Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

40 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Tomorrow I will smoke a 3# chuck roast on the weber kettle using the slow and sear. Tips?

@Woodtick has become the resident Kettle cook. I used to use the snake method when I was smoking on a kettle. I think the slow and sear allows for the same low and slow cook as the snake method?

12 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

I grill a lot of sirloin.  8-9 bucks a pound from the local butcher.  

I love the flavor of sirloin :bc:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ckf said:

@Woodtick has become the resident Kettle cook. I used to use the snake method when I was smoking on a kettle. I think the slow and sear allows for the same low and slow cook as the snake method?

Yes the slow and sear works fine. About a half to 3/4 unlit chimney and about the same lit on top.

• Like 1

Just now, racerdave said:

Yes the slow and sear works fine. About a half to 3/4 unlit chimney and about the same lit on top.

The few chuck roasts that I've done I've cooked to about 190° and sliced. They came out great! I think you are looking for just over 200° if you want to pull.

I’ve never done a pot roast on the grill. My wife does them in the crock pot and it melts in your mouth. The snake method works awesome but can have trouble holding heat in the winter. You must take rain,wind,and cold temperatures into consideration when using the kettle. Plenty of info out there doing a google search.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Crank the GMG to 500 and let it rip.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

The few chuck roasts that I've done I've cooked to about 190° and sliced. They came out great! I think you are looking for just over 200° if you want to pull.

Slicing is what I want to try. Thanks

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

I grill a lot of sirloin.  8-9 bucks a pound from the local butcher.  

Yep, those are from my local meat market Spera's, I was looking for a Tri-tip, but they only had a small one (not enough for me and the kiddos) so I had to settle for some strips..Still be good, have some JD oak barrel chips soaking in some water to toss in with the coals..:yum:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Been playing around with beef short ribs also.  I like them.  Some people think they are a little rich.  Pretty much use the same rubs and process as brisket 

I've only done short ribs once. I liked them but Nicole.... not so much, lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Yep, those are from my local meat market Spera's, I was looking for a Tri-tip, but they only had a small one (not enough for me and the kiddos) so I had to settle for some strips..Still be good, have some JD oak barrel chips soaking in some water to toss in with the coals..:yum:

Strips are always good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

I've only done short ribs once. I liked them but Nicole.... not so much, lol

Same here wife snd daughter are not big fans - I have several in the freezer for when I have some dudes over for beers and short ribs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I just got home and the Camp Chef is doing it's thing on the high smoke setting.

First time I have lifted the lid 4 hours in to the cook.

Naked with just some of Mike's Works rub.

PXL_20201212_205021036-01.jpeg

for christ sakes clean that heat guard:fry:

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Haha... It's on the list  :lol: 

At least I keep the grates clean and oiled  :bc:

I clean my pellet grill out every 6-7 cooks oh and mist them ribs they look dry to me, get with the program or get back to the crockpot:stirthepot:

4 hours ago, racerdave said:

Tomorrow I will smoke a 3# chuck roast on the weber kettle using the slow and sear. Tips?

You got me thinking about a chuck roast today, so I picked up a well marbled one at the grocery store today. I got some baby carrots too just in case we decide to have a pot roast :bc:

• Thanks 1

Just now, 01mxz800 said:

I clean my pellet grill out every 6-7 cooks oh and mist them ribs they look dry to me, get with the program or get back to the crockpot:stirthepot:

I getting ready to add some of Mike's Honey Q to keep them a little more moist. The other half prefers them wrapped for an hour or two. I like them both ways. We were gone longer than expected so I'm going to wing it :lmao:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I getting ready to add some of Mike's Honey Q to keep them a little more moist. The other half prefers them wrapped for an hour or two. I like them both ways. We were gone longer than expected so I'm going to wing it :lmao:

:wall:

4 hours ago, SnowRider said:

Been playing around with beef short ribs also.  I like them.  Some people think they are a little rich.  Pretty much use the same rubs and process as brisket 

I love short ribs. AFter a ribeye it's my go to cut. ALways buy an extra one and toss it into the next beef stew I make. Adds awesome flavor.

• Like 1

The smoked pot roast came out pretty damn good.Some mesquite and hickory. Kept it around 225-230. Seem to stall around 150 so I let the kettle get up to around 350 ish for 45 minutes or so. Around 160  closed the vents down till around 175. Pulled it off, and tented it for 1/2 hour. Even had a little bark. Chessy hash browns were a great side.

smokedpotroast2.jpg

• Like 5