Barn finds and limited production vehicles

• Platinum Contributing Member

Opening this man’s pool today. My father built the pool in the late 70’s.

But here in the little detached garage is a 56 Vette. He says it hasn’t run in 3 years but I think it’s been sitting longer. He’s 84 and will die with it. He restored it in the early 80’s. Hood is open to run the battery charger. He says he’s working on it.

1DF5579D-B837-4248-8DCD-F9544EA7E2BC.thumb.jpeg.3d23c4ab92d34aa1029bfb19a0fd599c.jpeg

oh, and the Challenger on the street is his. He says it came out the back door of Dodge’s offices in Texas and 40 extra hp over a stock one. He hopes to turn high 13’s in the 1/4 this summer.

Cool old dude.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Doug said:

I had one of those gold tunnel 80 SRXs.  A farmer bought it, scared himself shitless on it and traded it on a fan cooled.  I picked it up with 26 miles on it.  4 of them?!

3 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Very 👍

I don’t know how people buy cars like that and don’t drive them. It’s cool to see them in that condition though.

Ya, buying with the intentions to store for hopes of making it an investment seems odd but then my Katana I owned for 17 years I only put a thousand miles on. Sometimes just owning it is enough.

I read an article somewhere that said there were tons of people who bought 1978 Corvette Pace cars and stored them away thinking they would be a great investment. But so many people did it that now there are all kinds of low milers out there and the cars have never been worth much.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Old man had a couple Electra 225s growing up with 455s in them.  His 76 would light the tires up like no ones business.  :lol: 

I had a 71 delta 98, had the 455 rocket engine in it, all original even the eight track

the thing floated on the hwy. loved it 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, buying with the intentions to store for hopes of making it an investment seems odd but then my Katana I owned for 17 years I only put a thousand miles on. Sometimes just owning it is enough.

I read an article somewhere that said there were tons of people who bought 1978 Corvette Pace cars and stored them away thinking they would be a great investment. But so many people did it that now there are all kinds of low milers out there and the cars have never been worth much.

one of Detroits worst years, motors were all choked down with smog bullshit, Corvettes included.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, toslow said:

I had a 71 delta 98, had the 455 rocket engine in it, all original even the eight track

I transplanted 455 into 75 cutlass t-top.

then installed posi!!man did that thing run.I’d look for pre 70 455’s in yards and usually be deltas!let my sister drive one weekend and it got away from her and hit neighbors house!!

also transplanted a few into late 70 early 80’s cutlass supremes.

lots of engine swaps when I was a teen!!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, X2700 said:

then installed posi!!man did that thing run.I’d look for pre 70 455’s in yards and usually be deltas!let my sister drive one weekend and it got away from her and hit neighbors house!!

1 hour ago, toslow said:

Friend's parents had a 1973 olds 98 2 door.  The doors were longer than some modern day cars.

26 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Had a 1980 Cutlass supreme fully loaded including T-tops.  The car had a 260 2 barrel V-8 that could hardly get up a driveway approach.  Surprised it had the TH350 transmission and not a metric 200.  Swapped the motor out with a 403 from a Trans AM.  Better but nothing to write home about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Friend's parents had a 1973 olds 98 2 door.  The doors were longer than some modern day cars.

Had a 1980 Cutlass supreme fully loaded including T-tops.  The car had a 260 2 barrel V-8 that could hardly get up a driveway approach.  Surprised it had the TH350 transmission and not a metric 200.  Swapped the motor out with a 403 from a Trans AM.  Better but nothing to write home about.

Yeah those 403’s didn’t have much!

swapped a few olds 350’s from early 70’s into them.268 comp cam Holley carb then you had something!!

I could pick up those supreme diesels cheap and throw 455 in!!

I did keep one supreme diesel and drove it as daily driver!diesel was cheap back then!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Yeah those 403’s didn’t have much!

swapped a few olds 350’s from early 70’s into them.268 comp cam Holley carb then you had something!!

I could pick up those supreme diesels cheap and throw 455 in!!

I did keep one supreme diesel and drove it as daily driver!diesel was cheap back then!!!!

Here's my 1980 cutlass after I put the 403 in it.  

Cousin did a couple diesel to gas swaps.  Cheap cars if you bought them right.

1980 Cutlass.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Here's my 1980 cutlass after I put the 403 in it.  

Cousin did a couple diesel to gas swaps.  Cheap cars if you bought them right.

1980 Cutlass.jpg

Why would you put a 403 in it? Just a garbage motor. They actually put them in 79 Trans Ams. 

Here's my old black 1971 W-30.  The one pic is with a 1972 H/O hardtop.  The other has a 1972 H/O Convertible, 1972 H/O Hardtop, 1970 442, my car and a 1970 W30.    

1971 W30 a.jpg

1971 W30 b.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Why would you put a 403 in it? Just a garbage motor. They actually put them in 79 Trans Ams. 

Guy missed a corner and barrel rolled the Trans Am with no insurance.  Bought the car cheap from him pulled the motor and trans which were basically the only good parts on the car.  Put the motor in my Cutlass and sold the transmission for what I bought the car for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Guy missed a corner and barrel rolled the Trans Am with no insurance.  Bought the car cheap from him pulled the motor and trans which were basically the only good parts on the car.  Put the motor in my Cutlass and sold the transmission for what I bought the car for. 

Good deal.

:bc: