***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Seatofmypants said:

You Nooks have some pretty goofy laws when it comes to food products.......

Guess I’ll be waiting until they open the border then, have you ship it to Florida.

6 hours in it’s at 155.

I tried out a new butcher on this one, Mennonite owned.

093E2776-16F9-4485-BE2E-1EF65580DF41.thumb.jpeg.5360e6f82040965a76c8447aa8778f18.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Seatofmypants said:

Glad everything arrived!!!  Its always dicey sending glass, but expensive lessons are usually best....  Did you try any of the product? :bc: 

Let me know when you start playing with them.  Tacos with Bold (without the packet in the shells) is life changing.  Prime on beef, just don't over do it....and The Works works on most everything. :bc: 

Were these my products?  :bc:  EDIT just saw that he used Prime.  Awesome!!!

I got my Prime on Saturday. Thanks Mike :bc:

I wonder what I'm going to use on the PRIME rib on Christmas  :lol:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

how does the camp chef do in the cold with no blanket.   I lost temp easily once in the low 50's in my little traeger which is why the prime rib yesterday was in the oven.  

It seems to be a little slower. When I did the babybacks a few weeks ago they took 6hrs instead of 5. That's using their high smoke setting which is around 220f.  If I bumped the temp up to 250 it probably would have offset the colder outdoor temperatures.

2 minutes ago, dz246 said:

I have the winter cover for my gmg. Did a brisket on Christmas Eve, and held temp pretty good. Don't think it ever got much above 0 degrees outside. 

Same here.  Saves a ton of pellets also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dz246 said:

I have the winter cover for my gmg. Did a brisket on Christmas Eve, and held temp pretty good. Don't think it ever got much above 0 degrees outside. 

That's a great idea. I googled and they make them for my Pit Boss too. I'll have to order one.

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That's a great idea. I googled and they make them for my Pit Boss too. I'll have to order one.

Save yourself some money and buy a welding blanket instead. I've used one for years and it's just as good as a manufacturer cover and serves a dual purpose if I need to cover something I'm working on from sparks too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RNRatched said:

Save yourself some money and buy a welding blanket instead. I've used one for years and it's just as good as a manufacturer cover and serves a dual purpose if I need to cover something I'm working on from sparks too. 

thanks I'll look into that

18 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

how does the camp chef do in the cold with no blanket.   I lost temp easily once in the low 50's in my little traeger which is why the prime rib yesterday was in the oven.  

mine was in the oven yesterday too. 350 for 1 hr then stayed in over for 4 hrs with oven off. then 45 min at 350 before serving, top notch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Pit Boss has let me down. No auger.

Cleaned out the pellets and the pellets that were left sucked up moisture and swelled. Plugged the auger right tight. Going to have to disassemble the auger to clean it out. Great. Big delay for my start.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Sad 1

Auger was completely cemented in to the tube. The pellets in the bottom 2 inch of the hopper were all swollen and the lower ones were all stuck together.

PITA to take the feeder side apart and chip the frozen pellets out from around the auger until I could finally get the auger to move a bit then clamped on with visegrips and brute force to turn it backwards to remove. Chipped the rest out with a long screw driver.

Reassembled and she's back in action.

Might have to think about emptying the hopper and auger after use but its never had this happen before.

Just now, Blackstar said:

Auger was completely cemented in to the tube. The pellets in the bottom 2 inch of the hopper were all swollen and the lower ones were all stuck together.

PITA to take the feeder side apart and chip the frozen pellets out from around the auger until I could finally get the auger to move a bit then clamped on with visegrips and brute force to turn it backwards to remove. Chipped the rest out with a long screw driver.

Reassembled and she's back in action.

Might have to think about emptying the hopper and auger after use but its never had this happen before.

That reminds me....

17 minutes ago, ckf said:

That reminds me....

Mine fired right up without any issues. It had only been 3-4 weeks since I last used it, but, I know they can clog up if pellets are left in the auger to long.