Check your account email address ×

Today's Joke

Every morning, the CEO of a large bank in Manhattan walks to the corner where a shoe shine is always located.  He sits on the couch, examines the Wall Street Journal, and the shoe shine man shines his shoes to perfection.

One morning the shoeshine man asks the Executive Director:  “What do you think about the situation in the stock market?”

The Director asks in turn arrogantly: “Why are you so interested in that - that topic?

"I have a million dollars in your bank," the shoeshine says, "and I'm considering investing some of the money in the capital market."

“What is your name?”  –Asks the Director.

“  - John Smith”

The Director arrives at the bank and asks the Manager of the Customer Department: ”Do we have a client named John Smith?”  “Certainly” –answers the Customer Service Manager–“he is a highly esteemed customer.  He has a million dollars in his account.”

The Director comes out, approaches the shoeshine man, and says: “Mr. Smith, I ask you this coming Monday to be the guest of honor at our board meeting and tell us the story of your life.  I am sure we will have something to learn from you.”

At the board meeting, the Executive Director introduces him to the board members: “We all know Mr. Smith, who makes our shoes shine.  But Mr. Smith is also our esteemed customer with a million dollars in his account.  I invited him to tell us the story of his life.  I am sure we can learn from him.”

Mr. Smith began his story: “I came to this country with my sister fifty years ago as a young immigrant from Europe with an unpronounceable name.  I got off the ship without a penny.  The first thing I did was change my name to Smith.  I was hungry and exhausted.  I started wandering around looking for a job but to no avail.  Suddenly I found a quarter on the sidewalk.

I bought an apple.  I had two options: eat the apple and quench my hunger or start a business.  I managed to sell the apple for a dollar and bought more apples with the money.  I also sold them and continued in business.   I saved and saved almost all the money.  I didn't spend a cent on entertainment or clothing, I just bought bread and some cheese to survive.  I started accumulating dollars and eventually, I was able to buy a set of used brushes and shoe polish and started polishing shoes.

I continued to save penny by penny and after a while, I was able to buy a set of new shoe brushes and polish in different shades and expanded my clientele.  I lived like a monk and still saved penny by penny.  After a while I was able to buy an armchair so that my clients could sit comfortably while I was cleaning and polishing their shoes, and that brought me more clients.  I did not spend a penny on the joys of life.  I kept saving every cent.

A few years ago, when the previous shoe shine man on the corner decided to retire, I had managed to save enough money to buy his shoeshine location at this great place.

Finally, three months ago, my sister, who was a whore in New York, passed away and left me a million dollars.

• Haha 3