Check your account email address ×

Give him a Medal

12-year-old boy defending mother fatally shoots armed home intruder

Kaelan Deese
Fri, July 9, 2021, 2:03 PM

4eb8f9907ba9167d6f8394c9a423233e

A 12-year-old boy in Louisiana fatally shot an armed intruder who was threatening his mother inside their home, local authorities said.

The boy feared for his mother's life when he used a hunting rifle to shoot 32-year-old Brad LeBlanc, who broke into their home located east of Clinton on June 30, according to a July 1 report from the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office.

"Witnesses stated that a perpetrator forced entry into the home at this address to perform a home invasion. The perpetrator was in possession of a firearm. At some point during this incident the perpetrator was fatally shot by a resident of the home," the department wrote in a statement.

First responders were dispatched to the scene, and CPR was administered to LeBlanc before he was transported to a local medical facility. He was pronounced dead at the hospital by the East Feliciana Parish Coroner.

"I don't know what you tell a kid at that age. I've tried to reflect myself when my kids were 12-years-old, or maybe when I was 12-years-old, what I know is a very horrific incident. He's really a hero for taking care of his mother," Sheriff Jeff Travis told the Washington Examiner.

Two other individuals allegedly involved in the attempted burglary were discovered and booked in prison. One of them is Jonathon Barker, who is charged with second-degree murder, principal to aggravated burglary, and principal to aggravated kidnapping.

The other suspect is Jennifer Bond, who was booked in the East Feliciana Parish Prison for "Accessory After the Fact," the department wrote.

Barker is not accused of directly killing anyone, though Travis said Louisiana law states that participation in a crime that results in a murder or death can be applied to other suspects. No evidence at this time points to charges for the boy, he added.

"At this time, the East Feliciana County Sheriff's Office has no evidence, whether it be physical evidence, or testimonies from witnesses, that the 12-year-old young man did anything that would implicate that he committed a crime," Travis told the Washington Examiner.

After the investigation concludes, the sheriff's department will turn its findings to the district attorney, who will decide whether the child was justified to shoot the intruder.

The victims in the case have not been named by authorities.

Travis has been in contact with the mother, who informed him her son is seeking appropriate help following the incident, he said.

His mother "has got a pathway to start therapy" or "counseling" for the boy, he said, noting that steps were in order to help him cope with the "very abnormal situation."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

12-year-old boy defending mother fatally shoots armed home intruder

Kaelan Deese
Fri, July 9, 2021, 2:03 PM

4eb8f9907ba9167d6f8394c9a423233e

A 12-year-old boy in Louisiana fatally shot an armed intruder who was threatening his mother inside their home, local authorities said.

The boy feared for his mother's life when he used a hunting rifle to shoot 32-year-old Brad LeBlanc, who broke into their home located east of Clinton on June 30, according to a July 1 report from the East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office.

"Witnesses stated that a perpetrator forced entry into the home at this address to perform a home invasion. The perpetrator was in possession of a firearm. At some point during this incident the perpetrator was fatally shot by a resident of the home," the department wrote in a statement.

First responders were dispatched to the scene, and CPR was administered to LeBlanc before he was transported to a local medical facility. He was pronounced dead at the hospital by the East Feliciana Parish Coroner.

"I don't know what you tell a kid at that age. I've tried to reflect myself when my kids were 12-years-old, or maybe when I was 12-years-old, what I know is a very horrific incident. He's really a hero for taking care of his mother," Sheriff Jeff Travis told the Washington Examiner.

Two other individuals allegedly involved in the attempted burglary were discovered and booked in prison. One of them is Jonathon Barker, who is charged with second-degree murder, principal to aggravated burglary, and principal to aggravated kidnapping.

The other suspect is Jennifer Bond, who was booked in the East Feliciana Parish Prison for "Accessory After the Fact," the department wrote.

Barker is not accused of directly killing anyone, though Travis said Louisiana law states that participation in a crime that results in a murder or death can be applied to other suspects. No evidence at this time points to charges for the boy, he added.

"At this time, the East Feliciana County Sheriff's Office has no evidence, whether it be physical evidence, or testimonies from witnesses, that the 12-year-old young man did anything that would implicate that he committed a crime," Travis told the Washington Examiner.

After the investigation concludes, the sheriff's department will turn its findings to the district attorney, who will decide whether the child was justified to shoot the intruder.

The victims in the case have not been named by authorities.

Travis has been in contact with the mother, who informed him her son is seeking appropriate help following the incident, he said.

His mother "has got a pathway to start therapy" or "counseling" for the boy, he said, noting that steps were in order to help him cope with the "very abnormal situation."

Unbelievable, that a kid has to defend his mother. 

What a nightmare situation.

The public victims will have to start shooting these bastard criminals more and more. Law enforcement can not protect the citizens. 

I had a couple friends over for dinner. They both own businesses...one is an estate liquidator with a HUGE storage facility for some of the more spendy items (gold, silver, high end antiques etc). 

He's a rod and gun club president and over sees the shooting range. 

He repeated this short quote (apparently made in his presence by a high ranked state trooper) "They're coming". 

Huh? I ask him? "Who is coming"? And he said the trooper implied the "they" are the now un-employed (by choice) thugs who are moving into the suburbs to theive.

One thing I learned after my surgery (or had explained to me) was the "fight or fight" response. And we don't know WHICH we are until we are pressed into a "life or death" situation.

I had (unfortunately) "awareness" of the last part of my surgery. 

I was placed in a "trundle bed"(upside down) and my anesthesia had worn off when they were transferring me from the surgery bed to the gurney.

Apparently I was very angry. I was bruised badly because one of the surgical staff dropped me somewhat when transferring me. I woke up, got UP and TOOK A SWING at the surgeons pa who was assisting.

I stayed, um PISSED OFF lol for hours after. Surgery was around 6 1/2 hrs. The pa was the first to check in with me post op. He was AWFUL to me. Openly hostile. (No bull) and I was unaware of what happened. 

It wasn't till 2 days later a nurse told me I tried to hit him. As the anesthesia started wearing off, I became more aware, saw the bruises on me (bruised my left breast really bad..) and reacted with the fight response. Lol.

That boy is a HERO. And that is an example of his "fight" response. But that kid is going to be living with the fact he took a life. And that's going to be really hard on him. 

Hopefully he learns how to deal with this. 

Edited by Rodeo Rider

6 hours ago, Rodeo Rider said:

I had a couple friends over for dinner. They both own businesses...one is an estate liquidator with a HUGE storage facility for some of the more spendy items (gold, silver, high end antiques etc). 

He's a rod and gun club president and over sees the shooting range. 

He repeated this short quote (apparently made in his presence by a high ranked state trooper) "They're coming". 

Huh? I ask him? "Who is coming"? And he said the trooper implied the "they" are the now un-employed (by choice) thugs who are moving into the suburbs to theive.

One thing I learned after my surgery (or had explained to me) was the "fight or fight" response. And we don't know WHICH we are until we are pressed into a "life or death" situation.

I had (unfortunately) "awareness" of the last part of my surgery. 

I was placed in a "trundle bed"(upside down) and my anesthesia had worn off when they were transferring me from the surgery bed to the gurney.

Apparently I was very angry. I was bruised badly because one of the surgical staff dropped me somewhat when transferring me. I woke up, got UP and TOOK A SWING at the surgeons pa who was assisting.

I stayed, um PISSED OFF lol for hours after. Surgery was around 6 1/2 hrs. The pa was the first to check in with me post op. He was AWFUL to me. Openly hostile. (No bull) and I was unaware of what happened. 

It wasn't till 2 days later a nurse told me I tried to hit him. As the anesthesia started wearing off, I became more aware, saw the bruises on me (bruised my left breast really bad..) and reacted with the fight response. Lol.

That boy is a HERO. And that is an example of his "fight" response. But that kid is going to be living with the fact he took a life. And that's going to be really hard on him. 

Hopefully he learns how to deal with this. 

That is actually a pretty typical response coming out anesthesia.   My wife has to fight guys all the time.   A PA should know this and understand.  They have to do what they have to keep patients from hurting themselves and a lot of times it is forcefully restraining you. 

8 hours ago, Rodeo Rider said:

You could have just said this ^^^^^^^^:lol:

Archie