Anyone here want to admit to owning a Nytro? Good/Bad?

Young guy that works for me got into riding this winter on borrowed sleds. 

Decided he needs his own and really liked the Nytro he rode.

Anyone here have or had one? 

I don't know a ton about them, bit it was a love or hate sled from what I remember.

Looks like a cold ride.

Why is a vast majority of the ones for sale 08's or 09's?

Would you buy a 18k mile 2012 for cheap?  Ok, that one is for me.

early ones had a lot of issues with the front end parts wearing out in a hurry.  Also they were the best selling, because of the hype of a "high performance 4 stroke"  sales declined quickly when word got out that they handled terrible, and had a more unpredictable front end than doo.

FWIW, we took a bunch on trade, I rode a few never owned any

• Like 1

has he ridden anything else that's more modern?  what's his price range?  is he focused on those particular sleds just because he rode one?  have to imagine there's better stuff out there.  should be a lot of older Cat's for sale come fall.  

i did not own but rode with 2. one was an 08 rtx, the other an 09rtx se. they fixed a lot for 09 but still an ill handling pos. engine is stellar. sounds good and pulls good too. handles like shit. 09 better than 08. 08 transferred all the time so it was tough steering. the 08 was on a quest to beat my 07d7 . spent tons of money only to get beat. both leaked oil when ridden like a bump sled. small gas tank a pain in the ass . starter solenoid had issues, parts falling off, cold ride. the 08 collided with an f7. f7 had a chip in the a arm, nytro had one ski 6 inches farther back than the other. this was a light hit, almost 4k . they claimed it had the 09 bulkhead, supposed to be stronger. the 09 he still has, turbo etc. the 08 was sold. we all hit a ditch in the trail at a good clip. i had no issue but it broke the suspension in an apex, and bent the tunnel on the nytro. the rivets had little metal lumps hanging over them. as i said didn't own, but was right there. even have a little video. 

11 hours ago, Deephaven said:

At no price do they make sense.  Takes so many upgrades to get them to do anything right it just isn't worth it.  18k mi the motor may be fine but the rest of the sled will be shot.

The 18k mile sled is one I might make a offer on.  Enough Hamm's today I might shoot of insultingly low offer.  Worst thing that happens is they accept it and I have to part it out.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

has he ridden anything else that's more modern?  what's his price range?  is he focused on those particular sleds just because he rode one?  have to imagine there's better stuff out there.  should be a lot of older Cat's for sale come fall.  

I think he has ridden a Sidewinder, a Jag Z1, and something else.  And the Nytro.

I tried to push him towards a Crossfire 600, Dragon 600, or Rush 600.

He wants to stay at $4000 or below.  I think you could find any of the 3 I mentioned for under $4k right now and in good shape too.

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

i did not own but rode with 2. one was an 08 rtx, the other an 09rtx se. they fixed a lot for 09 but still an ill handling pos. engine is stellar. sounds good and pulls good too. handles like shit. 09 better than 08. 08 transferred all the time so it was tough steering. the 08 was on a quest to beat my 07d7 . spent tons of money only to get beat. both leaked oil when ridden like a bump sled. small gas tank a pain in the ass . starter solenoid had issues, parts falling off, cold ride. the 08 collided with an f7. f7 had a chip in the a arm, nytro had one ski 6 inches farther back than the other. this was a light hit, almost 4k . they claimed it had the 09 bulkhead, supposed to be stronger. the 09 he still has, turbo etc. the 08 was sold. we all hit a ditch in the trail at a good clip. i had no issue but it broke the suspension in an apex, and bent the tunnel on the nytro. the rivets had little metal lumps hanging over them. as i said didn't own, but was right there. even have a little video. 

I'll keep that in mind.  I told him to look for a 09 or newer if he is insisting on a Nytro and he already knows he wants the XTX.

4 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

The 18k mile sled is one I might make a offer on.  Enough Hamm's today I might shoot of insultingly low offer.  Worst thing that happens is they accept it and I have to part it out.

I think he has ridden a Sidewinder, a Jag Z1, and something else.  And the Nytro.

I tried to push him towards a Crossfire 600, Dragon 600, or Rush 600.

He wants to stay at $4000 or below.  I think you could find any of the 3 I mentioned for under $4k right now and in good shape too.

I'll keep that in mind.  I told him to look for a 09 or newer if he is insisting on a Nytro and he already knows he wants the XTX.

there's some out there... that is not a pretty sled  :puke:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/111970832148169/search?query=yamaha nytro

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

some cosmetic imperfections  is a polite way of calling it ugly

what's it worth parted out?  

I finger if I'm all in to it for say $1700 after delivery and before any parts, I can part the thing out and not loose a ton of money.

Or get good a boozed up at Princeton and buy shit make it look decent, ride it a few times, and sell it.

Son had an 2008, bent the bulkhead and Yamaha replaced it under warranty. He bought a 2012 XTX and beat the living piss

out of it for 8 years. Had 15k miles on it when he sold it, still going. Only issues were fuel pump relays and hand warmers.

He was young and strong, had no issues handling it and could easily lead the pack.

That being said, once he changed brands he would never go back

19 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I don't know a ton about them, bit it was a love or hate sled from what I remember.

Looks like a cold ride.

@Rigid1 @f7ben

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I remember them being quite dangerous to race when they came out.  I think they burned hyfax like the Great Springfield Tire Fire too.

The one he is looking for is the XTX crossover.

Get a 2009 or newer, Xtx is the one to get, the 121 was to short, I made my rtx a 129"..But anyway, ask if the rear skid has the "Star kit",..if it doesn't you need it..make sure it has copper exhaust doughnuts, of it doesn't you need it..make sure the A-arms have the bronze bushings kit, if it doesn't you need it, Make sure it has Vespa

Slides  and Excell boogie wheels, if it doesn't you need it.. Curve xs skis rock on that sled..

Once all that's done it's a killer sled

Screenshot_20220716-113304.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Get a 2009 or newer, Xtx is the one to get, the 121 was to short, I made my rtx a 129"..But anyway, ask if the rear skid has the "Star kit",..if it doesn't you need it..make sure it has copper exhaust doughnuts, of it doesn't you need it..make sure the A-arms have the bronze bushings kit, if it doesn't you need it, Make sure it has Vespa

Slides  and Excell boogie wheels, if it doesn't you need it.. Curve xs skis rock on that sled..

Once all that's done it's a killer sled

Screenshot_20220716-113304.png

Man, he is going to be able to get like a $8000 sled by the time he does all that to a $4000 Nytro! :lol:

I'll pass it along, but I doubt he'll be too interested in any of that.

• Platinum Contributing Member
19 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Man, he is going to be able to get like a $8000 sled by the time he does all that to a $4000 Nytro! :lol:

I'll pass it along, but I doubt he'll be too interested in any of that.

More than likely it has already been done, it a rarity to find a nytro the things I have mentioned were not done

You want an 09 or newer.
And you want an XTX.

The 09's have the updated front geometry.
The XTX is a 144 with a tipped rail and is the best setup/balance for this sled.
The short track is too stubby with all of the front end weight, and the MTX is way too long for a sled like this.

09+ XTX or bust.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, racinfarmer said:

Looks like a cold ride.

my business partner here has one, an XTX. it is actually a pretty good trail sled, handles great and rails the trails. but, that's after a TON of work over the years to get it there. also, we supercharged it.

the shorty versions handle like shit in comparison to his 144 though, in my experience

On 4/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, Not greg b said:

I have road them. They suck and the reason Yamaha doesn’t build snowmobiles anymore 

I always wondered if that was the nail in the coffin. They tried to make a ditch banger and it was a disaster. 

On 4/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, Not greg b said:

I have road them. They suck and the reason Yamaha doesn’t build snowmobiles anymore 

My 09 was a great trail sled, horrid ditch banger.
I'm 6'2 240 lbs and in pretty good shape, and its a workout for sure.

But on a trail or even on some crossover stuff if it wasn't too deep, great sled.
My 09 was picked, piped and clutched and from a dig it would stand right up in a wheelie.