Alberta burning up in the spring

• Gold Member

Are multiple huge spring time wildfires normal in Canada?  Fires are starting to shut down oil production.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/27-Million-Bpd-Of-Crude-In-Alberta-Under-Extreme-Wildfire-Threat.html

Norwegian energy consultancy Rystad Energy has warned that nearly 2.7 million barrels per day of Alberta oil sands production is in"very high" or "extreme" wildfire danger rating zones in the month of May.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Are multiple huge spring time wildfires normal in Canada?  Fires are starting to shut down oil production.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/27-Million-Bpd-Of-Crude-In-Alberta-Under-Extreme-Wildfire-Threat.html

Norwegian energy consultancy Rystad Energy has warned that nearly 2.7 million barrels per day of Alberta oil sands production is in"very high" or "extreme" wildfire danger rating zones in the month of May.

as of last week, 32 were arson and get this, the one near banff was a controlled burn that got away on a group of women training to be bush fire fighters via a federal govt grant to get more women into the trade. in this country ya cant write better fiction than the truth up here

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

as of last week, 32 were arson and get this, the one near banff was a controlled burn that got away on a group of women training to be bush fire fighters via a federal govt grant to get more women into the trade. in this country ya cant write better fiction than the truth up here

So the fires were man made.  Sad.  

Amazing how stupid society has become. I worked at a company for a short while that was run by women. What a clusterfukk ! 90 % of them didn,t have a clue about any of the mechanical stuff, but some of them were cute enough, and smart enough to know who the had to fukk in the company to get promoted, making the problem even worse.

Trying to bring women into jobs that they are not equipped mentally or physically is a disaster. There are lots of jobs that are suited for women, they should stick to doing those well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Amazing how stupid society has become. I worked at a company for a short while that was run by women. What a clusterfukk ! 90 % of them didn,t have a clue about any of the mechanical stuff, but some of them were cute enough, and smart enough to know who the had to fukk in the company to get promoted, making the problem even worse.

Trying to bring women into jobs that they are not equipped mentally or physically is a disaster. There are lots of jobs that are suited for women, they should stick to doing those well.

Both my son and daughter just graduated with Associate Degrees in Fire Protection. Both of them have been volunteers on the local Fire Dept for the last 2 years and they aren't 21 yet. My daughter was the only female in her class and graduated near the top. She did everything the guys did and some of it she did better because she's smaller than them (think confined space search and rescue). Most of the guys in her class wouldn't talk to her for the first year but she earned their respect by being a bad ass. She also rides an 800 Cat and does all her own maintenance. But maybe I should just tell her that she should go be a receptionist instead? I don't think so.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Whatever was in the air yesterday, every time I'd step out of the tractor and walk around, my eyes would start watering.  It was just a haze all day here.

around 6:30 last night the sun sure was an odd looking orange... haze.  pollen is also heavy right now and I'm back on a Zyrtec regiment 

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, soeaster said:

Both my son and daughter just graduated with Associate Degrees in Fire Protection. Both of them have been volunteers on the local Fire Dept for the last 2 years and they aren't 21 yet. My daughter was the only female in her class and graduated near the top. She did everything the guys did and some of it she did better because she's smaller than them (think confined space search and rescue). Most of the guys in her class wouldn't talk to her for the first year but she earned their respect by being a bad ass. She also rides an 800 Cat and does all her own maintenance. But maybe I should just tell her that she should go be a receptionist instead? I don't think so.

:goodpost:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

This is the dumbest post I've seen in awhile. 

• Like 4

I'm all for women in any position including physically demanding jobs as long as the requirements weren't modified to allow them to pass.   Same goes with certain mental tests where they adjusted the requirements to allow for more applicants to pass.  For things such as infantry and what not there should not be 2 standards. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

around 6:30 last night the sun sure was an odd looking orange... haze.  pollen is also heavy right now and I'm back on a Zyrtec regiment 

A57F85D7-2985-450E-95D5-2B65D8DFEBC0.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soeaster said:

good for her. i wont take away her accomplishments because she rides a cat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

A57F85D7-2985-450E-95D5-2B65D8DFEBC0.jpeg

Same thing here in Iowa.   Can't smell it because its high but makes for cool sunsets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

It is raining here right now, so hopefully it'll knock a bunch of it down.

• Like 1

It's been making it all the way to the northeast as well. I haven't noticed any smoke smell, but it is causing hazy skies on and off for the past week or two.

4 hours ago, soeaster said:

As long as she is only assigned duties she can handle, good for her, but they are very limited. Many places have different standards for women and men ? Is firefighting not one of them ? 

Now picture yourself being caught in a house on fire, and being 225 pounds, and passed out, and then tell me truthfully who you would like to be around to drag your ass out of a burning building, or having to carry you out on their shoulder down a 50 ft. ladder.  

5 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

As long as she is only assigned duties she can handle, good for her, but they are very limited. Many places have different standards for women and men ? Is firefighting not one of them ? 

Now picture yourself being caught in a house on fire, and being 225 pounds, and passed out, and then tell me truthfully who you would like to be around to drag your ass out of a burning building, or having to carry you out on their shoulder down a 50 ft. ladder.  

There is a single standard for both males and females in the fire service. Women have to meet the same standards as men. 

Would you be able to drag 225 pounds of dead weight out of a burning building or down a ladder? If you could, you'd be a rarity. 

Firefighting is a team sport, they do things as a group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bontz said:

One of the campgrounds we frequent every season (Old Barn Resort) posted this pic yesterday ... almost looks fake

May be an image of eclipse and twilight

This is a picture of my work, not fake 

IMG_3274.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg

IMG_3282.jpeg