20% tariff on softwood lumber from Canada

1 minute ago, Ebsell said:

We all know why momo won't give any information about himself on here. It lets him run at the mouth like he does without fear of bumping into one of us someday face to face. That's what cowards do online, easy to be they way he is when no one knows who he is. It's the true definition of a coward  :thumb:

:lies: and :bullshit: from the stupidest Biped on the plant

8 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Shut your momoholster. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

On the plant? Fucking English. Try it sometime 

9 minutes ago, Momorider said:

:lies: and :bullshit: from the stupidest Biped on the planet

7 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Actually they own very little land that they harvest from. The land is leased from the Crown for next to nothing. That's their way of getting around the subsidy thing. At least try to anyways. Don't blame the Americans for being pissed about that one 

I read that from an article in the Globe or Post, I can't remember.  Either way, they must still be logging off a large portion of private lands because the US is hitting them with only a 3% tariff, whereas a softwood company in BC would be upwards of 30%.  There has to be some reasoning why the US picked those numbers.  

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

What else should the govt control the supply and demand of?   Oil?  Electricity? Computers? Beer? Higher Education? Lawn mowers?  

Funny, save the farmers so they don't overproduce but fuck Big oil if they do. :lol:  

I'm still on the fence over our FOOD supply management system myself.  The whole hinging factor is that it ensures a stable system to underpin a quality food supply chain.  If that is opened up, there is greater risk in both quality and reliable, sustainable supply.  Like I said, I'm not sure if the cost outweighs the benefits.  

3 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Hey people are always yapping about farmers and how they are the backbone of the Country, I'm sick of hearing it to. But you can bet if the farmers in any country start to fail the Government of that country will step in and bail them out. At least this way it keeps the taxpayer out of it. 

Ahh, last time I checked pretty much every consumer is also a taxpayer.  Does it really matter which pocket it comes out of?  Increased consumer prices mean less money in my pocket, just like increased taxes. :dunno:  

Where is the incentive to cut or control costs (inflation)?   Where is the incentive to grow and produce more jobs?  I can only assume the price is set by the govt as well both to the farmer and to the consumer?  

Incentive for efficiency is still there.  You have a fixed price for you product, so the only way to increase margins is to control your costs.  

3 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Hey who knows what the real right answer is. For the most part everyone has an opinion of what works and what don't. But I do agree Canadas lumber industry is definitely not fair trade. The Government says they don't subsidize the lumber industry but yet they practically give crown land to the Irvings to cut and produce into lumber. That's a sneaky way of cheating free trade 

So, what are the numbers that they are "giving it away" to Irving?  The rest of the country holds auctions where the private companies competitively bid on the logging rights for a particular area.  The US's beef seems to be with this, not whatever "deal" Irving has worked out in NB.  Your statement doesn't make sense and was scrutinized in the last round of the free trade dispute.  Which, Canadian producers had a favorable ruling in.  

moose river lumber jackman me says they will expand. more drying capacity and a 2th shift. they think the tariff is going to help them. they are owned by pleasant river lumber with another sp fir stud mill in dover and 2 pine mills   

18 hours ago, Ebsell said:

The price of milk is high enough to make a decent profit. To grow the buisness they buy more quota from when another farmer sells out.its been working very well in Canada for years 

good for the farmer but not good for the consumer-  which is more important?  Quotas certainly help the quota owner  I know a guy who just got picked in the lottery for maple taps in QC and that will pretty much fund his retirement as he will be able to grow the tap count going forward but where does it benefit the consumer.  

1 hour ago, snowstorm said:

moose river lumber jackman me says they will expand. more drying capacity and a 2th shift. they think the tariff is going to help them. they are owned by pleasant river lumber with another sp fir stud mill in dover and 2 pine mills   

must drive them nuts to watch the trucks drive by all day with dimensional from the mills across the border.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

good for the farmer but not good for the consumer-  which is more important?  Quotas certainly help the quota owner  I know a guy who just got picked in the lottery for maple taps in QC and that will pretty much fund his retirement as he will be able to grow the tap count going forward but where does it benefit the consumer.  

For the amount it costs me in the run of a week I'm willing to pay it. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

For the amount it costs me in the run of a week I'm willing to pay it. 

Another problem I see is it leads to the govt choosing winners and losers.   Oh you gave to this party's campaign?   Here's your quota.  

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, snowstorm said:

It's good news for all of Maine. Good fellas at Moose and Pleasant River, good for them. Trucks were rolling right by there all day with Canadian Lumber. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Another problem I see is it leads to the govt choosing winners and losers.   Oh you gave to this party's campaign?   Here's your quota.  

Thats it fucking scam, oh and Lobster Fucker is the stupidest FUCK on the planet :guzzle:

There is not a Dairy Farmer I have ever met that don't approve of the system they have. So it must be working for them. 

Just now, Ebsell said:

There is not a Dairy Farmer I have ever met that don't approve of the system they have. So it must be working for them. 

Sure, they are the ones "chosen" for the quotas.  I've never seen an American farmer who was against our crop insurance program that basically guarantees them income either.   Sure wish my business was backed by a govt guarantee of income.  :lmao:

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Sure, they are the ones "chosen" for the quotas.  I've never seen an American farmer who was against our crop insurance program that basically guarantees them income either.   Sure wish my business was backed by a govt guarantee of income.  :lmao:

The quota I believe is controlled by the Milk marketing board. A group of people voted in by the farmers 

1 minute ago, Ebsell said:

The quota I believe is controlled by the Milk marketing board. A group of people voted in by the farmers 

Of course it is.   No chance for back scratching going on there. :lol:  Sounds like a perfect good ol boys club.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Of course it is.   No chance for back scratching going on there. :lol:  Sounds like a perfect good ol boys club.  

Like I said. I have never heard even one farmer who don't like it. So they must keep it under control 

Just now, Ebsell said:

Like I said. I have never heard even one farmer who don't like it. So they must keep it under control 

And like I said I can see why they do like it.  They have been chosen by people they put in charge to be successful.   Whats not to like about that.   A money making business with little to no risk.  

20 hours ago, Ebsell said:

well of course they like it,  it's to their benefit not the consumers and if they can wring out any cost savings they can pocket it and not have to pass it along in the form of cheaper product.  

21 hours ago, Ebsell said:

It's a catch 22 now. Quotas raised prices so the producers can remain stable. BUT now they're paying crazy prices just to pick up retiring producers quotas. Unreal amounts of money for nothing tangible. If the quota were to disappear now it would cause a lot of pain. There would have to be a payout