Woodticks

On 5/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, racinfarmer said:

No, not that jackass member, that creepy crawly thing.

Out here is Western MN has been really bad.  I've found a dozen crawling around me this weekend.

Anyone else seem to notice a lot more of those blood suckers than normal?

Utah, Montana, Washington, Wisconsin, and BC. All terrible. Never seen it so bad. Found one on my dog’s head yesterday. It was the size of corn kernel. Couldn’t have been there more than a couple of days. Poor guy. 

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Utah, Montana, Washington, Wisconsin, and BC. All terrible. Never seen it so bad. Found one on my dog’s head yesterday. It was the size of corn kernel. Couldn’t have been there more than a couple of days. Poor guy. 

i give my dog bravecto. one treat and he is good for 3 months, even longer. i have a golden and he would be infested. last one had lyme but we caught it. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member

The ticks here in Connecticut have been getting worse every year it seems. I spray the fuck outta my yard and that helps some. 

Riding the quad/dirtbikes almost isnt fun anymore in the spring/summer since everytime I go in the woods I gotta strip down in the garage when I come back and usually have 1 or 2 on me everytime. 

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I'm sure I will but I haven't seen any ticks yet.  Mosquito's??  HOLY FUCK are they thick in central Sconnie this year!!  @Crnr2Crnr  You seeing this as well there in the woods?

yup... spiders too 

when we finally wipe ourselves off this planet the insects will still be here

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

yup... spiders too 

when we finally wipe ourselves off this planet the insects will still be here

Don't forget Keith Richards!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

i give my dog bravecto. one treat and he is good for 3 months, even longer. i have a golden and he would be infested. last one had lyme but we caught it. 

I’ve been against giving my dogs that stuff. I’m rethinking it and talking to the vet about a script. He had over 10 ticks on his head. Many were very small so they remained undetectable in his fur until they became engorged. Now he’s got large bumps where ever there was a tick. Ugh. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve been against giving my dogs that stuff. I’m rethinking it and talking to the vet about a script. He had over 10 ticks on his head. Many were very small so they remained undetectable in his fur until they became engorged. Now he’s got large bumps where ever there was a tick. Ugh. 

yeah the risk is worth it. wait till one of those ticks ends up on you. lyme can really fuck your dog up. my neighbor had his get kidney failure, needed expensive meds forever. my other buddy swore by seresto collars till his dog had ticks in both ears. 2 inches from the collar

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That really sucks…I’ve stayed away from the chewable flea and tick meds because of the side effects and instead use the drops once a month…the vet recommended Vectra for our Cattle Dog and it seems to work well with no issues.

6 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I hate the shit. Even thou I have absolutly no proof , I still beleive it is what is causing high rates of cancer in dogs.

31 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I hate the shit. Even thou I have absolutly no proof , I still beleive it is what is causing high rates of cancer in dogs.

Has to be something. I’ve lost my last 3 to cancer. Goldens have a way of getting deep in your soul and losing them rocks me to the core. We’re so heavy with ticks I have no choice. I wonder about foods as well , plus them getting our food. I avoid that and food with byproducts. This one has me deep as well

279CC697-0F84-45CF-B130-058AC62632CF.jpeg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Dobermans are riddled with cancers due to a shallow gene pool. Breeders intensifying desirable traits through inbreeding. I’m not sure how that might apply to other breeds. 

43 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Dobermans are riddled with cancers due to a shallow gene pool. Breeders intensifying desirable traits through inbreeding. I’m not sure how that might apply to other breeds. 

goldens known for it

• 2 weeks later...

After 10 years here in northern Vermont today was the 1at time that I have had a Rick on me. Not one, but 2 in the last 6 hours. I guess it's time to get Frontline or something similar for the pooch.

7 hours ago, ckf said:

After 10 years here in northern Vermont today was the 1at time that I have had a Rick on me. Not one, but 2 in the last 6 hours. I guess it's time to get Frontline or something similar for the pooch.

a rick? don't tell me there's something else out there ! 

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:42 AM, EvilBird said:

The ticks here in Connecticut have been getting worse every year it seems. I spray the fuck outta my yard and that helps some. 

Riding the quad/dirtbikes almost isnt fun anymore in the spring/summer since everytime I go in the woods I gotta strip down in the garage when I come back and usually have 1 or 2 on me everytime. 

I remember back when the wife and I were in the Army the first order of business coming home from the field was a full body tick check. 

If it wasn't ticks it was fucking chiggers. God I hate insects.

One thing I like about trail riding in the General is the protection it offers from the bastids...

Edited by Snake
  • Like 2

I used to hunt for deer sheds every spring back when our herd was strong. My worst trip I pulled 28 off of my clothes and skin and the 2 guys with me had them just as bad. I didn't do it much after that, fuck that.

• Gold Member

A couple of years ago my brother went to Nookland and shot a bear. He also got bit by a tic and came home with Bells Palsy. He recovered but it took several months.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

Those little bastards cause a lot of damage . I know several people with Lyme disease. 

This is the only lime I want!

Screenshot_20230529_201605.jpg

57 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

My dog's heart worm meds have flea and tick repellent and he also has a Soresto collar

soresto doesn't cut it around here. my buddy tried, ticks in the dog right next to the collar.