Check your account email address ×

Paralympics and should old people be required to take a behind the wheel test?

Test 'em  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should we require physical testing of drivers over 66 years of age?

• Yeah Buddy!!!
    • No, I don't want anyone to take away my license when I might actually be a danger to others.

Trying to kill two birds in one weird thread.

Anyone else watching the Paralympics?  We have been on and off and I give them a lot of credit.  Last night Anastasia Pagonis who is blind won a gold medal and set a new Paralympic record in the 400M.  Just got done watching the men's basketball which was interesting because there's no slam dunks or goal tending, unlike the freaks in college or the pro-ball because it's pure shooting ability.  For curiosity I googled the rules which were interesting...  https://iwbf.org/rules-of-wheelchair-basketball/

And.... should people once they reach the age of 66 (fifty years after getting their license the first time) be required to take a behind the wheel (or even a simulator - remember those?) test every eight years to retain their drivers license?  Frankly it scares the fucking shit out of me (on a regular basis) seeing people that drive get into and out of their cars (taking forever) then grabbing a walker or in a few cases a wheelchair that can hardly move their legs or feet, which are two essential and necessary tools to actually driving a vehicle (because brake pedal !!!).  Not to mention reaction times, vision, memory and general complacency.  Of course I realize it will never happen as it would be political suicide - but maybe it should.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr