Coming everywhere soon: Electric cars losing their value twice as fast as petrol alternatives

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Link?  Is there a lifetime warranty with it?   

I've never had a phone that battery life didn't decline after a year or so.   Virtually all batteries lose ability to hold charge after time.

I can't say that about my last 2 phones. No decline whatsoever. I'm going on 4+ years with this phone. The last one was only replaced  because it got destroyed.

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I can't say that about my last 2 phones. No decline whatsoever. I'm going on 4+ years with this phone. The last one was only replaced  because it got destroyed.

My most recent I'd say is at 50% of where it was just 1 1/2 years ago when new.   I could easily get almost 2 days now I usually need to put it on the charger well before I go to bed. 

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My most recent I'd say is at 50% of where it was just 1 1/2 years ago when new.   I could easily get almost 2 days now I usually need to put it on the charger well before I go to bed. 

I phone?

27 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I phone?

Nope.   Samsung.  Battery was amazing the first year.  

• Gold Member

Down 11 miles of range over a year and 1/2 and 43k miles with monthly charges near 100% charge and near 0% charge left.  45% or so of my comsumption is DC fast charging.

don’t see this battery not going 300,000 miles or more.  I have seen almost no degradation the last 6-9 months.  Most of the 11 mile degradation happened the first 6 months

22 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Nope.   Samsung.  Battery was amazing the first year.  

Mine are Samsung as well. Now that I think of it my wife is on year 3 with her phone. I'd definitely hear about if it had battery issues. 

10 hours ago, Steve753 said:

I've never had a phone have more than an hour of battery life left after 3 years, but I use the shit out of my phone.  Cars will act exactly the same and in climates with harder wear cycles will be way worse off

On 6/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, Badger** said:

BOHICA Have you ever thought about going into EV sales, I think you would knock it out of the park. It's easy to sell something you believe in.

The EV I drove last summer was kind of cool, and holy shit fast. 

All the same, I will be keeping my big truck.

Good luck with these guys. :lol:

Olive Branch Stock Photos and Images - 123RF

17 hours ago, Highmark said:

Link?  Is there a lifetime warranty with it?  There is also this little thing where batteries popular for EV's last best when charge remains between 20%-80%.   So companies often advertise range based off full charge yet don't allow their batteries beyond that range.   Nice huh?

https://qz.com/1446315/jaguar-i-pace-is-coming-for-tesla-with-a-battery-that-doesnt-make-sense

Jaguar said that it buys its I-Pace batteries from suppliers, but wouldn’t offer details. (As confirmed by Quartz, the supplier is LG Chem, according to Wolfgang Ziebert, technical design director for the I-Pace, speaking to a correspondent for Automotive News.) The company wouldn’t say anything about the powertrain’s efficiency. And, crucially, it ducked the question of why the I-Pace’s range in European tests was so different than in EPA tests.

One possibility is that the I-Pace is programmed to not use all the battery’s capacity. Scientists have found that a lithium-ion battery lasts longer if operated between 20% and 80% state of charge. When asked if that’s what Jaguar is doing, the company said, “The I-Pace battery pack cannot be charged to 100% or run down to a real 0% state of charge because this is detrimental to the cell’s state-of-health.” But it wouldn’t give any more specifics about battery management. 

I've never had a phone that battery life didn't decline after a year or so.   Virtually all batteries lose ability to hold charge after time.

No Link, I was having a conversation with an ex Porsche engineer, who had just started working with Jaguar, he's the one that educated me about electric cars and let me drive his personal car for awhile. Talking with an engineer was more interesting than a sales pitch or Hype like what's spewed here.

Edited by airflite1