Minnesota Passes Bill Giving Illegal Immigrants Access To Free College Education

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lmao:

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/minnesota-passes-bill-giving-illegal-immigrants-access-to-free-college-education/

Minnesota has approved a bill that would allow illegal immigrants to benefit from the state’s education aid program, proposing to make tuition 100% free in higher education if families make less than $80,000.

HF 2073 is a recent measure connected to college education that uplifts the North Star Promise tuition fee program. North Star Promise allows eligible students in the state of Minnesota, including illegal immigrants, to be eligible for free college tuition as long as their family’s adjusted gross income is less than $80,000.

The tuition fee is applicable for enrollees in a two or four-year program within the University of Minnesota or Minnesota state schools.

The legislation passed both the Minnesota House and Senate, with Democrat Governor Tim Walz authorizing the program on May 24th. The legislature’s Democrat majority voted in support of the bill.

Applicant requirements state that those interested will have to be graduates of a Minnesota high school or must have resided inside the state for at least one year, without enrolling in college for six months. Applicants should have also applied for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or State aid.

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Free college for foreigners! I like it!

Its awesome.   Can't wait for reparations for illegal Mexican's here because "we" took their land too.  :lol:  

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Its awesome.   Can't wait for reparations for illegal Mexican's here because "we" took their land too.  :lol:  

Everyone should line up for their reparations!

7 minutes ago, Anler said:

Everyone should line up for their reparations!

I should!!!  I'm part Irish and we know they got fucked when they came over.  :lol:  

By 2020 State, Federal and local govts already spent around $500+ billion on higher education.   Keep in mind this is not tax dollars going to research....that would likely add considerably.   With around 18 million students that's almost $28,000 per student.   FUBAR.

https://www.urban.org/policy-centers/cross-center-initiatives/state-and-local-finance-initiative/state-and-local-backgrounders/higher-education-expenditures#Question2Higher

How much do state and local governments spend on higher education?

In 2020, state and local governments spent $321 billion on higher education, or 9 percent of state and local direct general spending.2 

Overall, 86 percent of higher education direct spending occurred at the state level in 2020. In 23 states, 100 percent of higher education spending occurred at the state level. In 2020, California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Mississippi, and Wyoming were the only states where local direct spending on higher education accounted for 25 percent or more of combined higher education expenditures.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/184069/federal-funds-for-education-and-research/

In 2021, about 174.9 billion U.S. dollars were funded by the government for postsecondary education programs in the United States. A further 92.07 billion U.S. dollars were funded by the government for elementary and secondary education in that year.

38 minutes ago, Highmark said:

In Minnesota it’s the Somalians we owe to. Not the Mexicans 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Anler said:

Free college for foreigners! I like it!

Little Jimmy and Jody six pack get to be 150 grand in debt. Abdul from Somalia gets to go for free. Sounds legit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I really don’t see an issue with this. If a person is willing to use education to develop a trade or skill, more power to them. 

Of course you don't have an issue with it, your not the one paying for it.

Any issue with the ~$20 billion increase in the budget for 24-25?

6 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Of course you don't have an issue with it, your not the one paying for it.

Any issue with the ~$20 billion increase in the budget for 24-25?

Well then, let's keep them uneducated and see what cost more in the long run.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Trade school I'm all for it.   We need more of them and less gender studies and other virtually useless degrees.

College loans should be like a mortgage.   We will borrow you in a range for what your occupation will pay.  Allowing kids to go $200K in debt for a degree that pays $50K is insane.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Trade school I'm all for it.   We need more of them and less gender studies and other virtually useless degrees.

College loans should be like a mortgage.   We will borrow you in a range for what your occupation will pay.  

Trade schools are running at capacity. There's a waiting list at most. As a side note, I went to trade school and got two associate degrees and completed one apprenticeship. I hated the trade. Bored out of my skull. Was a paycheck and nothing more. So they aren't for everyone. As for liberal arts degrees, employment numbers are good for graduates. About half go on to get their graduate degrees and typically do very well. I have several individuals in my family with a BA in liberal arts. They are all doing quite well. The trades need a resurgence and by the look of things it's here. If an individual has a college degree of any type, there's a few reasons they're not working. Drugs or booze, mental or physical illness, parents are supporting them, or they're lazy. As for college loans, they should fall under bankruptcy law. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Trade schools are running at capacity. There's a waiting list at most. As a side note, I went to trade school and got two associate degrees and completed one apprenticeship. I hated the trade. Bored out of my skull. Was a paycheck and nothing more. So they aren't for everyone. As for liberal arts degrees, employment numbers are good for graduates. About half go on to get their graduate degrees and typically do very well. I have several individuals in my family with a BA in liberal arts. They are all doing quite well. The trades need a resurgence and by the look of things it's here. If an individual has a college degree of any type, there's a few reasons they're not working. Drugs or booze, mental or physical illness, parents are supporting them, or they're lazy. As for college loans, they should fall under bankruptcy law. 

Not around me.   We work with 2 different CC's on hiring welders and machinists and while enrollment is up they are hardly at capacity.  I have very good friends in both the electrical and plumbing business' and they would easily have hired more the past 5 years if available.   Job availability is very good....if you aren't working you don't want to or can't so absolutely agree on the that.   My son just graduated with a CIT degree and had plenty of opportunity.   Found a job in 2 weeks.  Yes college loans should fall under bankruptcy law but that doesn't mean common sense to the system shouldn't be applied.  There is plenty that could be done to make college far, far more affordable without it being a burden on American's who paid for their own or chose not to go.  

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I can see this argument. If we’re going to be handing out welfare, the most efficient way to do so is with the hope of getting them off welfare. Education lowers that long term, same with crime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akvanden said:

I can see this argument. If we’re going to be handing out welfare, the most efficient way to do so is with the hope of getting them off welfare. Education lowers that long term, same with crime.

Great then for every kid that doesn't go to college give them $80K to put in a 401K so they can retire with millions.   

We already spend over $500 billion in taxes on higher ed for 18m students.  $27K each.   How about we rework that system into something where we don't need $400 billion more.  Hell some colleges have more administrators than they do students.  :lol:  So not taking into consideration other costs a each student has to pay for 4 years salary and bennies of one of them.   Public schools not much better.   16K plus workers at the University of Iowa....33K students.   1:2 ratio still means a high cost to the taxpayer and student.   I removed all the employee's from the UofI hosptials and clinics. 

Edited by Highmark

43 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Great then for every kid that doesn't go to college give them $80K to put in a 401K so they can retire with millions.   

While we’re at it, let’s give people the option to invest SS into the market too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akvanden said:

While we’re at it, let’s give people the option to invest SS into the market too. 

All for that. :bc:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

College loans should be like a mortgage.   We will borrow you in a range for what your occupation will pay.  Allowing kids to go $200K in debt for a degree that pays $50K is insane.  

Different interest rates for different degrees too.

• Like 1