FDR on History

just about to start watching part three... 

good series, nothing new to me but it makes me wonder why we stopped electing people with compassion, integrity and loyalty to their nation. 

frankly I blame the American electorate.  

for 2024, we might elect Joe Biden or Donald Trump who possess none of the aforementioned attributes... which actually saddens me watching a series as such.

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

good series, nothing new to me but it makes me wonder why we stopped electing people with compassion, integrity and loyalty to their nation. 

for 2024, we might elect Joe Biden or Donald Trump who possess none of the aforementioned attributes... which actually saddens me watching a series as such.

Awesome series.  Watching it now.  I don't know that this present crop of politicians could ever stare down the threats that this man did vas POTUS.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Awesome series.  Watching it now.  I don't know that this present crop of politicians could ever stare down the threats that this man did vas POTUS.

how far we have strayed... :thumb:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

No way the American electorate is to blame. The last 30 - 35 years DC has been infiltrated with self serving greed and corruption of which voting can’t cure. It’s an insult to blame voters because most voters don’t live their lives like the filth in DC does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, snoughnut said:

No way the American electorate is to blame. The last 30 - 35 years DC has been infiltrated with self serving greed and corruption of which voting can’t cure. It’s an insult to blame voters because most voters don’t live their lives like the filth in DC does.

we as a society are not bright enough to loudly and clearly say no to bad candidates and by doing so continue to support a two party system which does not prioritize the needs of the all citizens and the nations needs first. 

imo... 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how far we have strayed... :thumb:

Pretty simple really....just look at the breakdown of society in general.  

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Pretty simple really....just look at the breakdown of society in general.  

back then FDR promoted and received shared sacrifice

during Covid, fights broke out in stores over fucking toilet paper.  we've become selfish and greedy.  

we don't care about each other...

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

back then FDR promoted and received shared sacrifice

during Covid, fights broke out in stores over fucking toilet paper.  we've become selfish and greedy.  

we don't care about each other...

Pretty simple...we've had decades of seeing mainly the POS in society from the news to now social media.   Its pretty easy to get a cynical viewpoint of man when reality is 20%+ of humans are pieces of shit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Pretty simple...we've had decades of seeing mainly the POS in society from the news to now social media.   Its pretty easy to get a cynical viewpoint of man when reality is 20%+ of humans are pieces of shit. 

I won't argue that.  In fact, look at how we at times treat each other here. I include myself in that statement.  

We are currently as a society as divided as I've seen this nation in my lifetime.  Our politics, the media and elected officials continually more and more divisive.  Sadly, I don't see this getting any better but much worse heading into our next election.

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I won't argue that.  In fact, look at how we at times treat each other here. I include myself in that statement.  

We are currently as a society as divided as I've seen this nation in my lifetime.  Our politics, the media and elected officials continually more and more divisive.  Sadly, I don't see this getting any better but much worse heading into our next election.

It will never go back to the way it was but continually get worse and worse.  

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

and there's the difference between FDR and those who followed him.  FDR was optimistic and made Americans optimistic during times when there wasn't anything to be optimistic about.  

optimism would be something nice to hear from a politician from time to time rather than continuously hearing how bad the world is.

Just now, Highmark said:

Yup - between the MSM and the way people behave on social media, there is no way but down from here.  Just look at this place, and where a lot of this all began 20+ years ago.  I'm not sure how many of you were on amsnow.com but that was my first real taste of bashing online.  It started out pretty tame, but from there it was other forums, and it just continued to get worse & worse - especially when politics were allowed.  Now?  Civility is a lost concept for many ... it's all about one-upping someone or getting that gotcha moment.  Or just flat out insulting people.  And yes, I know, I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Regarding the OP and the FDR series ... it's been a great watch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we as a society are not bright enough to loudly and clearly say no to bad candidates and by doing so continue to support a two party system which does not prioritize the needs of the all citizens and the nations needs first. 

imo... 

Voting is no longer the power that people were lead to believe, things have changed. We may have some good political candidates but as soon as they're elected, they get sucked into the greedy, corrupt system and are told to tow the line. IMO, what really needs to happen in this country is we need to get rid of politicians and do referendum type voting on most issues and let the people decide what's best for their interests instead of voting for politicians who are doing just the opposite.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yup - between the MSM and the way people behave on social media, there is no way but down from here.  Just look at this place, and where a lot of this all began 20+ years ago.  I'm not sure how many of you were on amsnow.com but that was my first real taste of bashing online.  It started out pretty tame, but from there it was other forums, and it just continued to get worse & worse - especially when politics were allowed.  Now?  Civility is a lost concept for many ... it's all about one-upping someone or getting that gotcha moment.  Or just flat out insulting people.  And yes, I know, I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Regarding the OP and the FDR series ... it's been a great watch.

fully agree... in the 90's a site I was heavily involved in had a 'CE' style side forum and it was the unwinding of civility when it came to political topics.  one thing I've done a reasonably good job of irl2 FB is avoiding political discussions.   here, well...not so much.  :roflcrying:

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

Voting is no longer the power that people were lead to believe, things have changed. We may have some good political candidates but as soon as they're elected, they get sucked into the greedy, corrupt system and are told to tow the line. IMO, what really needs to happen in this country is we need to get rid of politicians and do referendum type voting on most issues and let the people decide what's best for their interests instead of voting for politicians who are doing just the opposite.

have you heard the phrase you can't fight city hall ?

ConstantHugeGreathornedowl-size_restrict

google it...  ;)

41 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and I'll add... the last time I recall any unity in this country was right after 9/11, which was our Pearl Harbor 

Yup.  Yet 2 years later the same guy who united the country was painted as a war criminal by the D party.  It didn’t last long.  I agree with most of what is being said here.  But I also think the majority of the country is waking up to how corrupt the media and government is, which is a good thing.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and there's the difference between FDR and those who followed him.  FDR was optimistic and made Americans optimistic during times when there wasn't anything to be optimistic about.  

optimism would be something nice to hear from a politician from time to time rather than continuously hearing how bad the world is.

Just think of 2020, anytime Trump or the GOP tried to play down the severity of the plandemic he/they were crucified.   "Stay in your homes until you get the vaccine which will save us all!"

BTW you're all stupid fucking assholes.  :lol:  :bc:

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup.  Yet 2 years later the same guy who united the country was painted as a war criminal by the D party.  It didn’t last long.  I agree with most of what is being said here.  But I also think the majority of the country is waking up to how corrupt the media and government is, which is a good thing.

In hindsight I believe most people would agree that going into Iraq was either a mistake or unnecessary and it did affect the unity post 9/11.   Most Americans favored going into Afghanistan at the time.  We got Sadam and Osama, but neither 'war' was a victory.   

52 minutes ago, Highmark said:

BTW you're all stupid fucking assholes.  :lol:  :bc:

:roflcrying:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

In hindsight I believe most people would agree that going into Iraq was either a mistake or unnecessary and it did affect the unity post 9/11.   Most Americans favored going into Afghanistan at the time.  We got Sadam and Osama, but neither 'war' was a victory.   

:roflcrying:

Most would believe that…🤔