Barn finds and limited production vehicles

Many of those so called barn finds have been known to collectors like Dennis Collins for years. They’ll work with the owner for several years until either reaching a price or the guy dies and the wife just wants it gone,

• Like 1

Am I the only one that think Wayne Carini is a sleezebag, while watching chasing classic cars ? I would love to know what he actually pays for stuff, and how much profit he makes on the different vehicles he has purchased and restored and sold over the years.

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Many of those so called barn finds have been known to collectors like Dennis Collins for years. They’ll work with the owner for several years until either reaching a price or the guy dies and the wife just wants it gone,

And this is why I like his show. Some of the cars he's been working on for years, some come from friends, some are random buys from Marketplace or Facebook group listings, some have come from tips, etc

Sometimes it's an individual car, some times it's a big collection or any number in between.

It's a full time job for him and he will travel anywhere to buy.

I'd like to see how the $ numbers work in the background.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Am I the only one that think Wayne Carini is a sleezebag, while watching chasing classic cars ? I would love to know what he actually pays for stuff, and how much profit he makes on the different vehicles he has purchased and restored and sold over the years.

I always thought he was a nice guy, he's had his shop in Portland CT, not far from here for years, before he was ever on TV.  And I liked his show, he seems genuine to me.  Buddy of mine hung out with him at a Mecum auction a few years ago, and said he was great.  I flew down to Florida last year and he was on our flight, I just said, "oh hey Wayne", he smiled and replied back.  If he was a smug jerk celebrity type, not sure he would have done that.  :dunno: 

• Like 3

I remember watching one of the big car shows, and Tim Allen, who of course is another big car guy, came up to Wayne and sarcastically asked how much he paid for that one, and then said probably 20 grand, and is now selling it for 2 million. I kinda laughed, but it got me wondering.

I,m always on the lookout for 2 door, small old cars like camaros, mustangs, darts, valiants, cudas etc,  but have never really come across anything real interesting.

I envy guys that have jobs that get to go to peoples residences, and kinda peak around at what old tuff they have, and finally are at a point were they just want it gone.   

On 5/20/2023 at 7:00 AM, DriftBusta said:

There's a guy in my town who has a 70s vintage Mopar, I think it might be a Plymouth GTX hemi.  Friggin car has been sitting in his driveway for at least 20 years, half covered, half exposed to the elements.  At one point, he had a cardboard sign on the windshield saying "Not for sale".  I mean wtf, letting the thing just sit there and rot. Makes zero sense.  His roof also has about a 20 year accumulation of moss on it, and yard is really unkept.  

Sorry I'll try to keep my yard more tidy.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:07 AM, Pete said:

Yeah I could never understand these types. The ‘special’ car I’m familiar with hasn’t moved in 40 years but is in a half assed garage. Dude won’t sell it. 

Many many cars like you described all over the country. 

On a serious note. Alot of times these people have an emotional attachment to these cars. There was an old fella in our neighborhood back in the day who constantly got bugged to sell this front end damaged Chevy 2 in his driveway. He always said no. We found out later after he passed, his son got killed while driving it. He never told anyone that when they wanted to buy it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Sorry I'll try to keep my yard more tidy.

On a serious note. Alot of times these people have an emotional attachment to these cars. There was an old fella in our neighborhood back in the day who constantly got bugged to sell this front end damaged Chevy 2 in his driveway. He always said no. We found out later after he passed, his son got killed while driving it. He never told anyone that when they wanted to buy it.

Emotionals often create attachment to vehicles but then sometimes people are just hoarders.

I posted this pic before. It’s a ‘68 Mercury 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up. It’s been sitting in this spot for close to 25 years now. I know the owner and I’ve tried to buy it. I’m sure others have tried as well but he won’t let it go. It was an abandoned project he picked up. Frame off, full nut and bolt. He finished it and drove it 2 miles to this rental property he owns. Inside that garage are 3 more cars. 2 are convertibles. He owns a farm outside of town and he has cars and trucks parked around there too but nothing special. I’m told his good stuff is inside his barn. He was into racing in the 60’s and he supposedly has several 427 side oilers.

1ABF52EC-FC18-43D1-9891-09D9BA7F91A4.thumb.jpeg.00468524f6d14b497a9e1fa9918b7f0d.jpeg

Just realized that the tailgate is still on it. It’s worth an easy $500. Amazed no one has stolen it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And this is why I like his show. Some of the cars he's been working on for years, some come from friends, some are random buys from Marketplace or Facebook group listings, some have come from tips, etc

Sometimes it's an individual car, some times it's a big collection or any number in between.

It's a full time job for him and he will travel anywhere to buy.

I'd like to see how the $ numbers work in the background.

His worth is supposedly in excess of $40M. The guy isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty or afraid of hard work. He also has a history of treating people well. 

• Like 2

Most guys will hold on to something forever thinking they are going to do something with it . Car gets ripped apart and that is about as far as it goes.  When they die kids sell it. 

kid died while building this in 70’s . Parents locked the garage door and there it sat until they died. Dad is still building cars at 77 . Took him 2 years just to get it to run, drive, steer, stop and fix all the cobbled up shit everywhere.  Making it safe to drive.  It isn’t like on TV .  If would of got car for free it would still never be worth the time he has in it.  

15DE4607-869E-4AF7-8F89-5DD40C725F20.jpeg

• Like 1

Guys will get vin#’s for vehicles they are looking for then run state by state to see if they get hit on a possible location then go looking.

also many will fly through areas and search for vehicles.

Used to be some pretty big old salvage yards in our area but most were cleaned up.buddies and myself spent hours scrounging through them in our teens!!

giles is one I remember well near Frontenac.it took up whole valley!!

mn really cleaned up the old yards!!

31 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Guys will get vin#’s for vehicles they are looking for then run state by state to see if they get hit on a possible location then go looking.

Used to be some pretty big old salvage yards in our area but most were cleaned up.buddies and myself spent hours scrounging through them in our teens!!

There are still a few big ones in the St. Cloud to Willmar area.

27 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Couple brothers I know travel to a number of salvaged yards looking primarily for late 50's early 60's parts.  Things are really getting picked over and parts 10 years ago they would just leave they are going back to get now.  The cash for clunkers program a while back basically took a whole block of vehicle and parts out of circulation.  Also when the price for scrap was high alot of vehicles were crushed and sold for scrap.

Their best yard the past 3-4 years have been put in the Dakota's where there's also large salvage yards for tractors.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Cant stand Guys that let cars just rot away for years. 

There was a guy with a Camaro on my street growing up that left one to rot. I use to drive by in mine once I got my license and ask Him to sell it to me like every couple months. He would just nod No. 

He also had a 27 Foot Checkmate that was a nice boat at one point. Same thing let it sit to rot under a big pine tree for 30 years. 9_9

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, X2700 said:

I see a lot of old rigs hidden in northern Wi! See them early spring or late fall.

need to tag them and go back and see if for sale!!

There's a smaller salvage yard right off the snowmobile trail in Christal Falls Michigan that has early to mid 60's vehicles in and it doesn't look like there's been a lot of activity in for a while.  Told the brothers I know about it and they were going to check it out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, X2700 said:

I see a lot of old rigs hidden in northern Wi! See them early spring or late fall.

need to tag them and go back and see if for sale!!

Fired up the Gargler.

This one is pretty much 80 acres of vehicles, quads/3 wheelers, sleds, etc.  It is a site to behold.  I can spend a week walking around there and digging around.

image.png.ca8f2f176c762474cd48229373ae2ff0.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

Fired up the Gargler.

This one is pretty much 80 acres of vehicles, quads/3 wheelers, sleds, etc.  It is a site to behold.  I can spend a week walking around there and digging around.

image.png.ca8f2f176c762474cd48229373ae2ff0.png

Like to walk that one!!