Barn finds and limited production vehicles

Great topic.

2 problems with this kind of stuff. One is they have owned for 50 years but don’t want to sell it or they want 6 figures for something needing a complete restoration.

I know if one such ‘special car’. But again the owner won’t sell it.

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Great topic.

2 problems with this kind of stuff. One is they have owned for 50 years but don’t want to sell it or they want 6 figures for something needing a complete restoration.

There's a guy in my town who has a 70s vintage Mopar, I think it might be a Plymouth GTX hemi.  Friggin car has been sitting in his driveway for at least 20 years, half covered, half exposed to the elements.  At one point, he had a cardboard sign on the windshield saying "Not for sale".  I mean wtf, letting the thing just sit there and rot. Makes zero sense.  His roof also has about a 20 year accumulation of moss on it, and yard is really unkept.  

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

There's a guy in my town who has a 70s vintage Mopar, I think it might be a Plymouth GTX hemi.  Friggin car has been sitting in his driveway for at least 20 years, half covered, half exposed to the elements.  At one point, he had a cardboard sign on the windshield saying "Not for sale".  I mean wtf, letting the thing just sit there and rot. Makes zero sense.  His roof also has about a 20 year accumulation of moss on it, and yard is really unkept.  

Yeah I could never understand these types. The ‘special’ car I’m familiar with hasn’t moved in 40 years but is in a half assed garage. Dude won’t sell it. 

Many many cars like you described all over the country. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doug said:

De Pere is about 60 miles Nth of me and remember hearing about the story.

Type of article I read over and over in amazement. The guy bought it all at a bargain price. Very very lucky.

Some of these you need to watch what has been claimed.  I use to own a 1971 W30 and have helped judge cars at shows.  The one in the video is highly questioned it to be an original W30.  A W30 was not available with A/C and power brakes and a 4 speed.  A/C and power brakes was only available with an automatic and had a different cam to create enough vacuum for the power brakes.  His claimed that they added A/C would be a very very big job.  The firewall is completely a different stamping  to accommodate the A/C condenser unit.  They would of had to actually cut out a section of the fire wall and modified it to weld it back in accommodate A/C.   The Hurst shifter was factory installed not dealer installed.  It should have red inner fender walls and a factory aluminum intake and it just sounds odd that he would have to replace the fender wells and the intake.  I've not seen bad original inner fender unless the car was in an accident or sat out for an extend period of time with the hood open.  The intakes had a habit of cracking by the water sending unit but was an easy fix.  It should have F heads but he didn't get into that amount of detail.  Standard 442 had G heads.

Nice car but I question if its an original W30

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

Some of these you need to watch what has been claimed.  I use to own a 1971 W30 and have helped judge cars at shows.  The one in the video is highly questioned it to be an original W30.  A W30 was not available with A/C and power brakes and a 4 speed.  A/C and power brakes was only available with an automatic and had a different cam to create enough vacuum for the power brakes.  His claimed that they added A/C would be a very very big job.  The firewall is completely a different stamping  to accommodate the A/C condenser unit.  They would of had to actually cut out a section of the fire wall and modified it to weld it back in accommodate A/C.   The Hurst shifter was factory installed not dealer installed.  It should have red inner fender walls and a factory aluminum intake and it just sounds odd that he would have to replace the fender wells and the intake.  I've not seen bad original inner fender unless the car was in an accident or sat out for an extend period of time with the hood open.  The intakes had a habit of cracking by the water sending unit but was an easy fix.  It should have F heads but he didn't get into that amount of detail.  Standard 442 had G heads.

Nice car but I question if its an original W30

You’ve judged cars? Very cool.

I fully understand your concerns. Without some original paperwork it’s very questionable unless, like you, have a understanding of how it left Oldsmobile.

I have documents for my Nova.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Great topic.

Six digits is cheap money for cars that go Seven digits at Auction.....

Trouble is you can spend seven digits restoring them

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ICG said:

Guy on at a Mecum auction had a 53 resomod Vette.  They asked why he did do a resomod?  Said it was cheaper than restoring it to original.

2 hours ago, ICG said:

some car nut. “Let me tell you about this car. I always wanted a Chevy cobra super bird. The problem is there was only 10 built and an all original one goes for 800k all day at auctions. One day I found one in field and snatched up. I have 1.6 million into the restoration and the kids I got it from didn’t know what they had. I got it for a case of beer and tow. One hell of a steal and investment”

Someone’s kids “can you believe that sucker gave us a case of beer and hauled grand daddy’s rotted car away for free? score!”

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Doug said:

Guy on at a Mecum auction had a 53 resomod Vette.  They asked why he did do a resomod?  Said it was cheaper than restoring it to original.

Definitely, and restomods are bringing good money, sometimes better than an original restoration because the problem with old cars is they drive like old cars.

I follow the truck market more than cars and restomod trucks are bringing big dollars these days.

Not a fan of Barn Find Hunter. I'm a Coffee Walk guy....lol  I like to see the stuff get sold and move on.

One of my favorite episodes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ICG said:

Then Chateau Dust will bring a premium price for it's aged patina . . . . . 

Aged to perfection, with the perfect amount of dust

IMG_20230520_174259330.jpg

IMG_20230520_174307089.jpg

Blazer or Jimmy? I've got an 87 Jimmy that's waiting for me to retire. I guess you could consider it a barn find. It's been sitting in my garage for 12 years while I've been buying parts and yes I'm going to fix it up some day..........

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Not greg b said:

some car nut. “Let me tell you about this car. I always wanted a Chevy cobra super bird. The problem is there was only 10 built and an all original one goes for 800k all day at auctions. One day I found one in field and snatched up. I have 1.6 million into the restoration and the kids I got it from didn’t know what they had. I got it for a case of beer and tow. One hell of a steal and investment”

Someone’s kids “can you believe that sucker gave us a case of beer and hauled grand daddy’s rotted car away for free? score!”

They don’t even drag em out anymore cut the vin tags off and throw it up for sale at a premium. Just buy a new dynacorn body and bam it’s that easy.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/181797517782291/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab061c9b5-a4f5-4b87-8a0e-cc3a7eb10b73

1 hour ago, X2700 said:

Have couple buddies that do half dozen or so cars for Barrett Scottsdale and sometimes a mecum every year.

He picked up couple old scouts to try out.

69448190788__F13D9F7A-3715-46B8-8278-45848D29AA35.jpeg

69448188292__41D34811-78BF-4571-A757-ACF53357211B.jpeg

That is badass!!