What you working on today?

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

One of my work trucks had a vibration at the beginning of April. I took it in to my mechanic who had it for 4 weeks. I told him it felt like the driveshaft was shaking. He balanced the tires twice, replaced a worn hanger bearing, went through the rear end, checked for loose bolts, etc, said he couldn’t find anything wrong. He thought maybe the driveshaft had gotten tweaked. Driveshaft went to a specialty shop for a rebalance.

He called and said he thought it was better but the vibration was still there. Told me to come take it and drive it for a bit to see what I think. My son drove it last week for the first time since we brought it home and said the truck shakes like a bastard.

So today I finally had time to drive it to Home Depot. The thing shakes like a MF’r at 40 mph.

I got home and crawled under it. Took 2 minutes to find the problem.

8DB67321-3005-4BD5-BC0C-A6020D0B88A6.jpeg

IMG_5823.MOV 34.91 MB · 0 downloads

You need a new mechanic if he missed that. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

yep todays wrenches are very problematic  there's only a few good ones left ,, they will run a flow chart ,or goggle shit till you are broke

Edited by polaris7541
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

When I got the shaft out I put it in my truck to take to my buddy's place. I had sent him a text and he had a ujoint on the self. Today is a holiday here in Canada. When I got to his place and we looked it over, Who ever had done the work had replaced both front and rear ujoints and the hanger bearing but left this u-joint in place. This is the middle one behind the hanger bearing.It had to be removed to change the hanger bearing so how did they not notice? Why not just change it for good measure since they were already replacing the other 2 and had the shaft out?

We've only put 200 miles on the truck since getting it back. No way that joint got that bad that fast.

I'm going to have a talk with them tomorrow.

Truck runs smooth as glass now.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Putting a supercharged V6 in a Rover..

IMG_20230523_073040122_HDR.jpg

Pretty newish Rover for a new motor, no?  I really like the looks of some of the new Land Rovers, but anyone I know in the car business says "walk away".  :lol:  :bc: 

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Pretty newish Rover for a new motor, no?  I really like the looks of some of the new Land Rovers, but anyone I know in the car business says "walk away".  :lol:  :bc: 

It's a 14 with a 100k on it, so it's due for a motor..Hence the "walk away" :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Changed condenser again tonight in the wife’s car another rock put a hole in it at some point over the winter.

IMG_3051.jpeg

Gutter guard inside the grill works wonders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Gutter guard inside the grill works wonders.

👍 That’s a good idea. I did end up this time around putting in the smallest wire mesh I could find over the back of the grills but I think the gutter guard idea might work better with smaller hole’s possibly. I gotta take the bumper back off to redo grill mounting since the zip ties I had were to big to fit through the holes in the mesh so I used the kids pink yarn 😂 so I’ll look into the gutter guard idea for the redo.

IMG_3052.jpeg

• Like 2

@800renegaderiderThis is about 115k on one side of my license plate.  You can see three places the gutter guard is cracked or missing.  Not sure if what hit it would have taken out the condenser, but mine is still original.  I know other owners who have had theirs taken out without this additional screen.

8FF87BDF-A568-4C15-A84B-54CD34117DFB.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
41 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

@800renegaderiderThis is about 115k on one side of my license plate.  You can see three places the gutter guard is cracked or missing.  Not sure if what hit it would have taken out the condenser, but mine is still original.  I know other owners who have had theirs taken out without this additional screen.

8FF87BDF-A568-4C15-A84B-54CD34117DFB.jpeg

Nice 👍is the gutter guard plastic? Definitely gonna run down to the hardware store and look at the gutter guard options. Cars got almost 70k and this is the second time I’ve done a condenser on it. Poor design by Toyota or just paper thin shit condenser idk. I’ve never had it happen on my daily with putting on over 250k. Hopefully this is the last time 🤞 

• Like 1

Lots of stuff going on in everyone’s life. Good to see.

Got my exhaust finished up. My buddy gonna be surprised when I pull in his driveway and uncork the headers lol.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Changing the water in the hot tub. Then changing the oil in 2 vehicles if I feel like it. If not tomorrow….lol

Do you have a quick drain on your oil pans?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Put a timing belt kit in the Accord today… had to make a special tool to hold the light weight crank pulley to get that damn bolt out… the rest was just knuckle grinding wrenching!

5FA2795C-4F1A-4D70-9D7D-8B074AE662C7.jpeg

60799A59-18F5-407B-A557-3AB598FD0B6C.jpeg

68BD91B5-68ED-40E8-8FDD-1EA66DA16A9B.jpeg

F282917F-A903-4522-91B1-DE7240422801.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...