Did Jesus of Nazareth actually exist?

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The hilarious part is I'm not very religious because the church is a construct of man and many of those men over history have been abhorrent.  Kind of like govt.  :lol:  I'm just open to both the idea of a deity and everything occurring naturally or a combination of them.   I think there is evidence of both.  Who knows maybe "God" was came to be from another life form after the Universe was created. 

Exactly.  I stopped going to church years ago after the minister was caught banging the church secretary, and he decided to hang himself in the rectory when he knew the Deacons were going to have him removed.  The secretary decided to sue the church and they actually hit up the congregation to raise money for a legal defense fund.  I wanted zero part of the place after that.  But I at least give respect to the Judeo Christian values that the country was founded on.  It was the glue that helped build the country and establish morality, law and order.  But I practice my own religion now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

The hilarious part is I'm not very religious because the church is a construct of man and many of those men over history have been abhorrent.  Kind of like govt.  :lol:  I'm just open to both the idea of a deity and everything occurring naturally or a combination of them.   I think there is evidence of both.  Look at the Animal structure.   Virtually same organs...heck we share nearly 99% of DNA with mice.  To me that points to intelligent design just as much as unimpeded evolution.  

Who knows maybe "God" was came to be from another life form after the Universe was created. 

God is also a construct of man. Don’t see chimpanzees or dolphins claiming virgin births and all the other hocus pocus.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

God is also a construct of man. Don’t see chimpanzees or dolphins claiming virgin births and all the other hocus pocus.

What a ridiculous comparison.  :lol:  

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

What a ridiculous comparison.  :lol:  

It certainly is. It’s takes an animal with a higher level of imagination than a dolphin or chimp to come up with an idea like the imaginary man in the sky. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It certainly is. It’s takes an animal with a higher level of imagination than a dolphin or chimp to come up with an idea like the imaginary man in the sky. 

And yet there are people much more intelligent than you are I who believe in God. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Highmark said:

And yet there are people much more intelligent than you are I who believe in God. 

Yet none can provide any proof, they rely on hope and faith not matter what their intelligence level is. Silly point.

When you have zero intelligence on how the world works you use your imagination as to what could be,, hence the bible.

Do you think the authors of the bible were more intelligent than most of us?

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

From Smart People Believe Weird Things:

This phenomenon, called the confirmation bias, helps to explain the findings published in the National Science Foundation’s biennial report (April 2002) on the state of science understanding: 30 percent of adult Americans believe that UFOs are space vehicles from other civilizations; 60 percent believe in ESP; 40 percent think that astrology is scientific; 32 percent believe in lucky numbers; 70 percent accept magnetic therapy as scientific; and 88 percent accept alternative medicine.

Education by itself is no paranormal prophylactic. Although belief in ESP decreased from 65 percent among high school graduates to 60 percent among college graduates, and belief in magnetic therapy dropped from 71 percent among high school graduates to 55 percent among college graduates, that still leaves more than half fully endorsing such claims! And for embracing alternative medicine, the percentages actually increase, from 89 percent for high school grads to 92 percent for college grads. We can glean a deeper cause of this problem in another statistic: 70 percent of Americans still do not understand the scientific process, defined in the study as comprehending probability, the experimental method and hypothesis testing. One solution is more and better science education, as indicated by the fact that 53 percent of Americans with a high level of science education (nine or more high school and college science/math courses) understand the scientific process, compared with 38 percent of those with a middle-level science education (six to eight such courses) and 17 percent with a low level (five or fewer courses).

The key here is teaching how science works, not just what science has discovered. We recently published an article in Skeptic (Vol. 9, No. 3) revealing the results of a study that found no correlation between science knowledge (facts about the world) and paranormal beliefs. The authors, W. Richard Walker, Steven J. Hoekstra and Rodney J. Vogl, concluded: “Students that scored well on these [science knowledge] tests were no more or less skeptical of pseudoscientific claims than students that scored very poorly. Apparently, the students were not able to apply their scientific knowledge to evaluate these pseudoscientific claims. We suggest that this inability stems in part from the way that science is traditionally presented to students: Students are taught what to think but not how to think.”

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

And supposedly a few smart people support orange man, Xi, and Putin.  So WTF is your point? 

10 hours ago, SnowRider said:

And supposedly a few smart people support orange man, Xi, and Putin.  So WTF is your point? 

Holy fuck dude you most lead a miserable life if this is your only talking point 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, HSR said:

Yet none can provide any proof, they rely on hope and faith not matter what their intelligence level is. Silly point.

When you have zero intelligence on how the world works you use your imagination as to what could be,, hence the bible.

Do you think the authors of the bible were more intelligent than most of us?

Do some research, science is actually discovering things are true as spoken in the bible.

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:41 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

You're religion is the state.  The people who follow Christ saw through the covid scam from the start. 

Fools like you, still can't see the truth.:lol:

Pathetic.

My religion isn’t the state, that’s idiotic nonsense.

You are producing absurd blather.

Moron.

Neal

On 6/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, Highmark said:

Yes it can.

Yes it can.

We absolutely do.

Yes it can.

The implication of life on only one out of trillions of possibilities would mean something.

Sure they are exploring them recently but the idea of the Big Bang coming from a single small entity has been pushed as fact for a long time.  

Nope.

Nope.

Only if incompetence and stupidity are hallmark traits.

It would mean we are unique and alone.

As a hypothetical situation to our local universe being the way we observe it.

Neal

On 6/1/2023 at 7:00 AM, DriftBusta said:

Good post.  No one can say with any certainty how we got here.  I have no clue, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some need to please quit acting like they have an exclusive on the truth.

Religion claims to know how we got here, entirely contrary to your second sentence.  There isn’t any other group or organization claiming the certainty of our origins.

Neal

12 hours ago, SnowRider said:

And supposedly a few smart people support orange man, Biden, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama,  Xi, and Putin.  So WTF is your point? 

Fixed.  Surprising what you left out...or not.  

1 hour ago, toslow said:

Do some research, science is actually discovering things are true as spoken in the bible.

More emotional nonsense from you.  If that were true you'd post it.  Just made up shit to make yourself feel better in your fake faith.

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Science is real again?

:roflcrying:

20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

My religion isn’t the state, that’s idiotic nonsense.

You are producing absurd blather.

Moron.

Neal

The fuck it isn't.  You fell for the covid scam against long standing scientific principles and even doubled down on it.

Only a fucking moron takes 12 boosters, still gets covid and is thankful for the vax.

Your god is the state, fucking pathetic.

19 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Your are a liar?  Shocker!

Neal

Compared to you, yes.

You're a sheep of the state.  Look up mass formation psychosis.

Your picture is on the poster.

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The fuck it isn't.  You fell for the covid scam against long standing scientific principles and even doubled down on it.

Only a fucking moron takes 12 boosters, still gets covid and is thankful for the vax.

Your god is the state, fucking pathetic.

Only a fucking moron keeps saying there's 12 boosters.