Check your account email address ×

Bush was right

Remember when the screeching idiot left lost their collective shit when Bush said the best way to protect Social Security for future generations would be to privatize a portion of it? Hillary even lied about this in 2016 during her campaign against Trump.  The left brings it up every so often as a "look how stupid the Repubs are..."

That was in 2000, sidetracked by 9/11, but then again in 2004 and 2005.  Workers would have been able to carve out some of their SS payments to put in their own private accounts, where investment options would be limited to certain large scale, low cost index funds.

In January of 2004, the Dow was closing around 10,500ish.  It's now around 40,000ish.  Even with the catastrophic dip we saw in 2008, that's around a 6.8% rate of return.  That's quite a bit better than what's in the SS trust fund, which the Boomers are set to drain.  An investment in VTSAX, or the Vanguard total S&P index, is returning closer to 8% over that period.

I don't imagine SS will be around for people my age.  I'm 44 now.  I can't imagine SS is still there in 20 years without major major reforms.  I sure wish I could have been putting some of that SS $ into a private, SS IRA and just letting it compound instead...  Something is better than nothing...

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I will be grabing my share starting in June....I missed the cutoff for May. If it's any comfort, there has been fear of SS running out since I was a kid.

But I'm grabbing it early just to be on the safe side:lmao: