Midwest off trail sled

37 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Yeah I get it.  But with my personality I wouldn't be happy with the trail riding for the one part of the day.  And if the offtrail on the way home was fun terrain I'd also be wishing I was on something better suited.  I would just know it could be way better.  It's hard to unsee something.

Even if the crossover is 80% as good on the trail and 80% as good off the trail.  That sounds pretty good but if you like to push those limits on dedicated machines, 80% sucks.

Yeah I agree, I'm not willing to give up any trail performance. Off trail I'm not as hard-core, i mainly want low speed maneuvering without as many times getting stuck so 2 sleds is the plan 

You guys should really ride that assault instead of blaming the ones riding it.  I am all for dedicated sleds but you are all selling it really short.  That being said for the OP id build a 155 and either have an assault or 137 to go with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mnstang said:

I agree.  If I could only have one sled id just have to stop trail riding or off trail riding.  

I thought for a couple seconds about ordering a riot and then I remembered every moment of riding it would always be compromised, it would not be epically good at anything.  It's like the guys with the crossovers, even if they can go places and not get stuck, that's not a win on its own.  its not going to work nearly as good as a deep snow sled.  Just like the deep snow sled CAN go down the trail, it's not going to work like a trail sled.  And a crossover is like that all the time and there's never a pay off because it's all compromise.

Yup. Totally agree. 

While up to my in laws place, a month ago, our friends/neighbors up there asked me if I wanted to go on a “guys ride” later in the afternoon that day. I agreed. I’m riding with two Assaults. One 850 with a 1.6 cobra and the other was. Boost with a 2”. Fourth sled was a Riot 146, didn’t even pay attention to the track. I had my 129 Indy that has a Rip2 on it. We end up back in these gas well areas where there’s some hills, only about 20-30” of snow. None of these yahoos could hardly pull a line and all they are doing is running up and down the hills. Even had a couple of them stuck. I didn’t have a problem and spent a lot of my time on my seat because it was so lame. They kept saying to me “show off” and “when are you going to take us UP back country riding to show us what’s up?” Yeah, um, like never? If you’re struggling in less than 3’ of snow, in the open, and you’ve been riding all your life, you need to just stick to trail riding then. Off trail riding is in fact more than just how much track or ski stance you have. These guys were logging road only guys. Which is fine if that’s what you want to do but it’s not what I drag my SKS to the UP for. 

15 hours ago, Deephaven said:

You guys should really ride that assault instead of blaming the ones riding it.  I am all for dedicated sleds but you are all selling it really short.  That being said for the OP id build a 155 and either have an assault or 137 to go with it.

I’ve had two. Even spent a bunch of time trying to make the first one into a mini RMK (SKS 146) Still not going back. They are not great on the trail and they are mainly a logging road sled off trail. Get them in the trees, gulleys, etc, and you’re fucked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’ve had two. Even spent a bunch of time trying to make the first one into a mini RMK (SKS 146) Still not going back. They are not great on the trail and they are mainly a logging road sled off trail. Get them in the trees, gulleys, etc, and you’re fucked. 

If you reread you will see that I said they were selling short for on trail, not off.  Not a deep play sled at all but an Assault for trail and a longer track for having fun in real snow I could see making sense.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

If you reread you will see that I said they were selling short for on trail, not off.  Not a deep play sled at all but an Assault for trail and a longer track for having fun in real snow I could see making sense.

We are talking about dual use sleds in deep off trail and trail riding. You said we were selling them short without being specific at where we were doing so. So, my post stands. 

Tipped up rails or not the only place an Assualt is better than a 129-137 on trail is putting power down in the straightaways. Total waste of time imo. 

The amount of people in Michigan that I see riding a 155 on the trails (like legitimately all day trail riding) and guys trying to play in the deep back woods shit on 144 class sleds, is astounding. I’d rather not ride before I’d ever take my Indy off trail or my SKS trail riding.