How to kill large ant nests on your lawn?

irv

I posted this in the CE section as well.

I have 2 large ant hills on my lawn and I am looking for a natural way to kill/eradicate them. Unfortunately, we can longer use pest killer/fertilizer mix up here where I live so I am wondering what others have used, naturally, to kill them?

I watch a few youtube vids and some say boiling water, Dawn dish soap, Borax, vinegar or simply drown them with a garden hose.

I assume most of you guys south of me in the U.S. can use pesticides but I am wondering, besides those, what else you have used that works?

Thanks. :bc:

I just purchased these at CDN Tire as per Vince's suggestion in the CE section. These are suppose to be the best? Time will tell, I guess? 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/terro-liquid-ant-baits-6-pk-0598829p.html

NEWS RELEASE

Media Contact

Carolyn Schinsky / Ryan PR / 314- 822-9784 / carolyn@ryan-pr.com

Arm Yourself Against Ant Invasions — The Best Ant Control Is Now in Canada

TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits Provide Effective, Long-term Ant Control, Both Indoors and Outdoors.

Brampton, On, Canada— June 27, 2013— It’s a fact of life. No homeowner is immune to the problem of ants. Whether they’re parading across your kitchen counter or ruining your backyard barbecue, ants are an unwelcome house guest. Now, there is a new, effective way to control ant invasions. TERRO® , the top selling brand of DIY ant baits in the United States for more than 90 years, was recently introduced to the Canadian marketplace. For long-term ant control, Canada now has access to TERRO®  for controlling unwanted armies of ants with their line of indoor and outdoor liquid ant baits.

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, click below:

“For effective, long-term control of common household ants, the first step is baiting the worker ants – the ants you see marching around inside your house – with TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits,” advises Stew Clark, Director of Research at TERRO®. “As the worker ants forage for food, they are drawn to the sweet liquid in the pre-filled ant bait stations. The ants enter the trap, consume the bait, and then return to the nest where they pass on the bait to the rest of the colony. Baiting is the only way to get rid of the ants you see and the thousands you don’t.”

The active ingredient in TERRO® ant bait products is formulated to kill the worker ant in two to three days. This gives the foraging ants enough time to get back to the colony and share the deadly bait with the rest of the ants, including the queen.

ter-us-articles-place-hereWhen using any TERRO® ant bait product, you’re initially going to see a lot more ants,” warns Clark. “When the foraging ants find the bait, they consume it and drop what is called a ‘trail pheromone’ back to the nest. The trail lets all the other worker ants know where the food supply is and they make a beeline for it. This explains the surge in ants when first placing the ant bait in and around your home. But be patient — in a day or two the ants will be nothing but a distant memory.”

Since most indoor ant infestations are linked to a colony outside, Clark also recommends setting up outdoor home barriers. “Treating the perimeter of your house with a TERRO® ant bait product provides an added line of defense against unwanted insects entering your home,” explains Clark.

Like all TERRO® ant bait products, TERRO® Outdoor Liquid Ant Baits provide fast-acting elimination of the queen and entire colony of Canadian ants. To use, simply place the convenient, ready-to-use liquid ant bait stations outdoors in areas where ants are observed, and secure the stations with the stakes provided. The durable, weather-resistant bait stations prevent the liquid bait from drying out, providing the ants with a continuous supply of food, day and night.

“The key to successfully using any TERRO® ant bait product is to make sure the ants find the bait, eat it and take it back to the nest to feed to the rest of the colony,” says Clark. “Be sure to eliminate all other food sources in the area. This will ensure the ants aren’t tempted to eat anything but the bait.”

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, visit http://www.woodstreambrands.ca/store/terro.

About TERRO

TERRO® is an industry leader in ant and pest control and has been a trusted brand for more than 90 years. Based in Lititz, PA, the company offers proven ant and pest control products including liquid ant baits, aerosol sprays, perimeter granules and ant dust products. TERRO® products are widely distributed at all leading hardware, home center, mass merchant, food and drug, farm and fleet, and independent garden center retailers nationwide. For more information on TERRO® products, call 1-800-800-1819 or visit www.terro.com, www.facebook.com/TerroDeadAnts or www.twitter.com/TerroDeadAnts.

@irv I had HUGE ant problem this year with several nests and coming in the house.  I used this:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/raid-liquid-ant-killer-0593936p.html#srp  I squirted it by entrances and onto the nests.  The first day I could see thousands of ants coming back and forth to it.  Within about 3 days...  0 ants anywhere.  Not sure about longevity but its been about 3wks so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odot1 said:

@irv I had HUGE ant problem this year with several nests and coming in the house.  I used this:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/raid-liquid-ant-killer-0593936p.html#srp  I squirted it by entrances and onto the nests.  The first day I could see thousands of ants coming back and forth to it.  Within about 3 days...  0 ants anywhere.  Not sure about longevity but its been about 3wks so far.

Thanks Sean. I have used that product before, and just bought some more today, but maybe I have been doing it wrong? I always just poured the stuff down the hole instead of beside/near it. I did put some out last year in a pickle jar lid on top of my big nest, and I did see the ants eating it, but the hill still remains. Like the Terro stuff I purchased today, maybe it isn't strong enough for these larger outdoor ants? I did poke a few holes in the hills today to find some voids (youtube vid suggestion) then poured some vinegar down them. I looked at my Terro baits a few times today and not once did I see an ant at them, but they were placed after the vinegar treatment so, just maybe, the vinegar actually did something? I let you know what I find/see in a few days.

Take care, and thanks again. :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

My buddy's dad always used gas. I'd see him going around the driveway and sidewalks, where ever ants were living, and pouring gas in and around the hole. Of course it killed the grass and ever living plant too but hey, it killed the ants.

I

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

My buddy's dad always used gas. I'd see him going around the driveway and sidewalks, where ever ants were living, and pouring gas in and around the hole. Of course it killed the grass and ever living plant too but hey, it killed the ants.

I

And on that note , let's all sing the Pink Panther theme song to " Dead Ant , Dead Ant  ,"

On 6/11/2017 at 8:54 PM, odot1 said:

Good luck Irv!!!! 

Thanks Sean. I have checked the past few days now and I haven't seen an any since. I can't say it's the Terro baits I purchased or the vinegar I poured down some holes I made, but the big ant hills are fairly dormant/inactive as of today.

I had a large breakout of smaller ants in the back yard where the patio and the house meets the other day so I laid out 2-3 of those Terro baits, and as well, nary an ant anywhere, not even smaller, individual ant nests we get sporadically throughout our interlock.  

On 6/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, Blackstar said:

I

Gas will definitely work, as I have read that numerous times during my search, but so far, these seem to be doing the trick, thankfully! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks Sean. I have checked the past few days now and I haven't seen an any since. I can't say it's the Terro baits I purchased or the vinegar I poured down some holes I made, but the big ant hills are fairly dormant/inactive as of today.

I had a large breakout of smaller ants in the back yard where the patio and the house meets the other day so I laid out 2-3 of those Terro baits, and as well, nary an ant anywhere, not even smaller, individual ant nests we get sporadically throughout our interlock.  

Gas will definitely work, as I have read that numerous times during my search, but so far, these seem to be doing the trick, thankfully! 

A less expensive and less "explosive" option if someone were to drop a cigarette butt is diesel fuel. You can actually put one out in a jug of diesel.

6 hours ago, irv said:

Awesome...  glad things worked out for you...  I'm still ant free so far!!  Seems to be bad year for them around my area.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎15 at 2:32 PM, 02sled said:

A less expensive and less "explosive" option if someone were to drop a cigarette butt is diesel fuel. You can actually put one out in a jug of diesel.

You can put a cigarette out in gasoline as well.

1 minute ago, Let it Snow! said:

Just have to make sure you don't hit the edge of the container!

True, but pouring a little gas on the ground and butting a smoke on it will never ignite it. Cliffy is wrong again.

Boiling water, gas will work? However, you must kill the queen to kill the nest. Thus you need lots of fluid for it to reach the queen, unless you get lucky? Use a shovel to open the nest up 1st and go pretty deep!

Edited by yarddawg

8 hours ago, yarddawg said:

Boiling water, gas will work? However, you must kill the queen to kill the nest. Thus you need lots of fluid for it to reach the queen, unless you get lucky? Use a shovel to open the nest up 1st and go pretty deep!

That ant poison in the little tins works well, they go in and take it back to the nest. The queen could be twenty feet from the entrance.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, Boered said:

That ant poison in the little tins works well, they go in and take it back to the nest. The queen could be twenty feet from the entrance.

No luck with them!