11 Michigan men charged in major U.S. diesel engine tampering case

5 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

It's a shame that they have ruined the reliability of diesel trucks with this nonsense....if I had a diesel I would do a Def delete for sure. 

Also a 5in straight pipe 

11 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

It's a shame that they have ruined the reliability of diesel trucks with this nonsense....if I had a diesel I would do a Def delete for sure. 

I’ve always taken you for a Powerstroke 6.0 kind of guy. :lolz:

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

They fucking destroyed diesels. Just picked mine up this afternoon after getting all that shit fixed just to get the check engine light to go out so it will pass inspection 

$3236 , obviously my last fucking oil burner.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve always taken you for a Powerstroke 6.0 kind of guy. :lolz:

Hey dont laugh , when they finally got the 6.0 right it rocked. Performance diesel guys still love that motor as it responds to mods better then any other.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Hey dont laugh , when they finally got the 6.0 right it rocked. Performance diesel guys still love that motor as it responds to mods better then any other.

It’s all yours. I’ll go with the 7.3. 

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

But they were involved in "a scheme to increase fuel mileage", what were they thinking!?

They were saving the planet and were repremanded for it by enviro nazi’s.

38 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

my 06 f 350 with the 6.0 was the best truck I ever had

When they ran, look out!

a fellow near here just p-pumped a 6.O in a pulling truck.  

• Like 1

I'm new truck shopping right now and diesels aren't even really in the picture.  $10k more and the new era of gassers from GM and Ford with 10 gears are more than enough unless you're regularly towing over 15,000 lbs.  No DEF, no DPF, no crazy complicated super high pressure injection system... and $10k buys a ton of gas so the fuel economy difference is moot.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'm new truck shopping right now and diesels aren't even really in the picture.  $10k more and the new era of gassers from GM and Ford with 10 gears are more than enough unless you're regularly towing over 15,000 lbs.  No DEF, no DPF, no crazy complicated super high pressure injection system... and $10k buys a ton of gas so the fuel economy difference is moot.

I thought the same and went to a gas. Way harder on fuel towing even small loads and no power in the hills. I'll stay with a deisel. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

I thought the same and went to a gas. Way harder on fuel towing even small loads and no power in the hills. I'll stay with a deisel. 

I sold my last diesel pre emissions. I agree on the power and towing,  but the trade off on cost and reliability are just too much to ignore.

When a new diesel goes in the shop you can pretty much start the cheque,  000.00 

Whether there is one digit in front,  or two digits is the only question.

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Yes

I sold my last diesel pre emissions. I agree on the power and towing,  but the trade off on cost and reliability are just too much to ignore.

When a new diesel goes in the shop you can pretty much start the cheque,  000.00 

Whether there is one digit in front,  or two digits is the only question.

I don't keep them past warranty. I don't keep any vehicle past warranty for that matter. Only issues I've had on my non deleted deisels have been DEF related. 

Edited by Steve753

9 hours ago, Steve753 said:

I only tow my RV about 6000-8000 miles a year, and it's only a 26' travel trailer.  Gasser will be fine for my needs.  My little GM 5.3L actually does a surprisingly good job keeping it moving.  6% grades above 6000 feet of elevation, I'll let it drop down to about 50 MPH to save it a bit.  I've been talking to people I know with similar sized setups with the new crop of big gassers, including the GM 10 speed, and they're rarely ever screaming above 3500 RPM.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love a Duramax, but the complexity of modern diesels has flipped the reliability narrative on its head, and they're expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I only tow my RV about 6000-8000 miles a year, and it's only a 26' travel trailer.  Gasser will be fine for my needs.  My little GM 5.3L actually does a surprisingly good job keeping it moving.  6% grades above 6000 feet of elevation, I'll let it drop down to about 50 MPH to save it a bit.  I've been talking to people I know with similar sized setups with the new crop of big gassers, including the GM 10 speed, and they're rarely ever screaming above 3500 RPM.

Don't get me wrong.  I'd love a Duramax, but the complexity of modern diesels has flipped the reliability narrative on its head, and they're expensive.

I've heard good things about the 6.2 with the 10 speed. 

:bc: