If anyone is the market now is a good time to buy a ram

atc

1 minute ago, atc said:

For me with the max tow 3.5 ecoboost it has been great on fuel the 2.7 slightly better. Both better then the 5L.

I'll have to drive one and see, I'm just stuck on an 8 is probably my problem. You ever have issues with transmission heat while towing long distance? I assume you have tow package with Trans and oil cooler rads on them? 

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

That's good. 

But you looking now means a 3.5 10 speed. I personally wouldn't even consider the 5L then. I just advise against panoramic roof lol. 

With the rain past week not only rattling bug water sloshing around internally in there eaves trough system

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

I'll have to drive one and see, I'm just stuck on an 8 is probably my problem. You ever have issues with transmission heat while towing long distance? I assume you have tow package with Trans and oil cooler rads on them? 

No issue I get max tow package though and tow mirrors with mirror spotlights. Very nice feature. 

Only time I ever see temp rise is our Tobermory trip every year hill coming out of wiarton. But no concerns.

1 minute ago, atc said:

But you looking now means a 3.5 10 speed. I personally wouldn't even consider the 5L then. I just advise against panoramic roof lol. 

With the rain past week not only rattling bug water sloshing around internally in there eaves trough system

Nope won't need that, just sliding back window.

1 minute ago, atc said:

No issue I get max tow package though and tow mirrors with mirror spotlights. Very nice feature. 

Only time I ever see temp rise is our Tobermory trip every year hill coming out of wiarton. But no concerns.

Yeah I don't need the extd mirrors just an open trail and the tent trailer being towed. 

20 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Mine has the trailer tow package with the integrated electric brake controller and transmission cooler. Towed a friends two horse trailer empty to Florence Kentucky and back with a horse on board. Did tag team driving there and back essentially only stopping for fuel, food and washrooms. 4 hours driving 4 hours off. Not a single problem with the transmission heat. The on dash trans temp gauge was constant.

With a tent trailer and an open trailer you'll never have a problem.

Edited by 02sled

Sounds like roughly the same deal when I purchased my Ram.

I don't pull/tow a lot with it but it more than meets my needs, and with a best of of 11.2 L/100 km's, I am not complaining about the MPG either. (Hemi/6sp/3.42 gear) Just over 53,000 km's so far and still loving it! Definitely one of the best trucks I have ever owned. :bc:

IMG_0470 (Large).JPG

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

IMG_0659 (Large).JPG

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

I have. 2 guys at work have new ones. Ones a rebel and it's been in for a few issues already with 30k on it. And I meet a guy sledding that ran out of gas and was late so they must be hard on gas. :lol:

:lol:ass...

That was a first for me, no idea what happened, luckily I was  200 feet from the gas station.

I've owned three new ones and knock on wood been fortunate with all of them and between open car trailer, enclosed car trailers, sled trailer, pop up camper and travel trailer, all been good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reevester said:

I had a bud with the 2.7 and we took it to Cochrane with 2 sleds and it seemed worse on gas then my old mans 10 5.4 was. :dunno:

I have heard that from so many people....towing sucks the fuel bad, but unless you buy a diesel, what doesn't.

Tent trailers and sled trailers are not heavy.  A Honda Civic can tow those...... :)

You pull a trailer and a boat with the 3.5? I pull a heavy tent trailer a few thousand k a year and a 2 place sled trailer on long hauls most times too and I'm really leaning to the 5l as I like to be in hurry most times.

Why would you expect a transmission heat problem with that load?  Unless you're doing 150km/h up steep grades.  :)

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

Mine has the trailer tow package with the integrated electric brake controller and transmission cooler. Towed a friends two horse trailer empty to Florence Kentucky and back with a horse on board. Did tag team driving there and back essentially only stopping for fuel, food and washrooms. 4 hours driving 4 hours off. Not a single problem with the transmission heat. The on dash trans temp gauge was constant.

With a tent trailer and an open trailer you'll never have a problem.

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Tent trailers and sled trailers are not heavy.  A Honda Civic can tow those...... :)

You should see some of those tent trailers on the market these days....very popular segment that I am sure are also starting to get up there in weight.

What kinda weight are we talking? 

Modern regular travel trailers are much lighter than the old ones, so if tent trailers aren't lighter and cheaper, what's the point of them? 

They are still light, that is kind of the reason they are so popular.....but they have also come out with taller longer versions plus some have slide outs, etc.......that do start to add some weight.

I had 3 brand new trucks.  A Ford, and 2 Rams. 

I'll never buy a Ford again...... was absolute crap.  Quit on me twice, had to be repainted, column fell apart, headliner fell down...... it really went on and on.  Was my first brand new vehicle. 

Just my experience.  Both Rams were really solid. 

47 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

I love my Ecoboost, better gas mileage than my 2016 Chev 5.3 and I had a 2017 ram for one month with the hemi.

Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Had to sell off family heirlooms to pay the gas bill.

3.5?

23 hours ago, atc said:

New trucks have been a bit of a hobby of mine lately lol. 

But more thinking out loud this time I think.  With our dollar the way it is. It's been pretty neat driving a truck for 4-6 mths trading in getting more then you paid and an even better deal on the new one.

Since January 2016

Titanxd 

Titanxd

F150

Possibly another

Titanxd or a ram limited 

The ford has definitely been better then my 2015. But they still haven't fixed the panoramic roof issues. Damn thing drives me nuts rattling. 3.5 ecoboost non 10 speed has been great on fuel as well. Stuck at 12L/100km  as my every day average. 

hit your reset button on your milage. or you must drive like a woman. I have '16 ecoboost with 3.55 rear end and the best i'v seen is 14.8 combined. even highway is 14.8.  it has been a little worse since i changed the plugs. but i spin the tires like my '88 mustang off the lights :)  i pull my 5000 boat like it wasnt there. just want a 6.5 box and better gas milage

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

hit your reset button on your milage. or you must drive like a woman. I have '16 ecoboost with 3.55 rear end and the best i'v seen is 14.8 combined. even highway is 14.8.  it has been a little worse since i changed the plugs. but i spin the tires like my '88 mustang off the lights :)  i pull my 5000 boat like it wasnt there. just want a 6.5 box and better gas milage

I have reset twice in 12000 km. 

Coldest part of winter higher 12's

But I'm rarely over 100km an hour. Pretty straight forward drive to Newmarket I stay on woodbine and avoid 404. I do drive though That's 12000 km in 4 months. 

4 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

City Highway on the Ford lying gauge I'm around 13.8.

When I keep it under 110 and just cruise on the highway I'm about 10.5

Frankly all I know is that Ram had me in the gas station all the time.

8sp with what gear ratio, UTS? No complaints with my Hemi 6sp 3.42. 

Okay here goes.

2013 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost.  Sold with 36,000kms.

Range of driving. All fuel recorded in Road trip app.  Anywhere from 18.67l/100km hauling foot enclosed trailer weighing approx 6,000lbs.

best tank was 12.55L/100km.   990km trip may 2015 with 32,000kms on truck 

mostly in 13.5l/100km range mixed driving.  15.23l/100km lifetime average  

2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport  hemi with 8spd. bought in March 2017  

truck now has 8,434km on it.

Last tank was 12.17l/100km.  Mid grade fuel as per manual.

First tanks were 17l/100km.

It has been getting better as it breaks in.