Student Debt Relief, Biden veto power

Here we go again.  Biden vetos a bill that was passed by both the senate and house.

But Biden just wants to keep spending $$$.  This is why McCarthy should have stood his ground.  Fuck biden.

A POTUS who has 81 million votes shouldn't have to buy more votes if he was confident in his policies.  The DNC is losing the young person vote and need to give them some money.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

A POTUS who has 81 million votes shouldn't have to buy more votes if he was confident in his policies.  The DNC is losing the young person vote and need to give them some money.

How much did orange man spend? 

Just now, SkisNH said:

Less if you break out the emergency covid funding. 

Yeah, he actually would have been one of the least spending POTUS in the last 20 years without COVID.

But then there was always Democrats that wanted more $$$

The $320 billion deal followed months of posturing and behind-the-scenes talks. It will add hundreds of billions to the deficit and represents the latest piece of evidence that Washington policymakers in both parties have turned away from any worries about the debt.

So who won out in the negotiations, and who got left behind?

WINNERS

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)

Pelosi maneuvered deftly through the negotiations to secure a deal that won Democrats one of their top priorities: a significant increase in domestic spending.

{mosads}The $27 billion more in nondefense, discretionary spending will go toward health, education, science research, housing and other areas of concern to Democrats.

11 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Yeah, he actually would have been one of the least spending POTUS in the last 20 years without COVID.

But then there was always Democrats that wanted more $$$

The $320 billion deal followed months of posturing and behind-the-scenes talks. It will add hundreds of billions to the deficit and represents the latest piece of evidence that Washington policymakers in both parties have turned away from any worries about the debt.

So who won out in the negotiations, and who got left behind?

WINNERS

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)

Pelosi maneuvered deftly through the negotiations to secure a deal that won Democrats one of their top priorities: a significant increase in domestic spending.

{mosads}The $27 billion more in nondefense, discretionary spending will go toward health, education, science research, housing and other areas of concern to Democrats.

Covid was a poor excuse for PPP loans, nothing but a 900 billion give away to those already wealthy and didn't need it but you're crying about student loan forgiveness when PPP was far worse?  Neither one should ever happen but if you're going to cry perhaps cry about the larger problem.

• USA Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

How much did orange man spend? :news:

What does this have to do with the orange guy?

I got a daughter that was able to graduate with a useful degree.  Her mom and I helped but she took out student loans for her 1/3rd and was able to pay her part off in a couple years.

I have a son that is a junior now and he has been able to keep up with his part of the payments and will possibility finish a bachelors' debt free.  I can then change my name to semipoorsledder.

Why can't people take on their own debt?  If you can't get a job go after the school that gave you a degree that is holding you back.

This is all about votes.... prove me wrong...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Covid was a poor excuse for PPP loans, nothing but a 900 billion give away to those already wealthy and didn't need it but you're crying about student loan forgiveness when PPP was far worse?  Neither one should ever happen but if you're going to cry perhaps cry about the larger problem.

I am not arguing with you.  I was never for the PPP loans.   I am not quite sure what you want done now about it.  Right now this is about student debt relief, a 400 billion plus giveaway and I know it goes to students now.  The real criminal recipients are the colleges and universities that charged that money for tuition.  That is what caused these people to take out the loans. 

The colleges and universities should be giving a % of the money back to those people, not the taxpayer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Why can't people take on their own debt?  If you can't get a job go after the school that gave you a degree that is holding you back.

This is all about votes.... prove me wrong...

1000%

Edited by Mag6240

30 minutes ago, racer254 said:

I am not arguing with you.  I was never for the PPP loans.   I am not quite sure what you want done now about it.  Right now this is about student debt relief, a 400 billion plus giveaway and I know it goes to students now.  The real criminal recipients are the colleges and universities that charged that money for tuition.  That is what caused these people to take out the loans. 

The colleges and universities should be giving a % of the money back to those people, not the taxpayer.

Come on dude pull your head out of your ass. You cry about SLF and it didn't even happen yet PPP actually happened and it was an absolute shame. The point is perhaps you should cry about the whale instead of crying about the guppy. What should happen about PPP? The govt. should make most of those businesses pay back those loans also just like you and everybody else expects the students to do.  

And yet the cause of the biggest single one year expense the American taxpayer has ever seen (covid spending) goes relatively uninvestigated.   Fucking insane.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Come on dude pull your head out of your ass. You cry about SLF and it didn't even happen yet PPP actually happened and it was an absolute shame. The point is perhaps you should cry about the whale instead of crying about the guppy. What should happen about PPP? The govt. should make most of those businesses pay back those loans also just like you and everybody else expects the students to do.  

This bill that stopped SLF passed both the house and senate.  But now the POTUS, a democrat, vetoes it.  We have a chance to stop one, not the other.  It will take another bill to address PPP.  This is a bout stopping the constant loan relief, not fixing the past, yet.

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

And yet the cause of the biggest single one year expense the American taxpayer has ever seen (covid spending) goes relatively uninvestigated.   Fucking insane.   

Lets not forget, they also said it "will keep the government operating through September, the end of the fiscal year"

Was that a flat out lie?

Edited by racer254

I'm with Racer on this one.  This handout is pure and unnecessary vote purchasing and a literal slap in the face of every person who went to college and paid their debts or worse, people who didn't go to college and are being asked to pay someone else's DEBT.

This said... where the fuck is the conversation from Democrats AND Republicans to make college and university more affordable in the first place?   The good for nothing, do nothing procrastinating pieces of shit.   Same goes for social security and Medicare solvency.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm with Racer on this one.  This handout is pure and unnecessary vote purchasing and a literal slap in the face of every person who went to college and paid their debts or worse, people who didn't go to college and are being asked to pay someone else's DEBT.

This said... where the fuck is the conversation from Democrats AND Republicans to make college and university more affordable in the first place?   The good for nothing, do nothing procrastinating pieces of shit.   Same goes for social security and Medicare solvency.  

No shit Sherlock but it's truly mind blowing that people are not more upset about PPP as they are about SLF.

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

No shit Sherlock but it's truly mind blowing that people are not more upset about PPP as they are about SLF.

I'm not happy about either... PPP won't get clawed back or investigated.  Biden vetoing the end of student loan forgiveness is in a nutshell... bullshit. 

By 2020 State, Federal and local govts already spent around $500+ billion on higher education.   Keep in mind this is not tax dollars going to research....that would likely add considerably.   With around 18 million students that's almost $28,000 per student.   FUBAR.

https://www.urban.org/policy-centers/cross-center-initiatives/state-and-local-finance-initiative/state-and-local-backgrounders/higher-education-expenditures#Question2Higher

How much do state and local governments spend on higher education?

In 2020, state and local governments spent $321 billion on higher education, or 9 percent of state and local direct general spending.2 

Overall, 86 percent of higher education direct spending occurred at the state level in 2020. In 23 states, 100 percent of higher education spending occurred at the state level. In 2020, California, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Mississippi, and Wyoming were the only states where local direct spending on higher education accounted for 25 percent or more of combined higher education expenditures.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/184069/federal-funds-for-education-and-research/

In 2021, about 174.9 billion U.S. dollars were funded by the government for postsecondary education programs in the United States. A further 92.07 billion U.S. dollars were funded by the government for elementary and secondary education in that year.

Edited by Highmark

Can we be mad about both the PPP and student loan handouts?  Is that possible in a politically divided country we can call out bad policy when we see it?

Keep in mind, the PPP forgiveness passed both the house and senate with bipartisan support.  The student loan forgiveness is something the Biden admin cooked up.  There was bipartisan support in both the house and senate to reverse that policy but Biden vetoed it.

What will happen is SCOTUS will throw it out and Biden will go back to the playbook.  Rules like income based repayments, payment freezes, forgiveness after a certain number of payments, etc. will be their next strategy.  It's a good political strategy, it keeps are large number of voters financially dependent on continuing to have Democrats in charge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, racer254 said:

That’s what happens when the GOP fields a horseshit candidate. 

16 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Can we be mad about both the PPP and student loan handouts?  Is that possible in a politically divided country we can call out bad policy when we see it?

Keep in mind, the PPP forgiveness passed both the house and senate with bipartisan support. 

and several of them and their cronies took complete and full advantage of it.

one of many that stand out which I recall was... 

https://www.businessinsider.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-student-loan-forgiveness-unfair-ppp-loan-2022-8

we may not all agree that covid was a 'scam', but most of us will likely agree it was the biggest grifting, skimming and outright theft of the American taxpayers dollars in history... with no plan to pay it back. 

poor management by the D's and R's... Trump and Biden. 

shameful 

• Like 3