Check your account email address Ă—

GAIA GPS

Amazing program. I’m running it on an iPad Air first edition attached to the dash with a ram mount. I think I bought the iPad in 2013 and hadn’t used it in years. Works great with no lag. Using a Garmin Glo-2 for GPS. Loaded up several gpx file maps from other overlanders. Really makes trips more enjoyable. 

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

I like maps.  The paper variety.  The lost art  of finding your way around.

There’s really no art to that. I like the idea of finding new routes to log and share with others. Good to lodge interesting waypoints along the way for next time as well. 

44 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s really no art to that. I like the idea of finding new routes to log and share with others. Good to lodge interesting waypoints along the way for next time as well. 

That’s what a typical metrosexual would do , yes.

I have used cell phone map guidance with great success in center city Newark nj. Before.  I don’t need the gps to tell me to never go back there ever again though. I figured that one out all by my lonesome self.:flush: man I was fucking glad I had it on that day.

1 hour ago, hayward said:

That’s what a typical metrosexual would do , yes.

I have used cell phone map guidance with great success in center city Newark nj. Before.  I don’t need the gps to tell me to never go back there ever again though. I figured that one out all by my lonesome self.:flush: man I was fucking glad I had it on that day.

Anyone that considers map reading an art form is odd as fuck. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

I run Gaia on my bikes. Old iPhone (not connected to a network)on a Quad lock mount. And also have it on my regular phone. Excellent app. By far superior in my opinion to a garmin etc. I spend some weekday evenings searching out trails and class 4-6 roads in vt nh,Then drop a pin 📍. On Saturday I go find my pins. 

IMG_8025.png

Edited by Shifty

2 hours ago, Shifty said:

I run Gaia on my bikes. Old iPhone (not connected to a network)on a Quad lock mount. And also have it on my regular phone. Excellent app. By far superior in my opinion to a garmin etc. I spend my some weekday evenings searching out trails and class 4-6 roads in vt nh,Then drop a pin 📍. On Saturday I go find my pins. 

IMG_8025.png

It took me some time just to get a rudimentary understanding of the app. There’s a ton more features that I haven’t explored yet. The Glo gives me the ability to run it off network. Being able to pick an area and download a map to the iPad is another work around for being off network or in an area of spotty coverage. I’m sure glad I hung on to the iPad. This gives it a second life.