***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Sorry guys. The pastrami was amazing

That looks tasty, Ben.

I picked up a slab of striploin. I'm looking for some ideas for what to do with it now.

I'm going to cut some steaks out of it until I get it down to a size that will fit in the smoker.

Im looking at getting a smoker soon can't really decide what I want if its just a simple electric Bradley or if I want to go the grill/smoker route like a traeger . My mother works for Napoleon so Im looking at the apollo charcoal grill water smoker. 

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Reevester said:

Im looking at getting a smoker soon can't really decide what I want if its just a simple electric Bradley or if I want to go the grill/smoker route like a traeger . My mother works for Napoleon so Im looking at the apollo charcoal grill water smoker. 

Thoughts?

I have both an Electric Bradley and a charcoal smoker from Bass Pro.  I like the simplicity of the Bradley and don't need to be on it checking for temp/water etc like the other.

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I have both an Electric Bradley and a charcoal smoker from Bass Pro.  I like the simplicity of the Bradley and don't need to be on it checking for temp/water etc like the other.

That was my thought but I normally hang outside all day or in the garage in the coming months so I will have no problem keeping an eye on things. I can't beat the price of the napoleon apollo so Ill probably end up with it shortly. 

Edited by Reevester

Charcoal doesn't require much once you get used to whatever you are using. I have a Weber Kettle that I use for smoking and it's pretty much set it and forget it after you get it figured out :bc:

42 minutes ago, ckf said:

Charcoal doesn't require much once you get used to whatever you are using. I have a Weber Kettle that I use for smoking and it's pretty much set it and forget it after you get it figured out :bc:

You mean the temperature they burn at or how fast they burn I take it? The apollo has a temp gauge for each level 

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

You mean the temperature they burn at or how fast they burn I take it? The apollo has a temp gauge for each level 

Yes, you will learn how to control the temperature of your smoker with the charcoal/wood chunks you are using. I can get about 8 hours at 250-275  with my Kettle using the snake method.

37 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yes, you will learn how to control the temperature of your smoker with the charcoal/wood chunks you are using. I can get about 8 hours at 250-275  with my Kettle using the snake method.

Thanks John, I really look forward to getting into it some more. 

27 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I do everything on a 22" weber at home and a 18" weber up at camp. It's something that relaxes me. If I wanted easy, I would just go out to eat. To each their own........

That's kind of the plan, plus I can sit around and drink while tending to it. :bc:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Thanks John, I really look forward to getting into it some more. 

That's kind of the plan, plus I can sit around and drink while tending to it. :bc:

Better pace yourself then. :lol:

30 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Better pace yourself then. :lol:

We had a shitty masterbuilt electric smoker once and smoked a bunch of racks of ribs for a Sunday race and me and the old man got way to drunk in the afternoon and when we were taking the trays out my old man dropped one on the gravel driveway. We rinsed them off put them back in and slopped some sauce on them, only one person out of about 10 asked why they were a bit crunchy. :lol: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Reevester said:

We had a shitty masterbuilt electric smoker once and smoked a bunch of racks of ribs for a Sunday race and me and the old man got way to drunk in the afternoon and when we were taking the trays out my old man dropped one on the gravel driveway. We rinsed them off put them back in and slopped some sauce on them, only one person out of about 10 asked why they were a bit crunchy. :lol: 

We've all done that, hence pace yourself.  :lol: