***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think scraping the skin is just for competitions for the most part. I really don't mind if my skin isn't that perfect bite through skin that judges are looking for. 

I had just never seen it done before...I have a Weber Kettle so do you mind giving the cliff notes on how you did those thighs? :bc:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I had just never seen it done before...I have a Weber Kettle so do you mind giving the cliff notes on how you did those thighs? :bc:

Will do. The Weber Kettle is a great grill to have. It not only does a good job grilling (high heat direct cooking), it also works great for BBQ / Smoking (low heat offset cooking). I was bored a while ago so I started a BBQ blog. Only one post so far, but I've got a few more planned, including chicken thighs. Here's my first post doing St Louis Style Ribs on the Kettle :bc:      http://backwoods-bbq.com/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Will do. The Weber Kettle is a great grill to have. It not only does a good job grilling (high heat direct cooking), it also works great for BBQ / Smoking (low heat offset cooking). I was bored a while ago so I started a BBQ blog. Only one post so far, but I've got a few more planned, including chicken thighs. Here's my first post doing St Louis Style Ribs on the Kettle :bc:      http://backwoods-bbq.com/

Awesome....thanks! :bc:

• Like 1

Tomorrow night we will be cooking USDA Cho Angus "TOP" Sirloin from Creek Stone Farms the only Beef company in the world that does 100% Black hide Angus

the other manufactures do 51% Black hide. This will be going into the smoker till 125 deg and rested for an half hour .:bbq: The guys and gals beer and booze should make for a great night at Badger's Bar. 

ckf thanks for starting this thread I very much enjoy it.:bc:  

13331090_1183673328311913_4255562201104520702_n.jpg

13346750_1183673241645255_7359846812833024995_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/25/2016 at 9:59 PM, Axys1 said:

People eat with their eyes when it comes to beef which is okay when it comes to ground Beef. The problem is stores want shelf life so they are selling it to fresh but beef needs to break down or some call it wet ageing it has to be 3-6 week old for it to really eat good. Dry aging I can not stand it it taste like mold to me. Don't let anyone fool you the 90% of the best beef in the world comes from the Midwestern states of the good old USA and we all buy from the same packing houses. 

Long Prairie?

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Long Prairie?

Long Prairie is a cow kill company they do not kill steer meat 90% of all the cow meat is sold for their tenders the rest goes into ground beef with the exception of tongues oxtails and beef feet and heads they seem to manly go the the Mexican trade. :bc: Do not get me wrong Long Prairie does a nice job. 

Edited by Badger**

7 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Long Prairie is a cow kill company they do not kill steer meat 90% of all the cow meat is sold for their tenders the rest goes into ground beef with the exception of tongues oxtails and beef feet and heads there seem to manly go the the Mexican trade. :bc: Do not get me wrong Long Prairie does a nice job. 

I was hoping you'd say yes.  That is where we use to send the old dairy cows who were past their prime.  

• Like 1

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I was hoping you'd say yes.  That is where we use to send the old dairy cows who were past their prime.  

I have the utmost respect for you sir I would like to thank you for feeding the world I know first hand what it take to be a farmer and a dairy on top of that is a life time commitment. Some of my best friends are farmers. :bc:

5 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

I have the utmost respect for you sir I would like to thank you for feeding the world I know first hand what it take to be a farmer and a dairy on top of that is a life time commitment. Some of my best friends are farmers. :bc:

We don't have dairy animals anymore except young stock on contract.  We still have 50-75 head of beef at any given them and my in laws raise rice beef.  

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We don't have dairy animals anymore except young stock on contract.  We still have 50-75 head of beef at any given them and my in laws raise rice beef.  

Hell ya some of my friends did the switch also and I think they are much happier they did.

9 hours ago, Axys1 said:

Tomorrow night we will be cooking USDA Cho Angus "TOP" Sirloin from Creek Stone Farms the only Beef company in the world that does 100% Black hide Angus

the other manufactures do 51% Black hide. This will be going into the smoker till 125 deg and rested for an half hour .:bbq: The guys and gals beer and booze should make for a great night at Badger's Bar. 

ckf thanks for starting this thread I very much enjoy it.:bc:  

13331090_1183673328311913_4255562201104520702_n.jpg

13346750_1183673241645255_7359846812833024995_n.jpg

Looks like a great piece of meat...what did you rub it with? :bc:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Looks like a great piece of meat...what did you rub it with? :bc:

Hey Biggie Good Morning!! :bc:

A olive oil rub then Kosher salt fresh ground pepper and Garlic paprika onion powder time and rose marry. Time can over power meat so be liberal when using it but it brings out a very nice beefy flavor.  

11 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Hey Biggie Good Morning!! :bc:

A olive oil rub then Kosher salt fresh ground pepper and Garlic paprika onion powder time and rose marry. Time can over power meat so be liberal when using it but it brings out a very nice beefy flavor.  

Sounds delicious....I have never smoked anything but I do have a Weber Kettle so I want to give it a shot and I see that ckf smokes with his so there you go! :bc:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Sounds delicious....I have never smoked anything but I do have a Weber Kettle so I want to give it a shot and I see that ckf smokes with his so there you go! :bc:

The Weber Kettle does a very good job smoking. Here's a link to the blog post I did about smoking the pork shoulder last week :bc:  http://backwoods-bbq.com/index.php/2016/06/01/smoked-pork-shoulder-on-weber-kettle/

• Like 1

Smoking a chuck eye roast now, pepper stout beef sammiches for dinner.

Just finished up with the smoke in some pecan.

IMG_0598.JPG

And put down in for a few hours to bath in some good stuff. 3 beer job so far.

IMG_0600.JPG

Edited by Doos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doos said:

Smoking a chuck eye roast now, pepper stout beef sammiches for dinner.

Just finished up with the smoke in some pecan.

IMG_0598.JPG

And put down in for a few hours to bath in some good stuff. 3 beer job so far.

IMG_0600.JPG

Looks awesome :good:

Trying to decide if I'm going to foil the ribs or not this time. What do you guys usually do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Looks awesome :good:

Trying to decide if I'm going to foil the ribs or not this time. What do you guys usually do?

I like a bark on almost everything

• Like 1