More and more Americans don't want electric cars

More and more Americans don't want electric cars

The 2024 Polestar 2.
21% of car shoppers said they wouldn't buy an electric car as their next vehicle, according to JD Power.  Polestar

• Americans are getting more divided on electric vehicles. 
  • While EVs gain market share, more and more people say don't want one as their next car. 
  • Factors repelling buyers from EVs include long charging times, lack of charging stations, and high pricing. 

Battery-powered cars seem like the next big thing, but a growing portion of Americans aren't ready to give up internal combustion.

The percentage of Americans who say they're "very unlikely" to buy an electric vehicle as their next car is growing, according to JD Power, which keeps close tabs on consumer sentiment around EVs. In JD Power's surveys, the EV-skeptic contingent has steadily grown from 17.8% to 21% of respondents between January and March. 

The share of consumers on the opposite end of the spectrum (those "very likely" to go electric) has stayed mostly flat this year, most recently measured at 26.9%. 

"Top-line metrics on overall EV market share, availability and affordability have been on a long-term upward trend," the market research firm said. "But beneath those headline numbers we are starting to see some consumer behaviors that suggest a possible bifurcation of the automotive marketplace."

Some potential car buyers are getting more adamant about not wanting an EV during a transformative and crucial time for the auto business. Carmakers who didn't pay all that much attention to EV technology in years past are dumping billions into developing cleaner cars. That's in part due to tightening environmental regulations around the globe. Plus, they've seen the success of Tesla (now the world's most valuable carmaker by market capitalization) and they now want in on the EV party. 

But for that to happen, automakers need to convince shoppers to embrace a new and unfamiliar technology. As JD Power's research shows, that's easier said than done. While interest in EVs is growing — EV market share shot up from 2.6% in February 2020 to 8.5% in February 2023 — there are still lots of sticking points keeping buyers from considering a Tesla or the like. 

High purchase price and lack of charging stations were the most-cited reasons for not wanting an EV, followed by limited driving range and time required to charge. Respondents were also concerned about EV performance in extreme temperatures, cost of ownership, lack of repair shops, reliability, and power outages. 

Interestingly, it isn't just rigid older folks who are skewing the numbers. While the majority of Boomers and Pre-Boomers aren't considering EVs, 33% of Gen Z shoppers also told JD Power they were either "somewhat unlikely" or "very unlikely" to buy an EV. 

Truth.

No one wants that shit. My Son n law has one for a demo now…..for free,  and doesn’t want it. It doesn’t work for him. We are letting know nothing dumb fucks destroy the country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Someone must be in the fossil fuel business. Change happens embrace it or be left behind.

Change and progression happen continuously throughout time, anyone that denies it is a fool. What the change will end up being nobody knows but it's coming whether anyone likes it or not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HSR said:

Change and progression happen continuously throughout time, anyone that denies it is a fool. What the change will end up being nobody knows but it's coming whether anyone likes it or not.

Change and progression for the better. 

I remember when guys were fighting FI when it was replacing carburetors .  That was change for the better. It took refinement to get it right, but when it was consumer’s wanted it on their own.  Hybrids work well and should be the next step. 

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Change and progression for the better. 

I remember when guys were fighting FI when it was replacing carburetors .  That was change for the better. It took refinement to get it right, but when it was consumer’s wanted it on their own.  Hybrids work well and should be the next step. 

I agree :bc:

Man when efi came out it was like the car vs the horse and buggy all over again:lol:

I like hybrids and will be looking into one soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, $poorsledder$ said:

How about a midsized 4wd hybrid truck that can tow in -20F and costs around 30K.

Keep talking :news:

2 hours ago, HSR said:

I agree :bc:

Man when efi came out it was like the car vs the horse and buggy all over again:lol:

I like hybrids and will be looking into one soon.

A lot of changes in the last 30 years. Some good…..some bad.  
Something I wouldn’t even thought of when asking what he didn’t like.  I think at one time or another everyone runs their vehicle down to E and thinks  I don’t want to stop and get gas, do it later.  You have something come up, you can jump in your car and take off. Not doing that with a trickle of charge left in your EV .  

• Like 1

This we do know. Costing a lot of people their jobs.  Hard to keep lying about it when more and more are being shown the door to compensate for a expensive product that the majority of Americans just don’t want. 

F72CD530-72D9-4F6B-8344-235E6584AC3F.jpeg

BB12AEC3-B2A4-4A31-815C-1550C6082E25.jpeg

5760A66B-82EF-4C36-BE5C-7124D130F247.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Someone must be in the fossil fuel business. Change happens embrace it or be left behind.

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Cordless drills

I really fail to see any value in you dumbass comments 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
16 hours ago, Mainecat said:

13 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Cordless drills

Agree see big oil.

Your Canadian why would you

A12BCCDB-33BC-4219-B4CC-EFDD10925AD2.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I own you junior.

If you cashed out your life savings and sold everything you own you still couldn't buy me Gramps :news: