was announced that Alonso would return to McLaren for the first time since 2007

I guess this didn't go as planned :lol:

After travelling to Malaysia for the second round of the season, Alonso was passed fit to take part in the event after undergoing medical tests at the track.[106] In the season opener, his Ferrari replacement Sebastian Vettel had finished on the podium, whilst McLaren occupied the last row with huge difficulties with the performance of the car and the new engine package. In spite of this, Alonso stated at the aforementioned press conference that he had no regrets about leaving Ferrari for McLaren, saying that he was no longer content with just podium finishes after 14 years in Formula One and therefore was prepared to take risks in order to win.

• Haha 1

2. The race ended two laps early

Winnie Harlow, a Canadian model and friend of Lewis Hamilton, was in the box over the finish line at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve ready to wave the chequered flag, but she went too early and waved it on lap 69 - before leader Sebastian Vettel came round to finish the race.

They did wave it again when Vettel came round, but because of F1's regulations, once the flag is shown the race result must be taken from the previous time the leader crossed the line, meaning the race actually ended on lap 68, not lap 70.

The regulation states: “Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the [finishing] line before the signal was given.”

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando Alonso admits success in the Le Mans 24 Hours means the Indianapolis 500 will take on a "high priority" for him when he weighs up his career moves for 2019 and beyond after F1's summer break.

The Spaniard's success on Sunday moved him just a victory at Indy away from becoming the second driver in history to complete motorsport's 'triple crown', when he won the prestigious 24-hour race alongside team-mates Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi in a dominant Toyota one-two.

"I will make my mind up after the summer what I will do next year but after winning Le Mans, Indy comes into play with a high priority," Alonso was quoted as saying by the Guardian.

"Let's see if it is next year or the following year. Let's see what the future of F1 will be."

https://drivetribe.com/p/fernando-alonso-says-indy-500-now-O96KugxxQN2aPEXAJ57gyA?iid=Bffzoum-TH6TTI258jI7kg&utm_campaign=formula1&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

• Like 1