Suzuki Twin 1056 Vs Yamaha Triple 998

Now that I got a nice little trail blaster/backup/sled friends can use in my Rush, I have a few options for my main. Im lookin at 18+ 850 ETECS, and any 2013-2020 1056 or 998 Turbo. I get its not the greatest thing out there anymore but like my Quadzilla 500R and 70MPH Baja, I like big power.

How much power will a 1056 handle reliably in stock form? How much HP would it require to beat a stock 998? 220? 240? 

I really like the 18+ Winder 137, but would consider a taken care of 1056 Turbo with a 137. Not diggin the 129 I hear its just not enough meat, which is why the SRX/Thundercat only come in a 137. This thread isn't to start a pissing match, 100% not my intention, I'm a big fan of Suzuki and Yamaha engines. Just looking for honest input, how fast a 260HP 1056 Turbo is compared to the field, and what years have the best clutching. I think in 16 they went to boss clutches? Feel free to spit fire in this general forum, but I am looking for legit answers and experience. I might spend 10k,I might spend 5k. 

Screenshot_20230330-161608_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230330-161618_Facebook.jpg

Peanuts. Seems your precious thread stating values didn't share the real story.  Those aren't worth dick either.

That being said, I'd go zuke and big boost and enjoy it.  The small chassis changes don't account for any added value imo

I have owned the Suzuki in a z1 turbo.  Great motor.  I boosted mine up.  I remember hearing when the Yamaha came out that it took a mild flash in a Suzuki to keep up with a stock Yamaha?  True?? I don't know.  I've heard the Suzukis are better when you start throwing big time power at them but I think for trail power levels either are ok.

If I was going to buy one today I'd go with the Yamaha just because I haven't had one yet, and you get the new body work and all the other improvements that came with time on the procross.  If I was going to do the Suzuki again I'd just get another twin spar.  I feel that was a great package where the engine matched that chassis very well and way more bulletproof than the procross.  I have rode a procross Suzuki turbo and I liked my z1 over it personally.  I had the 08 limited and had it pretty blacked out and it looked badass and it was warm and comfortable as hell and ripped.  And it handled very well.

I think the Yamaha sounds better.

998 is much better on pump fuel. Throttle response down low is where you notice it the most. The suzuki likes the turbo spooled up, but once it's spooled it's fun...998 is always right there with almost zero lag.  I noticed the 2017's and Thundercats starting to come down in price. 

So there are a few videos on these machines.
Apparently 2015 was the year they really tweaked the panels to allow the clutching proper airflow, and they updated the secondary.
Now I see why alot of folks with 2012-2014 removed screens, added Frogskins and modified the front panels to allow as much airflow as possible to keep the belt system below or around a certain temperature.

So 15 and 16 look like the better years for the 1056.
As far as the 998, I was told to stay away from the 2017.
This is reflected in marketplace, 17's seem to sell for much less then anything 2018 and newer.

• Gold Member

My bud has both 12 and 20 and a new winder on order. The 240 tuned 1100 won’t beat his stock winder. We’ve raced them numerous times but the winder is always ahead., 1100 has a 129 1.75 lug, winder has a 137 length not sure lug height. I rode the backup cat for two seasons when I was sledless and switched off bunch of times over the years it’s a fun sled but I’d take the winder any day over the 1100 much more enjoyable ride and I prefer the power curve of the winder. 

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

So there are a few videos on these machines.
Apparently 2015 was the year they really tweaked the panels to allow the clutching proper airflow, and they updated the secondary.
Now I see why alot of folks with 2012-2014 removed screens, added Frogskins and modified the front panels to allow as much airflow as possible to keep the belt system below or around a certain temperature.

So 15 and 16 look like the better years for the 1056.
As far as the 998, I was told to stay away from the 2017.
This is reflected in marketplace, 17's seem to sell for much less then anything 2018 and newer.

Not sure why you'd need to avoid the 17s. I have around 8k on mine now-about half of those have been with a 260 hp tune- outside of the driveshaft needing to be replaced twice due to wear on the brake side, but that is a common problem on any given procross.

On any 998 I would do a rollover valve delete, DMC top gear and brass shift pads, oil tank gasket,  and a solid state starter relay.  A lot of the used sleds probably already have these done. Newer body panels and newer headlight are way better than the zuk versions...add in much better overall performance, lack of turbo lag, and superior sound, to me the 998 is the obvious choice.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Premium said:

Not sure why you'd need to avoid the 17s. I have around 8k on mine now-about half of those have been with a 260 hp tune- outside of the driveshaft needing to be replaced twice due to wear on the brake side, 

I've heard from a few places that there were a few important updates/tweaks done to the 2018s.  Think I read about it in a review but this is the first time Ive really looked into it myself.

Appreciate the advice and comments folks, much appreciated.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

I've heard from a few places that there were a few important updates/tweaks done to the 2018s.  Think I read about it in a review but this is the first time Ive really looked into it myself.

Appreciate the advice and comments folks, much appreciated.

Yeah I really think there were few if any even minor changes between 2017 and 2018 998 turbos. So if you can get 17s cheaper for some reason I wouldn't hesitate.  The 17 9000s got all the bells and whistles the rest of the lineup didn't see until 2018.  You'll have to jump to 2019 to get one with ATAC (formerly iACT) and 2020 for the ARS2 front suspension, then 2022 for power steering.

Edited by Premium

Appreciate the advice folks.
Seeing alot of happy folks running slingshot tunes, aftermarket quiet muffler on stock clutches and getting a happy 210ish HP.
Apparently 240HP is enough to run with a stock Sidewinder, but having a 137 track is very important. 
What I am looking to get is a 2015/16 with a 137, running a 240-260 slingshot tune, with maybe another tweak here or there.

That's all I did.  Tune, exhaust, stock clutching.  Yes you can do more but after that I don't see the point unless you're racing.  That is more than enough to get your rocks off and blow away your buddies and all other trail sleds.  

• Like 1