Speaker repair....Mindblower speakers

• Platinum Contributing Member

I am watching an old pair of  Mindblower speakers on Ebay.

I had these amplified speakers as a kid and they totally kicked ass.

Apparently one of these has a tear....I am going to take a gamble and try to buy these anyway.

Has anyone ever repaired their speakers before?....how did it turn out?..... I have done some research and it looks like most speakers are repairable.

Screenshot_20230604_103117_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230604_103728_Chrome.jpg

i always used cerwin vega speakers, still do. they would rebuild them if you damaged it, blew it, tore the foam , whatever. pretty reasonable compared to new ones. cerwin vega used an aluminum frame that was worth repairing. i had them do a set of 6x9s and they looked and sounded new. 

• Like 2

If it is the cone you need a 'recond" kit.  Surround and spider can usually be sourced for most things. 

That being said, those are crap and not worth $20.  Pretty much anything in a 6x9 is shit.  So many good choices depending on your mounting location and plan.

21 hours ago, Deephaven said:

If it is the cone you need a 'recond" kit.  Surround and spider can usually be sourced for most things. 

That being said, those are crap and not worth $20.  Pretty much anything in a 6x9 is shit.  So many good choices depending on your mounting location and plan.

Sorry but they aren't crap....you never had the  Mindblower experience.. OBVIOUSLY. I Iaughed back in the day when these were far superior to anything.....no matter how much money my buddies spent on systems, these were soo much louder and clearer and the bass would simply punch you through the seat. Nothing could touch these. I have zero interest in today's systems....I simply have never heard anything comparable since.

Moot point anyway....was outbid @210 dollars.....wish I had gone higher now.  People in the know, know what these speakers were all about as this auction shows....paying over 200 for 40 year old  speakers with holes in them and not working.:lol:.....my fear was the age of these. I would have them repaired but the material is like 40 years old and I imagine the repairs would be recurring. Not sure if the material could have been totally replaced, didn't have enough time to do research on that. I will likely never have the chance to get a pair of these again but I will be watching .:bc:

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

44 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Damn.... A lot of parts there. Probably could have had these repaired without issue. Needed you about 2 hours ago. :bashhead:I don't care what the cost to repair these would have been.....woulda been worth it, if the amplified portion was still operable and I believe it was. The tear was the only issue according to the seller.

8 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Once you run a fully active system in a car you will never want a 6x9 anything 

Hell, once you hear a decent driver you will never want 6x9 anything.  In fact outside of the image dynamics 6x9 that was somewhat of an anomaly I can't think of a single one that isn't garbage. 

Crazy how cheap good active processors are now. 

I have heard current high priced top of the line systems that cannot compare to those 6x9's ........ I'm not an audio aficionado by any means and maybe just don't appreciate the new systems...But I'll take those mind blowers over any new system any day. My buddy's system cost him like 8k ... Sure it's crystal clear sounds real nice But as far as base no contest. No thanks. I really wish I had upped my bid on these speakers.

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

If I ever found a pair of NOS of these speakers... I really don't think there is a price tag that could keep me from buying them.

The ones that rarely appear on eBay, usually not working and in rough condition are still swept up by former owners..... That's pretty much a testament to how good they were.   

Once in a while when I hook up with old friends that used to cruise around with me, those speakers get brought up......"remember those speakers you used to have in your 68 Camaro"......I'm like"yup".    They remember the speakers more than they do that classic car :lol:which was very fast for its time and heavily modified.

Oh and deepHaven ...I'm not bragging or insecure.    I'm just reminiscing about some good old times of the past...... So don't take it the wrong way ...You're a very negative person in almost every aspect.

5 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I have heard current high priced top of the line systems that cannot compare to those 6x9's ........ I'm not an audio aficionado by any means and maybe just don't appreciate the new systems...But I'll take those mind blowers over any new system any day. My buddy's system cost him like 8k ... Sure it's crystal clear sounds real nice But as far as base no contest. No thanks. I really wish I had upped my bid on these speakers.

Your memory deceives you badly.  Those are complete garbage.  

Here are some facts.  They were made by Pyramid.  Pyramid has always only gone after the uber cheap market and cuts every corner possible.  Of course their built in power made a difference in the day that artificially made them sound better as they weren't relying on headunit power.  6x9's in general are 6's that have a small bit of added cone area to improve the bass response.  This those have, but with very little throw.  Sound output is directly proportional to cone area and overall throw or distance the cone moves.  Modern speakers have drivers that allow for much higher xmax (overall max cone throw) allowing a lot more output for a given cone size.  The other aspect of course is the high frequencies.  There are two huge problems with the mind blower speakers.  The first is the tweeter is a little 1" driver mounted in a 6x9.  There is no capability for upper midrange which is where most vocals, guitar and instruments near the vocal range play.  This means perhaps you get some bass out of them, but the music will generally sound like shit.  That and if you look at the crossover netork they use to blend between the two it is a simple 6dB passive which never work well in any application in a car.  Comb filtering and reflections make cars brutal places to sound good and while there are exceptions using a 6dB slope between a tweeter and a midbass and calling it a setup is insane.

Of course if you remember the other options for car audio in the 70's when they came out 8 tracks still dominated and a single driver in many cars playing mono was what they were being compared to.  Compared to that they were brilliant.  Compared to even stock systems in new cars however they are complete trash.

7 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Your memory deceives you badly.  Those are complete garbage.  

Here are some facts.  They were made by Pyramid.  Pyramid has always only gone after the uber cheap market and cuts every corner possible.  Of course their built in power made a difference in the day that artificially made them sound better as they weren't relying on headunit power.  6x9's in general are 6's that have a small bit of added cone area to improve the bass response.  This those have, but with very little throw.  Sound output is directly proportional to cone area and overall throw or distance the cone moves.  Modern speakers have drivers that allow for much higher xmax (overall max cone throw) allowing a lot more output for a given cone size.  The other aspect of course is the high frequencies.  There are two huge problems with the mind blower speakers.  The first is the tweeter is a little 1" driver mounted in a 6x9.  There is no capability for upper midrange which is where most vocals, guitar and instruments near the vocal range play.  This means perhaps you get some bass out of them, but the music will generally sound like shit.  That and if you look at the crossover netork they use to blend between the two it is a simple 6dB passive which never work well in any application in a car.  Comb filtering and reflections make cars brutal places to sound good and while there are exceptions using a 6dB slope between a tweeter and a midbass and calling it a setup is insane.

Of course if you remember the other options for car audio in the 70's when they came out 8 tracks still dominated and a single driver in many cars playing mono was what they were being compared to.  Compared to that they were brilliant.  Compared to even stock systems in new cars however they are complete trash.

Unless you owned a pair....I will take your judgement as complete rubish.

Could care less about the technical statistics and upper midrange, these kicked ass and any of my friends who tried to compare their much more expensive systems, left embarrassed with their tail between their legs. Mine with my Blaupunkt or Nakamichi (can't remember which I had at the time---the speakers were what made the system) stereo was always the go-to system when we would park and party and listen to tunes.

On the hunt for another pair.... next one I will be sure to outbid all.

There is no way my stock system in my CTS-V or Escalade is anywhere remotely close.....but it will be when I finally get a pair of Mindblowers.:thumbsup:

Don't waste your money.  If you truly want good sounding audio describe where you want it, what you will play on it, what acoustic response you like and I'd be glad to help.  I am sure there are other audio freaks on here as well, but buying those is a complete net negative.  They are seriously crap.

Well I guess I don't really care about "good sounding audio" on paper.

My real world results that I experienced are where it's at... but thanks anyway. On the lookout for Mindblowers:lol:.... Will I be disappointed?... Is my memory of these a mirage?.....Time will tell when I finally come across another pair.:bc:.

P.s.  there is a reason why these are wanted and scooped up quickly by many people 40 plus years later..... Maybe they are all like me.... Boomers trying to relive their past:lol:

Edited by ViperGTS/Z1

Rofl. Your real world results are from 50 years ago.  

And yes there is a reason.  Memories never match reality and they made nearly none of them as they sucked even 50 years ago.  Go waste your money.

I'll offer again.  Define your use and goal and we will help you build something way better than those.  It isn't hard.  Either way, your actual use determines what will work well.  So far we know you like those drivers from listening to them 50 years ago and nothing else...

On 6/5/2023 at 11:10 PM, Deephaven said:

Hell, once you hear a decent driver you will never want 6x9 anything.  In fact outside of the image dynamics 6x9 that was somewhat of an anomaly I can't think of a single one that isn't garbage. 

Crazy how cheap good active processors are now. 

My JL audio one was pretty cheap and that’s not even that high end of one. It was only a couple hundred bucks for the twk 88 and fix 82. 

11 hours ago, X2700 said:

Remember back in the day if you had alpine setup you had serious setup!!

Today you can buy some pretty nice stuff for cheap!!

I have ran alpine for a long time. I had the their best series of amps used in my latest contraption. Now they have a F1 status system which is like 25k plus install. 

IMG_9739.jpeg

• Like 2

I just took the status F1 tweeters out of the escalade to put it up for sale.  Bought them as spare parts and already had the scan speaks they use for mids....although in the truck run active I preferred the Seas drivers over the Scans.  Everyone who heard it though had their "mind blown".