Speaker repair....Mindblower speakers

• Platinum Contributing Member

Haha... Yeah I guess I just like it loud and feel like having someone punching the back of my seat with the base.

The mind blowers deliver that and they were very durable I could crank those things up to ridiculous volume levels.

Once they finally did blow, I went the route of putting amplifiers in the trunk, got a nice equalizer and a set of what was top-notch at the time Infinity speakers.  Nope... still no match for the mind blowers and I blew those infinities up rather quickly.

Then I did away with the six by nines and got another top of the line at the time speaker. .. EPI.  These were round and had separate woofer mid-range and Tweeter speakers . Sounded nice clean and crisp But couldn't handle the power and volume. I blew those suckers up within a week I went back to the dealer that installed them they gave me a new set for free and they blew up within a week. After the third set the dealer said I'm on my own... 😂

So yeah those costlier systems turned me off ...I haven't really been into the mobile audio since.  

Plus my listening style has changed anyway, mostly just listen to the radio and oftentimes just talk shows lol....... So stock systems are sufficient for me I'm not going to waste my money on aftermarket upgrades....... But getting another set of mind blowers would definitely add some spice.... Sorry bro they were the real deal.. At least from what I remember and I won't be satisfied until I see for myself again.

I've heard many high-end systems since and I'm really not that impressed

If you like being punched that isn't the right speaker to use.  Not even close.

Blowing drivers quickly shows a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to make something sound good.  Here's a perspective for you.  In a car if you were to spend $1000 to install a set of front speakers you'd be best off spending 80%+ on the install and not the drivers themselves.

As for your infatuation with those drivers, there is not a driver made that doesn't follow Hoffman's Iron law.  Understanding that puts things in perspective.  ie, enclosure size, frequency response, and efficiency are interlinked in such a way you can't have all three as each effects the other in a negative way.  

And of course, putting any speaker behind you that has directional sound just makes the stage and car sound worse.  Modern cars appeal to idiots who listen to 2chn sound and want them on 13 speakers.  Completely destroys the stage and presence of the recording.  Sad that everyone gets so enamored with worse.

Where those mind blown speakers will be awful is with radio and talk shows.  Their capability to reproduce the frequency range of voice is not their strength.  

Your comparison with shit Infinities and other 70's nonsense is not valid today.  Not even close.  The access to offshore manufacturing has completely changed the availability of incredible drivers at ridiculously low prices considering.  Tons of great options if you want good sound, but those 6x9's are not it.

9 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I have ran alpine for a long time. I had the their best series of amps used in my latest contraption. Now they have a F1 status system which is like 25k plus install. 

IMG_9739.jpeg

i ran alpine amps and especially alpine head units. at the time they were super clean, very low distortion levels

4 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i ran alpine amps and especially alpine head units. at the time they were super clean, very low distortion levels

My go to back in the day was Alpine head units/EQ's as well, but I ran the older Kenwood amps, they also had a very low THD% for the watts they put out.

I built many custom setups back in the late 80's and early 90's.  My favorite was a super awesome setup I built for a buddy in his 1987 RX-7.  It was a 3 month project from design through final installation, and turned out really good with the limited space for any base woofers. 

But that fucking moron didn't listen to me when I told him not to be driving into Minneapolis with it cranked up... At the time he was going to Dunwoody (For those local enough to know where that is) and yup, day fucking #2 his car was stolen, and everything I did was stripped from the car when they found it abandoned 3 days later.  What a dumb ass...

Edited by Mag6240

5 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

My go to back in the day was Alpine head units/EQ's as well, but I ran the older Kenwood amps, they also had a very low THD% for the watts they put out.

I built many custom setups back in the late 80's and early 90's.  My favorite was a super awesome setup I built for a buddy in his 1987 RX-7.  It was a 3 month project from design through final installation, and turned out really good with the limited space for any base woofers. 

But that fucking moron didn't listen to me when I told him not to be driving into Minneapolis with it cranked up... At the time he was going to Dunwoody (For those local enough to know where that is) and yup, day fucking #2 his car was stolen, and everything I did was stripped from the car when they found it abandoned 3 days later.  What a dumb ass...

Dunwoody still there?

right off Hennepin if I remember right?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deephaven said:

If you like being punched that isn't the right speaker to use.  Not even close.

Blowing drivers quickly shows a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to make something sound good.  Here's a perspective for you.  In a car if you were to spend $1000 to install a set of front speakers you'd be best off spending 80%+ on the install and not the drivers themselves.

As for your infatuation with those drivers, there is not a driver made that doesn't follow Hoffman's Iron law.  Understanding that puts things in perspective.  ie, enclosure size, frequency response, and efficiency are interlinked in such a way you can't have all three as each effects the other in a negative way.  

And of course, putting any speaker behind you that has directional sound just makes the stage and car sound worse.  Modern cars appeal to idiots who listen to 2chn sound and want them on 13 speakers.  Completely destroys the stage and presence of the recording.  Sad that everyone gets so enamored with worse.

Where those mind blown speakers will be awful is with radio and talk shows.  Their capability to reproduce the frequency range of voice is not their strength.  

Your comparison with shit Infinities and other 70's nonsense is not valid today.  Not even close.  The access to offshore manufacturing has completely changed the availability of incredible drivers at ridiculously low prices considering.  Tons of great options if you want good sound, but those 6x9's are not it.

Appreciate the input but I'm still kicking myself for not upping my bid.....the packaging alone would have been worth the cost for me. Would have looked great hanging on my garage wall.... Just for nostalgia reasons. Those speakers brought me a lot of great times and memories. I guess just like a classic car does for some.....even though they are shit in every category compared to today's cars. 

I will never forget when my co-worker sold me his 68 Camaro w/Mindblowers(which he wanted to keep the speakers at first), he showed up at my house to drop car off and I was at my friends house who is my neighbor. We could hear the intro (synthesizer I guess) of Foreigner Long Long Way From Home cranking with the windows of his house shut. We both said Holy Shit at the same time....It was so loud and clear from a significant distance and we were in his house. I will never forget that. I don't know if I was more excited that day to get the car or the speakers lol...:lol:

Perhaps the big trunk area of the 68 Camaro helped with acoustics?... Cuz I know I could never get anything sounding halfway decent in my IROC with just the use of the side panels.

Separation of front and rear waves are critical.  Most iroc era installs were shit because the installer had no idea that was necessary. 

As for the truck install, the big ass trunk had nearly no acoustic loading and let the drivers play on an approximate infinite baffle which helps give a flat frequency response and is the easiest way to sound good.  Some disadvantages to it, but no surprise it sounded better than an iroc.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:51 PM, sleepybrew said:

i always used cerwin vega speakers, still do. they would rebuild them if you damaged it, blew it, tore the foam , whatever. pretty reasonable compared to new ones. cerwin vega used an aluminum frame that was worth repairing. i had them do a set of 6x9s and they looked and sounded new. 

I had Cerwin Vega home speakers….loved ‘em! As for my HS rigs back in the mid 80’s it was Jensen Triaxials and whatever else looked good in the Crutchfield Catalog.👊🏻

On 6/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, Deephaven said:

Separation of front and rear waves are critical.  Most iroc era installs were shit because the installer had no idea that was necessary. 

As for the truck install, the big ass trunk had nearly no acoustic loading and let the drivers play on an approximate infinite baffle which helps give a flat frequency response and is the easiest way to sound good.  Some disadvantages to it, but no surprise it sounded better than an iroc.

I had JL Audio subs in a box for most my aftermarket car stereo days. Usually an Alpine head unit Fosgate Punch amp or Orion. Couldn't tell ya what I ran for tweets or mids even though I installed my own stuff.

32 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I had JL Audio subs in a box for most my aftermarket car stereo days. Usually an Alpine head unit Fosgate Punch amp or Orion. Couldn't tell ya what I ran for tweets or mids even though I installed my own stuff.

fosgate was good back then. orion i think was even better. i remember they had a fan cooled 1000 watt amp i was jonesing for , but i valued my hearing and stayed with alpine 4 channel, alpine 2 channel. harmon kardon passive eq. i ran dual voice coil cerwin vega 15 inch sub in stereo which acted as a crossover. cerwin vega 6x9 and 6.5 round , both full range. it was in a first generation jetta and the car could hold no more stereo equipment. the sub box i built to cerwin vega specs for cubic inches and two 4 inch ports. talk about rattling your brain. and barely fitting. anyone in the back seat that said " turn that shit up" got to feel brutal bass. all soldered connections, power down one side of the car, signal on the other. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

fosgate was good back then. orion i think was even better. i remember they had a fan cooled 1000 watt amp i was jonesing for , but i valued my hearing and stayed with alpine 4 channel, alpine 2 channel. harmon kardon passive eq. i ran dual voice coil cerwin vega 15 inch sub in stereo which acted as a crossover. cerwin vega 6x9 and 6.5 round , both full range. it was in a first generation jetta and the car could hold no more stereo equipment. the sub box i built to cerwin vega specs for cubic inches and two 4 inch ports. talk about rattling your brain. and barely fitting. anyone in the back seat that said " turn that shit up" got to feel brutal bass. all soldered connections, power down one side of the car, signal on the other. 

The good old days. I haven't had an aftermarket system in a vehicle since I sold my OG pos hummer in the 90s.

:bc:

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

The good old days. I haven't had an aftermarket system in a vehicle since I sold my OG pos hummer in the 90s.

I've never had a car without one.  Not counting my wives rigs.

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

yeah i'm trying to keep my hearing. 

I don't replace them for being loud, but better fidelity which helps keep your hearing

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I've never had a car without one.  Not counting my wives rigs.

I don't replace them for being loud, but better fidelity which helps keep your hearing

My super duty comes stock with a B&O system. Has an amp and a sub. Tweeters and mids. I think 11 speakers and all. Wife's caddy has Bose system. Sounds better than mine. Don't know much about it. She likes it so I'm good.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Logical place to be.

That's only because you are bar shit crazy ultra right.

Ha, even Woolie thinks you are a regurgitating idiot Lloyd.  :lol:

How the heck did you manage to get this post over here?

:lol:

Just now, Steve753 said:

No idea. I'm ok with that.

Modern cars have come a REALLY long way.  Which amusingly is somewhat on topic.  They are getting great sound out of some nice processing and speakers that are less than a couple bucks each.  Of course they focus a ton on the install, dampening, back waves, and processing to get it right.  I wish the stupid infatuation with "lots" of channels would go away as it is fucking dumb as shit to listen to audio recorded in 2 channels on 15 speakers.  A nice pair of fronts (2 or 3 way) and a sub is all that is needed.

• Like 1