Check your account email address ×

college world series

So laid up with some kinda flu bug this afternoon so decided to catch some college WS Baseball.  Have not really watched much of it in the past few years.  I was always impressed with the player discipline in the games.  For instance, if a hitter struck out, he jogged or sometimes even ran back to the dugout.  Never looked back and stared down the umpire for a questionable 3rd strike call.  Ran on and off the field, or at least jog, but surely never noticed walking.  Until today.

TCU ahead 6-1 in the eighth, and one of their starters on first base almost gets picked off and the first baseman catches the ball, applies the tag, and holds the glove on him hoping he lifts an arm off the bag instead of calling timeout to get up.  Runner didn't like, starts pushing at the first baseman and talking trash.  So whatever, next batter comes up and now the runners on first base jumping side to side trying to distract the pitcher pretending to steal.  (Are we 10 years old again?  In fact, when I was playing growing up, our coaches never allowed that shit.).  The hitter ends up striking out swinging, but walks back to the dugout with his head turned back to the home plate umpire chirping at him the whole way about the call on the 2nd strike.  Next batter comes up and runner now steals second but it's a foul ball out of play so has to come back to first.  SLOW-ASS fucking walk all the way back to first base, and just before he gets there, umpire starts chewing his ass out for delaying game.  Head coach comes out of the dugout to talk to runner and batter and I think good, sit his ass on the bench.  Nope, right out after the umpire to tell him he can't do that there's no rule in how long it takes to get back to the bag, and from reading his lips to the ump "that's not you!"

What in the hell has gone wrong in today's world?  I used to look at it as playing for a d1 college team was a huge priviledge and at times probably almost as coming out of it at the end of your career you could probably kick the shit out of boot camp that's how disciplined and fit you really probably are.  This is a disgusting example to show all the youth in the stands and watching on t.v. and representing your alma matter.  Need to run the show better than this.

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, hayward said:

So laid up with some kinda flu bug this afternoon so decided to catch some college WS Baseball.  Have not really watched much of it in the past few years.  I was always impressed with the player discipline in the games.  For instance, if a hitter struck out, he jogged or sometimes even ran back to the dugout.  Never looked back and stared down the umpire for a questionable 3rd strike call.  Ran on and off the field, or at least jog, but surely never noticed walking.  Until today.

TCU ahead 6-1 in the eighth, and one of their starters on first base almost gets picked off and the first baseman catches the ball, applies the tag, and holds the glove on him hoping he lifts an arm off the bag instead of calling timeout to get up.  Runner didn't like, starts pushing at the first baseman and talking trash.  So whatever, next batter comes up and now the runners on first base jumping side to side trying to distract the pitcher pretending to steal.  (Are we 10 years old again?  In fact, when I was playing growing up, our coaches never allowed that shit.).  The hitter ends up striking out swinging, but walks back to the dugout with his head turned back to the home plate umpire chirping at him the whole way about the call on the 2nd strike.  Next batter comes up and runner now steals second but it's a foul ball out of play so has to come back to first.  SLOW-ASS fucking walk all the way back to first base, and just before he gets there, umpire starts chewing his ass out for delaying game.  Head coach comes out of the dugout to talk to runner and batter and I think good, sit his ass on the bench.  Nope, right out after the umpire to tell him he can't do that there's no rule in how long it takes to get back to the bag, and from reading his lips to the ump "that's not you!"

What in the hell has gone wrong in today's world?  I used to look at it as playing for a d1 college team was a huge priviledge and at times probably almost as coming out of it at the end of your career you could probably kick the shit out of boot camp that's how disciplined and fit you really probably are.  This is a disgusting example to show all the youth in the stands and watching on t.v. and representing your alma matter.  Need to run the show better than this.

As a former D1 baseball player I find it hard to watch the game today with the antics the players do on the field.  I guess I'm just old school but some of the shit that happens on the pro game filters down down all the way to youth ball.  Whatever happened to acting like you've been there before.   The pounding of the chest after a simple hit just cracks me up.  I get it some think the game is boring and anything to bring excitement is good.