***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

It has been an extremely challenging last month+ at work, so I decided that I'm going to be a complete degenerate today.

This afternoon's plan is to drink and smoke and shop for mountain bikes all afternoon at the shop.

Got 2 racks of ribs seasoned up and waiting for the smoker in a could hours.  

1 seasoned in Jax Cafe seasoning, 1 in Old Bay.  I'm skeptical of the 2nd, but we are going to giver a go!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

It has been an extremely challenging last month+ at work, so I decided that I'm going to be a complete degenerate today.

This afternoon's plan is to drink and smoke and shop for mountain bikes all afternoon at the shop.

Got 2 racks of ribs seasoned up and waiting for the smoker in a could hours.  

1 seasoned in Jax Cafe seasoning, 1 in Old Bay.  I'm skeptical of the 2nd, but we are going to giver a go!

Pics?

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Dry brine fish or no before smoking it?

Fish isn’t in my list of things I’m experienced with smoking. I’ve not heard of dry brining it as a popular method though. 

23 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Fish isn’t in my list of things I’m experienced with smoking. I’ve not heard of dry brining it as a popular method though. 

I picked up some salmon and trout to try, and have some sole fillets left to toss in as well.  I might skip the trout and smoke the other two, and pan fry the trout in butter.

10 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I picked up some salmon and trout to try, and have some sole fillets left to toss in as well.  I might skip the trout and smoke the other two, and pan fry the trout in butter.

My buddy made some canned kipper snacks out of brown trout and I swear to god I could eat that shit on crackers till I puked and then probably crack another beer and eat the puke too

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Dont pass on the trout. Ive had it smoked before. Awesome stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

My dad uses a liquid brine on the trout he smokes his lake trout filets, they turn out damn good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

Mid 70's 3 ribeyes, 2 strip steaks and portobello shrooms:bbq:

16508278075234056873508953042098.jpg

I got a couple thick cut chops going on later! Beautiful day in CNY Rich, enjoy bud!!:bc:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I got a couple thick cut chops going on later! Beautiful day in CNY Rich, enjoy bud!!:bc:

Hopefully the weather is changing for the better got a lot of shit to fix in the yard from all the shit I had to move around for the big shed last fall, lawn is torn to shit and wet as hell out back made fuck of a mess going through the mud

4 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

Hopefully the weather is changing for the better got a lot of shit to fix in the yard from all the shit I had to move around for the big shed last fall, lawn is torn to shit and wet as hell out back made fuck of a mess going through the mud

Tell me about it, I got my mower stuck today, had to pull it out with my truck and then proceeded to get my truck stuck.. FML

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Tell me about it, I got my mower stuck today, had to pull it out with my truck and then proceeded to get my truck stuck.. FML

My tractor is 4wd so I really churned up the back yard, feel your pain, going to be a lot of grass seed in my future ordered new 3pt tiller today, going to move garden as it was where shed went and I want to really work up the new spot

On 4/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, steve from amherst said:

Dont pass on the trout. Ive had it smoked before. Awesome stuff.

The father of the owner of Sisters, in St Germain Wi, brought some of his smoked trout dip in one day . It was excellent.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, racinfarmer said:

Dry brine fish or no before smoking it?

On 4/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, f7ben said:

3 cups brown sugar mixed with 1 cup salt,,,cover fish and put in fridge overnight. 

I'm thinking about a new smoker. The Pitboss has been ok. A few fights with the auger and the old lady burnt the shit out ,of it.

Looking at the new Mahogany 1000 from Pitboss. I want something a bit bigger and with wifi and Bluetooth.

Seeing Z Grills at some places for cheap.

Any opinions?

Customer just bought a top end Traeger and he says its a POS.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm thinking about a new smoker. The Pitboss has been ok. A few fights with the auger and the old lady burnt the shit out ,of it.

Looking at the new Mahogany 1000 from Pitboss. I want something a bit bigger and with wifi and Bluetooth.

Seeing Z Grills at some places for cheap.

Any opinions?

Customer just bought a top end Traeger and he says its a POS.

I switched to a quality electric cabinet smoker and will never go back.

Masterbuilt MB20070122 40 inch Digital Electric Smoker with Window and Legs, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HSV4DJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_1J486ENE702BMVCB6BRX?psc=1

• Like 2