Did Jesus of Nazareth actually exist?

23 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Which in the scientific world there is a lot pushed as true with very little proof.

The idea of a deity does come with reality that as far as we know haven't been put forth much clear evidence since probably around the time of Christ.(If true)   Which brings in faith and no doubt the idea of faith can be used by the cynic's as proof that Christ and God didn't or don't exist as the Bible professes.  Faith is a double edged sword used by both sides and maybe why its so powerful in the grand scheme of things regarding God. 

Look no further than the part on Thomas...were the writers using this as a means to get followers to believe without personal experience as they knew there would be doubters and nonbelievers use that same story to say see we now require faith of something so unusual to what we know and because of that its not true.   

Our reality doesn’t come with a deity, it comes with the the idea of them, which is why we have had thousands over the centuries.  They can’t all be true, but they could all be false…

Getting people to believe without a personal experience is antithetical towards the goal of Christianity.  It’s an absurd idea.  “For the Bible tells me so!” isn’t gonna cut it, and shouldn’t.

Neal

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You have no actual proof of any of that. Everything you wrote is nothing more than constructs of something someone told you.  

Its inference considering the remaining other option.  It all came from nothing. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You have no actual proof of any of that. Everything you wrote is nothing more than constructs of something someone told you.  

As is everything he thinks he knows about religion. All heresay.

37 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Creation demands a Creator

Life demands a Life-Giver

Design demands a Designer

Laws demand a Law Giver (Physical laws of the Universe)

What are the implications if Earth is the only planet with life in all the universe?

Personally I find it just as feasible there there is a deity than the entire universe's mass and energy was once stored in something the size of an atom and that itself came from nothing. 

No it doesn’t.

No it doesn’t.

We don’t show signs of an intelligent designer.

No they don’t.

That we are alone and on our own.

We don’t no that we came from nothing, there are other possibilities that conform to reality as we understand it.  Sean Carrol has given a few speeches on the physics aspects of that.

Neal

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Refined superstitions packaged to make institutional money on a tax free basis. 

Always comes down to money. Just think of the sheep in the LDS org. that MUST donate 10% of earnings to be a member. Wtf?

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

Well Neal deGrasse Tyson disagrees with you.  We can observe, describe and predict gravity but cannot explain it.  He literally says we have no idea what it is.....that is not explainable.  

The Big Bang is explainable only in quite limited sense of the after effect.   We have zero clue as to how or what may have caused it.   Even just somewhat recently they are changing their theories on how large the universe may be and questioning the Big Bang theory in general saying its expansion is slowing but might be infinite in its "age." 

Explain the manifestations of the force.  We can’t explain why anything is the way it is as you are thinking it.  Thus the hard solipsism issue that I already addressed.  Just like not knowing why the electron has the mass it does doesn’t stop us from understanding it’s interactions and manifestations.  Why gravity exists and why the mass of the proton is what it is are encompassed in reality.  A god doesn’t further any “explanation” of gravity or the mass of an electron.

You are trying to describe two different things, the Big Bang, and the cause of the Big Bang.  Pick one and stick with it. 

And all those things are in the ream of reality, not some supernatural bucket into which all non-understood things go.

Neal

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

Are there any other ancient text's or writings that there is no way to prove the authorship but we fully believe them to be true?  This absolutely could be said of much of human history.

Quite possibly.  But again, those ancient texts or writings don’t claim to offer personal salvation from damnation.  If Homer isn’t the author of the Odyssey then I have no real loss of foundation of my beliefs.  If it is found out Jesus was mythical and the the Abrahamic god narrative false then billions of people would have crumbled foundational beliefs.

It is my opinion that for a topic that claims to be so fundamental to the core of human existence the evidence supporting the claims should be of overwhelming magnificence.  Yet we are stuck with a error filled book that comes from a time where people didn’t understand basic science and how reality operates.

Neal

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

It is my opinion that for a topic that claims to be so fundamental to the core of human existence the evidence supporting the claims should be of overwhelming magnificence.  Yet we are stuck with a error filled book that comes from a time where people didn’t understand basic science and how reality operates.

Neal

Well said.

10 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Because I said so!

Neal

You were played Neal.  It was all lies from the get go.  Yet you want to talk religion.:lol:

Edited by ArcticCrusher

10 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Yet schools you.  Maybe you should start one.

Neal

You're religion is the state.  The people who follow Christ saw through the covid scam from the start. 

Fools like you, still can't see the truth.:lol:

Pathetic.

15 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

No it doesn’t.

No it doesn’t.

We don’t show signs of an intelligent designer.

No they don’t.

That we are alone and on our own.

We don’t no that we came from nothing, there are other possibilities that conform to reality as we understand it.  Sean Carrol has given a few speeches on the physics aspects of that.

Neal

Yes it can.

Yes it can.

We absolutely do.

Yes it can.

The implication of life on only one out of trillions of possibilities would mean something.

Sure they are exploring them recently but the idea of the Big Bang coming from a single small entity has been pushed as fact for a long time.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yes it can.

Yes it can.

We absolutely do.

Yes it can.

The implication of life on only one out of trillions of possibilities would mean something.

Sure they are exploring them recently but the idea of the Big Bang has been pushed as fact for a long time.  

Good post.  No one can say with any certainty how we got here.  I have no clue, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some need to please quit acting like they have an exclusive on the truth.

8 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Good post.  No one can say with any certainty how we got here.  I have no clue, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some need to please quit acting like they have an exclusive on the truth.

The hilarious part is I'm not very religious because the church is a construct of man and many of those men over history have been abhorrent.  Kind of like govt.  :lol:  I'm just open to both the idea of a deity and everything occurring naturally or a combination of them.   I think there is evidence of both.  Look at the Animal structure.   Virtually same organs...heck we share nearly 99% of DNA with mice.  To me that points to intelligent design just as much as unimpeded evolution.  

Who knows maybe "God" was came to be from another life form after the Universe was created. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1