The US has a new favorite dog breed – and it’s not the Labrador Retriever

33 minutes ago, soeaster said:

Both kids and the wife and I spent the day with Finn until the appointment time came. Then we all piled into the van and took him, together. Everyone put their busy lives aside to be with him in the end, as. it should be.

That must have been hard bud. For me we have to drive 2 hours to the vet to put our pets down. My first drive was with my BIL's Golden named Buck. Then in my early 30's I took my first Black Lab Fletch down and it shook me right to the core. I walked out of the examining room crying like a baby to a waiting room full of people, and then bawled my eyes out for the 2 hour ride home. Repeat with another buddies dog when he was away at work,another lab of mine Abby,wife's collie Logger and cat Stinky and I said enough.

But as @steve from amherst said, the silence got to us, took a few years but back in the saddle and happy again.

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, HSR said:

That must have been hard bud. For me we have to drive 2 hours to the vet to put our pets down. My first drive was with my BIL's Golden named Buck. Then in my early 30's I took my first Black Lab Fletch down and it shook me right to the core. I walked out of the examining room crying like a baby to a waiting room full of people, and then bawled my eyes out for the 2 hour ride home. Repeat with another buddies dog when he was away at work,another lab of mine Abby,wife's collie Logger and cat Stinky and I said enough.

But as @steve from amherst said, the silence got to us, took a few years but back in the saddle and happy again.

It was still awful, but I certainly don't have to tell you that. There have been too many cats, dogs, and horses over the years. They are worth it though. Our regular vet was out of town so we had to scramble and find another one who was able to do it. They took good care of us though and we didn't have to walk through the waiting room. Pretty quiet ride home.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Spent 10k on mine to get him only a couple more years....worth every penny 

Yup...about the same for us. Developed a blood disorder where the red blood cells were attacking themselves. Had the option to put her down or go with expensive blood transfusions and long periods of steroid treatments.  My dogs are part of family and I will do whatever I can to prolong their life as long as they are not suffering. We got a little more than 2 years with her after this treatment. Would do it again with any of my dogs. She was around 12 when she passed.....still a long ways off of a Pug we had that almost made it to 19.....just 2 months short. 

• Like 1

Swore I would never own a little dog.  Hated little dogs, but after Boxer died it was either compromise and get little dog or nothing.  
Holy shit, this dog is completely insane with personality, energy, and intelligence.  Waiting at door for me to come home and never leaves my side.  
My daughter bought her this white claw toy because she thought it was funny.  When people come over to have drinks dog will dig it out of a big bucket of toys. Sits with everyone holding on to her white claw.  Funny as hell,  people think we trained her to do it. 

0DA816D1-4B41-4F9C-A16A-CF2720573579.jpeg

0404EDAE-1003-4A8C-B362-369A8FC6021E.jpeg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

I wouldn't trade any of my rescue dogs for anything from a breeder, rescue mix breeds are the best

20230308_125221.jpg

I looked into it first (rescues) and holy shit up here it was MORE difficult than getting a pedigreed dog.Apply, sit on the list,get interviewed on and on and likely get turned down. Also most seem to be Rez dogs. Basically what you see below :lol: 

Screenshot_20230316_133438_Facebook.jpg

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

Swore I would never own a little dog.  Hated little dogs, but after Boxer died it was either compromise and get little dog or nothing.  
Holy shit, this dog is completely insane with personality, energy, and intelligence.  Waiting at door for me to come home and never leaves my side.  
My daughter bought her this white claw toy because she thought it was funny.  When people come over to have drinks dog will dig it out of a big bucket of toys. Sits with everyone holding on to her white claw.  Funny as hell,  people think we trained her to do it. 

0DA816D1-4B41-4F9C-A16A-CF2720573579.jpeg

0404EDAE-1003-4A8C-B362-369A8FC6021E.jpeg

Boxers are great dogs...I will always remember Burton..

20180503_210433.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

Boxers are great dogs...I will always remember Burton..

20180503_210433.jpg

Great with kids.  Smart & loyal.

Broke my heart when our last boxer died.  I held her in my arms when she died and took her last breath.  only dog we had that died at home.  Still made it out to pee on her own a hour before she died. 

D894563E-264A-43E8-8DAA-3ADEB9858446.jpeg

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, HSR said:

I looked into it first (rescues) and holy shit up here it was MORE difficult than getting a pedigreed dog.Apply, sit on the list,get interviewed on and on and likely get turned down. Also most seem to be Rez dogs. Basically what you see below :lol: 

find a different rescue, the one we deal with rehomes 10k puppies a year from high kill shelters from  down south. one of our dogs came from Georgia and the other two from Alabama

15 hours ago, HSR said:

I tried to adopt a Doberman from a rescue a few years back. I gave them my full resume including my FBI background check and vets name and experience with the breed. They turned me down because I worked full time despite being home for lunch everyday. I suspect that they were keeping a high census for funding. It’s was a total waste of time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

find a different rescue, the one we deal with rehomes 10k puppies a year from high kill shelters from  down south. one of our dogs came from Georgia and the other two from Alabama

One of mine is from Alabama, the other from Arkansas . Both aRE so greatful

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I tried to adopt a Doberman from a rescue a few years back. I gave them my full resume including my FBI background check and vets name and experience with the breed. They turned me down because I worked full time despite being home for lunch everyday. I suspect that they were keeping a high census for funding. It’s was a total waste of time. 

A few yrs ago was the begining of covid. Everyone wanted a dog and now 1/4 of them are back in shelters.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

A few yrs ago was the begining of covid. Everyone wanted a dog and now 1/4 of them are back in shelters.

and those fuckers should get smacked right in the head for doing that shit, dogs are a lifetime  commitment and are family

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

and those fuckers should get smacked right in the head for doing that shit, dogs are a lifetime  commitment and are family

The one from Alabama is a chok lab/ pitty mix. She was adopted and returned as she was " too much work" 

Apparently the first adopter didnt realize you have to feed and play with a dog to exercise them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

The one from Alabama is a chok lab/ pitty mix. She was adopted and returned as she was " too much work" 

Apparently the first adopter didnt realize you have to feed and play with a dog to exercise them. 

all of ours exercise themselves as they fucking play all day long, they have a dog door and fenced in area and can come and go as they please, some pretty spoiled bitches I have

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 1