Looking for Expedition extreme review

SkisNH

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about my next sled. I currently ride a 2020 polaris 137 with a 1.5 storm. I ride northern maine so bigger trails and closed fire roads. I am looking for real world experience with the extreme for fast(ish) ridding on hard pack days (maneuverability/handling and comfort)...I'm sure the long track will handle trail breaking and fire roads better. 

Also, how does it go through the bumps. I would like to maintain a reasonable pace even if the trail is junk. Can the rear skid handle the abuse?

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about my next sled. I currently ride a 2020 polaris 137 with a 1.5 storm. I ride northern maine so bigger trails and closed fire roads. I am looking for real world experience with the extreme for fast(ish) ridding on hard pack days (maneuverability/handling and comfort)...I'm sure the long track will handle trail breaking and fire roads better. 

Also, how does it go through the bumps. I would like to maintain a reasonable pace even if the trail is junk. Can the rear skid handle the abuse?

I believe @DriftBusta has one and also rides Maine ask him.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
On 1/17/2023 at 8:32 AM, DriftBusta said:

I have about 600 miles on my Expedition Extreme 900 R now.  I know it’s not going to be a top end monster, and thats not why I bought it.  But I will say it hooks up like no modern sled I've ever owned short of a full on drag sled.  180 hp and 20x154x1.8 just digs out of the hole hard in loose or groomed snow.  Hard pan or ice ,probably not but again, I didn't buy it for drag racing..  I am looking forward to lining up against some other sleds for at least some shorter distances though.

@SkisNH   He does have one here is a review I thought he had a longer review but can’t find it.

Edited by 800renegaderider

Sorry man, I've been at a business meeting last couple days in Stowe VT, just caught this.  Give me a bit to write something more detailed until I get home later.  Long and short is great touring/backcountry sled, handles like a shorter track sled and it will go almost anywhere,  Not a tree sled mind you, but really hard to get it stuck.   Little disappointed with the top end, but mine isn't hitting peak rs, so I need to look into that.  :bc: 

So one of the coolest things about the sled is a 20 x 154 foot print, which gives it tremendous traction and ablity to float and chug through deep snow.  Mines the turbo, so you can throw it in eco mode which allows it to crawl out of most problems if you don't let it trench too bad.  Its an articulating skid so it handles more like a 146, but will back up way better than a normal sled in deep snow.  Obviously its heavy, so if you're used to ripping a short track or even a mountain sled, its not going to be as nimble.  The wider seating stance takes a little getting used to, so if you're say under 5'8" you might want to try one on for size first.  Great sled for putting on a lotta miles.  My brother and I put on over 800 miles in a little over 3 days up into Quebec then back down to Maine.  Tons of Linq options including a huge cargo box if you want to put tons of supplies in.  Pretty happy overall, but wish it would go 100 mph.  Kind of my threshold for Canada cruising without having to keep it clamped all day.  I know it has the juice but its not hitting max revs, so I'll need to play with the clutching a bit.  The 1.8 track is great, suspension feels real good, although he compression adjustment is a pain in the ass.  I hate the DS3 skis just like I hated the DS2s, I swapped mine out for Pilot 6.9s.  7.3s work too.

320766579_852333499411959_7439078011534057812_n.jpg

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Getting mildly enthused about this season.  I want to give my clutches some attention as the sled should pull 7800, and I had trouble getting over 7400, and I know the top end is suffering. Everything else is adjusted to spec. Stiffer springs etc?, it’s been years and I hate needing special tools, fucking with shit like clutching these days.  Any recommendations for a good honest clutch tuner?  Sometimes it’s as simple as one spring.