Clarence Thomas and the Billionaire

Source: ProPublica via MSN

In late June 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef. 

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too. 

For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year from the Dallas businessman without disclosing them, documents and interviews show. A public servant who has a salary of $285,000, he has vacationed on Crow’s superyacht around the globe. He flies on Crow’s Bombardier Global 5000 jet. He has gone with Crow to the Bohemian Grove, the exclusive California all-male retreat, and to Crow’s sprawling ranch in East Texas. And Thomas typically spends about a week every summer at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks. 

The extent and frequency of Crow’s apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/clarence-thomas-and-the-billionaire/ar-AA19xpVG  

6 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Source: ProPublica via MSN

In late June 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef. 

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too. 

For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year from the Dallas businessman without disclosing them, documents and interviews show. A public servant who has a salary of $285,000, he has vacationed on Crow’s superyacht around the globe. He flies on Crow’s Bombardier Global 5000 jet. He has gone with Crow to the Bohemian Grove, the exclusive California all-male retreat, and to Crow’s sprawling ranch in East Texas. And Thomas typically spends about a week every summer at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks. 

The extent and frequency of Crow’s apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/clarence-thomas-and-the-billionaire/ar-AA19xpVG  

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Bought and paid for.   The court relies on people having confidence in the court.  That has diminished and will diminish further.  It will be interesting to see what happens next and what else is exposed.   

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Bought and paid for.   The court relies on people having confidence in the court.  That has diminished and will diminish further.  It will be interesting to see what happens next and what else is exposed.   

Yup Thomas started that. All his fault . 

God damn you're an idiot. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, EvilBird said:

Yup Thomas started that. All his fault . 

God damn you're an idiot. 

You’re too dumb to engage in this discussion.  Have a seat :thumbsup:

So when I go on my buds jet and go hang with him at one of his vacation houses am I supose to clam them as some sort of income ? This is the implications right ? Or am I not allowed to have friends with deep pockets ? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Thomas is an asswipe. A big phony trumper. This doesn’t surprise me. Arrogant fuck. 

Fucking uncle tom get him back in the field . House Niger got to big for his britches.  

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Thomas is an asswipe. A big phony trumper. This doesn’t surprise me. Arrogant fuck. 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Fucking uncle tom get him back in the field . House Niger got to big for his britches.  

Spin tits :owned:

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Fucking uncle tom get him back in the field . House Niger got too big for his britches.  

GOP’ers  always bring race into it. Pretty gross on your part. It’s no wonder that the republicans have a bad reputation with blacks 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

So when I go on my buds jet and go hang with him at one of his vacation houses am I supose to clam them as some sort of income ? This is the implications right ? Or am I not allowed to have friends with deep pockets ? 

I believe you cannot accept the gift if you  are a supreme court justice, or most any other government employee.

I did some consulting work for the EPA last year. We visited their facility, and could not take them to dinner and pay for it, they could not 'accept' the value of the dinner. Had to be separate checks. There are very strict rules around gifts for federal employees. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

You don’t understand being a federal employee……try another end around.

26 minutes ago, Catalina said:

I believe you cannot accept the gift if you  are a supreme court justice, or most any other government employee.

I did some consulting work for the EPA last year. We visited their facility, and could not take them to dinner and pay for it, they could not 'accept' the value of the dinner. Had to be separate checks. There are very strict rules around gifts for federal employees. 

Good rational post…thank you.👍🏼

As much as I hate to say this, it could be real trouble for Thomas going forward. He may have gone too far. 

If that is the case, the balance of the court will change again, at least a bit. Seems like an argument for not packing the court, things have a way of balancing themselves out with a bit of patience. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Catalina said:

As much as I hate to say this, it could be real trouble for Thomas going forward. He may have gone too far. 

If that is the case, the balance of the court will change again, at least a bit. Seems like an argument for not packing the court, things have a way of balancing themselves out with a bit of patience. 

Time will tell. 

The chances of him being impeached with a Democrat president are exactly zero.