Motorcycle rider deaths are out of control

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Around here it’s deer 

Guy I went to HS with hit a cow moose on the highway in the evening. Spent about 4 months in hospital. Killed the cow.

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I should have added animals too.  A deer got a buddy of ours some years back.  Guy was an enduro champ, and a top shelf rider.  Still killed him on his way to work one day.  I've had a few run out in front of me too, but thankfully I wasn't going very fast and was able to avoid them.

I almost hit a deer and a moose on the same trail 10 mins apart....sleds are no different in that respect.  

I don't ride my street bike on weekends.....but the roads do get busier every year. It's like nobody works anymore. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Around here it’s deer 

Years ago a friend of mine hit a deer tore the hind quarters off, a local farmer picked them up, when the trooper got there he was looking them in the stream that went under the road next to where the body was, he broke his collarbone and was bruised up was all.

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, 1jkw said:

I've considered a Canam Spyder, seems like it might be a little safer, absolutely no big HP. bikes the disconnect between my throttle hand and brain would mean certain death.

Never been on a can-am but they look like they be fun. Those T-Rex things look really fun too but the price of those is way outta my league rather have a muscle car for that money

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Never been on a can-am but they look like they be fun. Those T-Rex things look really fun too but the price of those is way outta my league rather have a muscle car for that money

A friend of mine put 30,000 plus miles on his Spyder, I'm sure much more by now, he used to build and ride custom Harleys, he said  wished he had one instead of the bikes when he was younger.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

What's a "cager"?

What is cager slang for?

According to Urban Dictionary, “cager” is a term coined by motorcyclists for drivers of four-wheeled vehicles. It's often used in a derogatory way because a cager isn't willing to share the road with motorcyclists.May
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ckf said:

Did he change the powerplant to Textron and paint it green :dunno:

No but our friend Pierre has one that he painted green and put little artic cat aircat stickers on lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

A friend of mine put 30,000 plus miles on his Spyder, I'm sure much more by now, he used to build and ride custom Harleys, he said  wished he had one instead of the bikes when he was younger.

There's a Walmart Queen in town, has to be 350lbs+ that drives one. People stop and stare, looks like a kids toy under her.

267 miles today. Planned my own route on my GPS, stayed off the main roads (which I usually do anyway). Had a great time. New bike ran phenomenal!! Me and my g/f go for a week ride every year. I live in Ohio, been to Maine, all over Tennessee, did the Kentucky bourbon run, Blue Ridge parkway. Never an issue. We take all back roads, way more fun, more people to meet, and you can run faster there than the freeway. Oh yeah, up around the outskirts of Michigan (hold your hand up, yes we did the whole outer side around the thumb and all!!) Up into the UP, down thru Wisconsin and around. We do around 4500-5000 in a week. Oh yeah....We own the entire east coast also.....Yes it is dangerous out there. But so is getting out of bed in the morning!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, toslow said:

Should be graduating cc,s along with licenses.

Should not be allowed to buy a litre bike on a new license 

Had a young guy who just had his license for about a month come into the our shop to look at a Ducati Panigale 1199 we had taken in trade. He was riding a KZ550 and looked fairly timid riding it. It had just misted and the roads had a sheen on them. He asked if he could try it out and I said to him that I was saving his life today and said absolutely not. I am a decent rider with well over 200k of riding and that thing had my utmost respect. A high performance 600 will do 170 and things can go haywire in a hurry. Chances of surviving a crash over 60 are not that good. 

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Bikes are fun but its high risk. I've given them up after years of riding. Just lost interest. My son quit after 2 spills. Once on the road. He hit the back of a car when he was distracted, car panic stopped. He flew over the trunk and landed on the curb. Bike was a mess but he got away with bruises. Then he crashed at a race track and broke his collar bone. He'll never ride again.

I had a mechanic who worked on my trucks. Sold his business at 55 and took a job at the local city works yard fixing buses so he could take it easy, have some time  to ride his Harley. A year later he went for a Sunday tour. A car pulled out in front of him on a 2 lane highway, he T-boned it and died on the scene. He was a real nice guy.

Shit happens so fast on a bike.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Bikes are fun but its high risk. I've given them up after years of riding. Just lost interest. My son quit after 2 spills. Once on the road. He hit the back of a car when he was distracted, car panic stopped. He flew over the trunk and landed on the curb. Bike was a mess but he got away with bruises. Then he crashed at a race track and broke his collar bone. He'll never ride again.

I had a mechanic who worked on my trucks. Sold his business at 55 and took a job at the local city works yard fixing buses so he could take it easy, have some time  to ride his Harley. A year later he went for a Sunday tour. A car pulled out in front of him on a 2 lane highway, he T-boned it and died on the scene. He was a real nice guy.

Shit happens so fast on a bike.

Collarbones are a common injury on bikes. Did mine in on a patch of sand turning. I bet driftbusta has busted up 1 or 2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I keep threatening to go buy myself a KLR650, but every time I'm about ready to pull the trigger, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Maybe later in the year.

just buy it already , otherwise your nothing but 550 and a boat . :lol2:

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

just buy it already , otherwise your nothing but 550 and a boat . :lol2:

Except he didn't say Dirt Bike magazine is wanting to write an article about the bike he's buying.  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:01 AM, f7ben said:

Should be the same thing for legal limit of alcohol. Why should I be subjected to a .08 when I can drive better than most while I’m at a .18 but some 21 year old blonde college chick who shouldn’t be driving sober is allowed to have 3 white claws and drive legally even though she’s hammered at a .07?  

Are you drunk or sober now?

Because you're stupid as fuck!

• Haha 1

I hit a deer on my way to work 3 years ago.

5 of them came out of the trees and started running parallel with me in the ditch. I got on the brakes real quick and that's when a year old made a 90° right infront of me and tried to jump the road. The front tire of my KLR caught it right infront of its hind leg and sent it spinning into the ditch. Thankfully I managed to slow down enough that I didn't crash and stayed on the bike.

• Like 2