***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

On 6/26/2022 at 3:25 PM, 01mxz800 said:

looking at the Masterbuilt gravity charcoal grill/smoker

I have a 1050. Been a good grill so far. Tops out at 700. Get about 5-6 hours out of a full hopper smoking at 250. 

IMG_20200528_192003142.jpg

• Like 3

After having to wait to load every load and getting stuck in 5 back ups on the highway  some Little steaks, shish kabobs and sliced portobello shrooms and beer to relax....Rigid will know where I am stuck by the flag

20220627_181049.jpg

20220627_122227.jpg

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

After having to wait to load every load and getting stuck in 5 back ups on the highway  some Little steaks, shish kabobs and sliced portobello shrooms and beer to relax....Rigid will know where I am stuck by the flag

20220627_181049.jpg

20220627_122227.jpg

Glad I took 104 back from Rochester today rather than the Thruway! Good old camping world..:bc:

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Glad I took 104 back from Rochester today rather than the Thruway! Good old camping world..:bc:

4 more back ups going to Binghamton didn't get down there until almost 2:wall: a lot of road work in our area this year

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You can see where the point was trimmed off if you are questioning in the future.

Thanks! Going to smoke it on the 4th, never done beef before, usually do butts and ribs, pork loin. So pop'n the cherry..haha

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Thanks! Going to smoke it on the 4th, never done beef before, usually do butts and ribs, pork loin. So pop'n the cherry..haha

Brisket is the hardest cook there is. I’d suggest 210f for 12-16hrs or until done. You want it to hit about 200f. The key is to not dry it out. 

• Thanks 1

Flats are really tough to cook. Not much marbling so easy to dry out. I'd smoke it till 170 internal, pan it or wrap it with some beef broth and finish it around 200.

Edited by dz246
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dz246 said:

Flats are really tough to cook. Not much marbling so easy to dry out. I'd smoke it till 170 internal, pan it or wrap it with some beef broth and finish it around 200.

Trimming and leaving enough fat cap is key. Letting the fat tender over the meat and using very low and slow temp. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dz246 said:

Agree, mine were always too dry so I started wrapping after 6-7 hours a while ago. I like a crisp bark though so I put them back on for the last hour. Hard to find the balance.

I just bought this flat yesterday.

43F7AE7A-CF9A-4ED3-80C1-6F899A7EB0B1.thumb.jpeg.a7cb4d7b282f338c8a9336e1e4d7f7b9.jpeg

Just turned the smoker on. Having my mom over for ribs.

Celebrating my son receiving his diploma on Thursday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Agree, mine were always too dry so I started wrapping after 6-7 hours a while ago. I like a crisp bark though so I put them back on for the last hour. Hard to find the balance.

I just bought this flat yesterday.

43F7AE7A-CF9A-4ED3-80C1-6F899A7EB0B1.thumb.jpeg.a7cb4d7b282f338c8a9336e1e4d7f7b9.jpeg

Just turned the smoker on. Having my mom over for ribs.

Celebrating my son receiving his diploma on Thursday.

Sounds like a great day and Congrats to your son! 👍🏼🌞

• Like 1

11 hours ago, f7ben said:

Trimming and leaving enough fat cap is key. Letting the fat tender over the meat and using very low and slow temp. 

I've tried watching some videos on trimming brisket. Its tempting to trim way more than is necessary.

And sometimes its already trimmed thin when you buy.

Up at the lake Rigid, Ben nailed it. Not much for service up here. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, Rigid1 said:

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, f7ben said:

Brisket is the hardest cook there is. I’d suggest 210f for 12-16hrs or until done. You want it to hit about 200f. The key is to not dry it out. 

Well I got it on, going to kinda follow this recipe..🤞🤞🤞

https://tasteofartisan.com/smoked-brisket-flat/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

Damn I feel lame this weekend, only hots and burgers:sad:

16569705146623922247244434159526.jpg

Nothing wrong with a grilled burger :bc:

I didn't cook anything this weekend.... :lol:

6 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Well I got it on, going to kinda follow this recipe..🤞🤞🤞

https://tasteofartisan.com/smoked-brisket-flat/

There are certain two camps on time and temps for Brisket ....my best results ever resulted from a 20 hour cook and temps in the 210-215 range. That was a whole packer though so slightly different. 

Edited by f7ben

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Costco Choice Strips done on my Blackstone…turned out great.👍🏼

9146202C-89BC-4F1F-8EC1-A22DDAA1DD53.thumb.jpeg.fc8a2d9950a8c9550d9c1dff62e5244c.jpeg

That sure looks good.

Did you marinate them? I've always found Costco meat doesn't have much natural flavor.

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

That sure looks good.

Did you marinate them? I've always found Costco meat doesn't have much natural flavor.

Thanks and no marinade…hit them with the garlic, salt, pepper mix and cranked the heat to get a nice crust and then finished them on medium heat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

Damn I feel lame this weekend, only hots and burgers:sad:

16569705146623922247244434159526.jpg

We did a 10lb pork butt yesterday. It was very good. The sweet corn was delicious too!

• Like 2