Winter 2017

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Try the klim balaclava, it also has the breath deflector, works good....when real cold I add a second thin balaclava as well.

MX helmets tend to have a ton of vents, I've taped some of mine off with black duct tape.

That's the balaclava hopefully Santa brings for me. It has plugs for the vents.

:bc:

29 minutes ago, Reevester said:

That's the balaclava hopefully Santa brings for me. It has plugs for the vents.

:bc:

That is right....I saw that when I checked it out online, also has some sort of curtains.

The only part of my head that feels cold sometimes is the top, but I have no hair either, so the second thin balaclava, does the trick for those colder days.

8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That is right....I saw that when I checked it out online, also has some sort of curtains.

The only part of my head that feels cold sometimes is the top, but I have no hair either, so the second thin balaclava, does the trick for those colder days.

Yeah the curtains really help keep the cold off your fore head. I only had a small balaclava on today at -10 this morning at was fine at 80 mph steady. I'll still wear the modular when it's below -20 because if I get cold or foggy I'll huck the fucking thing in the bush lol 

10 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

Not just one but two stupid people. I wonder how many others got caught by it as well.

I wonder if they will be complaining to someone about the lousy trail conditions.

Edited by 02sled

23 hours ago, 02sled said:

Not just one but two stupid people. I wonder how many others got caught by it as well.

I wonder if they will be complaining to someone about the lousy trail conditions.

That's what happens when you only ride the speed limit!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/technology/a-four-seat-snowmobile-for-adventures-with-your-kids/article33321079/?utm_source=Shared+Article+Sent+to+User&utm_medium=E-mail:+Newsletters+/+E-Blasts+/+etc.&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

A four-seat snowmobile for adventures with your kids

CHARLES BOMBARDIER

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Sunday, Dec. 18, 2016 5:00AM EST

Last updated Sunday, Dec. 18, 2016 7:55AM EST

Our Prototypes column introduces new vehicle concepts and presents visuals from designers who illustrate the ideas. Some of them will be extensions of existing concepts, others will be new, some will be production ready, and others really far-fetched.

The concept

The Whitefox concept is a four-passenger snowmobile that can run in existing snowmobile trails. It would be equipped with a 165-horseppower Rotax 850 E-TEC engine.

image.jpg
Renderings provided by Charles Bombardier

The background

In 2001, I was in charged with developing a side-by-side snowmobile project for BRP that was later called the Ski-Doo ELITE. In fact, the Elite was the last snowmobile built under the name Bombardier before the company became BRP. The last unit rolled out of the assembly line in Sherbrooke, Québec on December 24, 2004.

During the development period , I asked my friend Yves Bergeron to build a stretched out version to sit four passengers. This project led to a prototype, which you see here in modified photo renderings. This vehicle could be rebuilt as the Whitefox model—a snowmobile built to carry a whole family.

image.jpg

How it works

We basically took an old Elite prototype (to save cost) and stretched it by three feet. We added two seats and traded the 140-horsepower, four-stroke Sea-Doo engine for an 850cc two-stroke engine by Rotax to reduce weight.

The original side-by-side was made of fiberglass, but I would instead redo the body work digitally and factory print a new body made out of plastic. With this change, the vehicle would probably weigh less than 900 pounds.

The Whitefox could be introduced with a built-in ski and snowboard rack bolted on top of its upper frame. Each seat (or the floor) could also be heated by using the engine’s cooling system, and fans could also divert hot air on the riders’ legs, which could be covered by an insulated blanket.

We would also add the power steering of the Spyder and Can-am lineup while modifying the steering controls to improve ergonomics. In fact, it would probably be better to introduce drive-by-wire to ease pressure on the thumb and calibrate sensitivity more adequately. I would also add pop down wheels on the skis to facilitate turning on asphalt or hard surfaces.

image.jpg

What it’s used for

There is a market for a four-seat snowmobile. I think riding with your wife and kids is a really cool way to enjoy the winter. Going out on weekend trips with your family in one sled and your gear safely tucked in a trailer behind would be fantastic.

Of course, the development cost for such a project is risky, but in my humble opinion, the market is always evolving. Building a snowmobile that can seat four will definitely have an impact on the public’s perception of snowmobiling.

image.jpg

The designer

I would like to thank Ashish Thulkar, who modified the images of our existing prototype to create the renderings of the Whitefox. Thulkar graduated with a master’s degree in design from the Indian Institute of Science in 2014. He currently works as a freelance vehicle designer at the Indian Institute of Science. He also created the Drone Tower concept and the Tridika 3D People mover.

image.jpg
Report Typo/Error

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeDrive

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/foul-mouthed-sledders-cost-riders-big-chunk-of-barrie-trail-492676

Be polite.

That's the simple message to snowmobilers from the president of the Sno Voyageurs Snowmobile Club.

Roy Maddox is speaking out after two mouthy snowmobilers cost sledders 'quite a few' kilometres of trail around Barrie. 

"They mouthed off to a lady on a trail that was walking and the lady happened to be the owner's wife and they kicked us off," explains Maddox with disgust at the sledders.  "They were foul-mouthed to the lady so we lost all the trail behind the city dump round by the airport and down Sunnidale Road toward our clubhouse."

It's a growing problem volunteers are constantly dealing with according to Maddox who says it's the volunteers who have to go out and try to convince landowners to continue allowing sledders to use their properties.  

The trails that are now off-limits in Barrie had been used by riders for 'many, many, many years,' says Maddox.

"We've been having some trouble for the last couple of years and we managed to convince them to to keep it open. We've made changes and re-routed and so forth on their property- put up some fences, doing anything we could to maintain but this was the straw that broke the camel's back and we're outta there and I think it's for good."

23 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Classic example of such a large percentage of the population these days....such a disappointment.

Same pricks will likely still try to ride the trail now that it is closed..... :flush: 

If the guy puts up a fence with a closed trail sign they would likely cut through the fence and bitch that someone blocked off THEIR trail. Being mouthy like they obviously were would have seen my dad setting me straight about what acceptable behaviour is even if I was in my 20's.

AC ,  yes some take corners pretty bad .

Puzzler , I agree , but I don't think they know who they are . 

This will sound crazy , but as I was typing that, I thought to myself . What if someone wanted a trail closed , and they said " a couple of foul mouthed sledders , gave us a hard time " .  Boom , trail closed and public opinion is on they're side . 

Im not saying this is the case , but why couldn't it ? 

Edited by StevieWonder