Gauntlet / Handguard integration & Tunnel bag to store them

Currently have a pair of the Doo muffs that I keep in my bag.  They are huge, don't work with handguards, but otherwise are effective.  I'd love a floppier pair that uses the handguard for structure and packs smaller than these do.  Looking for feedback from anyone who has tried any of these or has others.  I also have a pair of cold guards, but find that they really aren't that much more effective than handguards.  The Rox sort of look like the best option from the list to fill my needs without ever seeing them...

-Rox All Season Gauntlet ASG https://roxspeedfx.com/products/all-season-gauntlet-style-handguards

-PowerMadd Handguard gauntlet x2 (or 1) https://www.powermadd.com/atv/handguards/gauntlets/handguard-gauntlet-x2.html

-Polaris snowmobile driver gauntlet https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/customization-style/handguards/2883716/

Ones that need a permanent mount on the end of the bar I eliminated.

-Skinz Burandt Grizzly gauntlet 

-Ski Doo -> although I run mine without it, it means they rotate.  Not quite big enough to work once a handguard is on.  Means I run no handguards until it gets to -10F or so then I run the gauntlet.  I'd like both.

Curious what you all use when it is cold....

Edit: added storage bag to the topic as they are all too big to fit with my tools in the built in storage.  

Looking for a tunnel bag solution that will not scratch my tunnel all up like the previous Burandt bag I had.

Edited by Deephaven

I went with a pair of the Klim Tundra Heated gloves this year.  Super impressed with how they deflected the wind without a gauntlet.  And I only used them on low, that was plenty warm.  So yeah, I carry two set of gloves if I know it going to be well below zero at some point during the riding hours.  Draw back is they are a little bulky feeling, if that is a concern.

I still have my big sloppy PowerMadd gauntlets, that could fit over hand guards, but they are older (Probably don't make them anymore) yet fold up pretty nicely.  If I don't have bag space, I can just strap them to the rear rack.  

Interesting on the heated glove.  Fundamentally it is my throttle thumb that freezes first which when that happens the gauntlets solve the concern.  Are these the floppy Powermadd's you carry? https://www.powermadd.com/handguard-gauntlet.html  The X2 version looks more robust, but I like just having these in a compartment at all times.

Those look pretty close to what I have.  I just don't have hand guards so I can't say for sure how they fit.

Yeah, the thumb is the first thing cold for me also.  The heated gloves had that covered well.

• 1 month later...

I've used the Rox ASG with the base plastic frames.  After using them a few seasons I just leave them on most of the time.  They leave quite a bit of access to the bars and don't really get in the way.  I also fight cold thumbs at times and these are not perfect for that issue.  The material around the bar is a little too loose and lets in air at speed.  I tried gorilla tape over the opening and it helps quite a bit.

I also have the PMadd X2 setup with hand guards.  They are warmer but also make it harder to access the bars vs. the ASG.  They are a little deeper and have a smaller open area.  I usually take these off and store them because they are harder to use all day.  This style takes a little extra room to store because the stiff material doesn't fold or smash down easily.

I hate cold hands and mine are messed up from years of abuse.  I'm usually after two main goals.  Ease of use and warmth. I've fooled around with quite a few gauntlet/handguard variations over the years.    Plain ol handguards don't seem to help keep my hands warm at all.  I've tried the oversized guards like flex tec, coldwave, and heatlocs.   They are a little better than nothing, but not enough for super cold.  I did like the easy access.

I've tried a couple variations of window gauntlets.  Maybe it was the early stuff, but the windows were worthless after a couple cold weather folds.  I never did find a set that didn't seem bulky.

Some of those cheap floppy velcro attached gauntlets are dang warm,but hard to use.  They cover the gap on ride or not ride decisions for the worst cold days.  I carry a set around for super cold days and emergencies. 

The ASG is my main setup.  Easy to use and they don't look terrible.  They are not the warmest set, but good enough for most days.  I had a super cold trip last season where I tucked a set of the floppy cheapo jobbers under them.  (One advantage of the handguard style mount)  If you want warm hands that really does the trick, but it's more work.

I ordered a pair.  Only bummer is they are really big to carry with you.  Normally I won't need/want them, but I am sure they will be killer when it gets colder!!  The fit on the Rox guards is great!

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I ordered a pair.  Only bummer is they are really big to carry with you.  Normally I won't need/want them, but I am sure they will be killer when it gets colder!!  The fit on the Rox guards is great!

Did your old sled have the smart grips?

I have the Ski-Doo gauntlets that I use to carry along and take on and off as needed.  I do have some issues with my hands getting cold when it gets below zero.  Since I've had sleds with smart grips I haven't had to use gauntlets.  Still have them in the truck but no longer carry them on the sled.

No and I basically don't run a windshield and didn't run handguards on my old sled.  I get hot really easy.  Handguards are fine, but the doo muffs don't fit over them so they came off.  It is always my thumb that gets cold otherwise I may not ever even need the muffs.  

It'd be great if I don't have to carry them on the sled as that would mean I don't need a bag.  Shopping for one of those as well now.  Previous burandt bag scratched my tunnel up so contemplating a linq setup and bracket or the kimpex connect....but that should be another thread.

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

No and I basically don't run a windshield and didn't run handguards on my old sled.  I get hot really easy.  Handguards are fine, but the doo muffs don't fit over them so they came off.  It is always my thumb that gets cold otherwise I may not ever even need the muffs.  

It'd be great if I don't have to carry them on the sled as that would mean I don't need a bag.  Shopping for one of those as well now.  Previous burandt bag scratched my tunnel up so contemplating a linq setup and bracket or the kimpex connect....but that should be another thread.

I added the Kimpex setup on my XCR for our UP saddlebag trip this past January and was happy with it.  Like you experienced with the Burandt bag, my buddies had that & also dealt with the scratches on their tunnels.  The Kimpex bag may not look that great when it's packed full (like a tall box on the back of your sled) but I'll take function over looks when it comes to saddlebag trips.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I added the Kimpex setup on my XCR for our UP saddlebag trip this past January and was happy with it.  Like you experienced with the Burandt bag, my buddies had that & also dealt with the scratches on their tunnels.  

Friend of mine gave me a roll of clear film.  I put it on my tunnel when I put a storage bag on so it wouldn't scratch the tunnel.

He does wraps and they use it on painted bumpers to prevent stone chips.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I added the Kimpex setup on my XCR for our UP saddlebag trip this past January and was happy with it.  Like you experienced with the Burandt bag, my buddies had that & also dealt with the scratches on their tunnels.  The Kimpex bag may not look that great when it's packed full (like a tall box on the back of your sled) but I'll take function over looks when it comes to saddlebag trips.  

How does it look mostly empty?  Normally it would only need to hold my gauntlets and if playing off travel my flat shovel & tow bungie.  Keep meaning to order one from Amazon and just return it if it is shitty...

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Friend of mine gave me a roll of clear film.  I put it on my tunnel when I put a storage bag on so it wouldn't scratch the tunnel.

He does wraps and they use it on painted bumpers to prevent stone chips.

Yup - buddy of mine ended up adding the equivalent of a black upper tunnel wrap to cover up the scratches.  It looks like new and you can't even tell it has a wrap covering it up.  When I was originally thinking about the Polaris bag, I was considering some sort of padding like what you see used as a computer mouse pad.  But the Kimpex style made it easy and I didn't have to worry about scratching the tunnel.

OK - done now ... sorry to derail the gauntlet discussion :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

How does it look mostly empty?  Normally it would only need to hold my gauntlets and if playing off travel my flat shovel & tow bungie.  Keep meaning to order one from Amazon and just return it if it is shitty...

Here’s a few pics …

IMG_1173.jpeg

IMG_1172.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, one more derail question...and it's only partly a derail as it is for storing said gauntlets.  The Kimpex stays completely off the tunnel?  ie, no concern of scratching it besides of course the mounts?

Just now, Deephaven said:

Well, one more derail question...and it's only partly a derail as it is for storing said gauntlets.  The Kimpex stays completely off the tunnel?  ie, no concern of scratching it besides of course the mounts?

Correct - it sits above the tunnel.  Pretty much like the linq setup where the bag is mounted into the brackets which slide/mount into the slots on top of the tunnel.  Super easy install.

Thanks.  Hard to tell from their videos and marketing.  I like the expandable bag as it down will hold the gauntlets and when I backpack with it the rest of my clothes and such.  The linq versions that size are just as boxy and ugly.  Going to just change the title of the thread to gauntlets and a bag to store them.  Any other bags worth looking at?

• Deephaven changed the title to Gauntlet / Handguard integration & Tunnel bag to store them

Derail #2:  I was going to ask if you were staying with that god awful huge sway bar?  :D

I still have the smaller one from my '18 XCR sitting in my pile of parts, mount bushings and all.

22 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Thanks.  Hard to tell from their videos and marketing.  I like the expandable bag as it down will hold the gauntlets and when I backpack with it the rest of my clothes and such.  The linq versions that size are just as boxy and ugly.  Going to just change the title of the thread to gauntlets and a bag to store them.  Any other bags worth looking at?

When I use to carry the Ski-Doo gauntlet on my sled would fold one up tight and put it in the glove box and the other one in the underseat storage where I also have a tool bag

Edited by Doug

14 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Derail #2:  I was going to ask if you were staying with that god awful huge sway bar?  :D

I still have the smaller one from my '18 XCR sitting in my pile of parts, mount bushings and all.

Hadn't looked to make sure the new XCR has the smaller one yet.  Good point.

3 minutes ago, Doug said:

When I use to carry the Ski-Doo gauntlet on my sled would fold one up tight and put it in the glove box and the other one in the underseat storage where I also have a tool bag

My tools fill the back almost completely ...and the glove box carries extra gloves and goggles.

22 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Hadn't looked to make sure the new XCR has the smaller one yet.  Good point.

Same dia sway bar as a VR1.  .531 dia just measured them

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

Cosmetically I liked the Burandt bag.

H7aKz5y.jpg

The 40L Linq non-collapsible is super ugly

The slim waterproof is okay looking: VX1HDfS.jpg

The 40l double isn't horrible.

N8hTTdF.png

...but totally open to other options.  Curious if anyone has something they love.   The Poo boxes look like they will jack up the tunnel....

• Like 1