The US has a new favorite dog breed – and it’s not the Labrador Retriever

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Snake said:

3, all left by my daughters.

And they shit outside.

My cat refuses to shit indoors unless we are gone for the weekend. So pretty much twice a yr. Aside from that he goes outside, even in a blizzard.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I love my dog a lot but I wouldn’t she’ll out 4K one time to keep him alive for another year or whatever 

At some point people are keeping him alive for themselves, not the dog, sad really.

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

No such thing as a plain old mutt available that is free or a reasonable price any more. Now they are all designer dogs. People selling them are asking crazy high prices, and stupid people are buying them up as if they were candy. Without a doubt, the general population is getting dumber and dumber, by the fukking hour.

this

50 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Never had a dobe  make it past 8 yrs. I think one of our boxers made it 9 yrs.  That’s about it.  Tough losing a good dog.  

I got my first dobe in 1988. She lived to be 15. The second went just shy of 12yo.  Ever since it’s been a significant decline in their longevity. The group that I’ve gotten involved is hoping to reverse this trend. 

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

I love my dog a lot but I wouldn’t she’ll out 4K one time to keep him alive for another year or whatever 

Spent 10k on mine to get him only a couple more years....worth every penny 

6 hours ago, Cold War said:

The french bulldog is very conducive to a sedentary American lifestyle. 

Too expensive.  I can’t believe how much  dogs cost now.  We were looking at Them before we settled on a much cheaper Boston.  Damn dog is wound like a spring.  

6k . I about shit when she told me 

Screenshot_20230315_180432_Messages.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Spent 10k on mine to get him only a couple more years....worth every penny 

I've seen commercials up here for PetSecure and Trupanion , both of which offer medical insurance for your pets. I laughed at first but then thought about how much some friends have had to spend and did so without batting an eye, as would I. 

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

I've seen commercials up here for PetSecure and Trupanion , both of which offer medical insurance for your pets. I laughed at first but then thought about how much some friends have had to spend and did so without batting an eye, as would I. 

I got it for the new dog . Mostly because they are knowen for hip issues and eating shit they should not . Not that much $ like 43 bucks a mo with 100 buck a visit copay 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Losing my dobe this month was gut wrenching. I’ve never had that kind of connection with a dog. She’d been to several institutions and prisons with me and always put a smile on everyone’s face while there. She was a friend, coworker, and companion. She never made it to 8 years old. I really thought I’d have more time. My lab is a great dog, but he doesn’t have that large personality. 

Aw man sorry to hear that.  She was a beautiful dog.  I'm done though with animals after this last 15 year old cat goes.  I love having them around, but they can destroy a house if you let them take over.  We had 3 dogs and 2 cats at one point.  Never again.  

We'll be a month out after having to put our golden down. Still have "the wife's dog" roaming around but she'll be 15 soon. Really empty without Finnegan though. That being said, definitely not ready to try and replace him. It's crazy how many pics I've found of him!

IMG_0971.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

The last cat I had to put down was brought to the house in 2001.

Never had an illness or had to go to the vet.

One before him threw a blood clot and paralyzed his rear legs. Not a fucking thing on the planet as sad as watching an animal trying to walk, just dragging himself across the floor. I held him for over 3 hours till we got to the vet just so I wouldn't have to ever see that again.

One before that was a orange cat, got sick and died at 5.

I hate it when they die. Don't know what I'll do when these 3 are gone.... hope it's another 16 years...

• Sad 1

I just had to put my cat down. She had cancer and it was time. Absolutely hated to do it but I didn’t want to be the one to let things go to far. Couldn’t believe how emotional I got 

• Sad 1

Our 15 year old lab Maggie had what we think was a stroke 2 weeks ago. I made the appointment to put her to sleep. The next day she was back up begging for food, walking around and going out on her own to poop and pee. Now we can barely tell but we know it's coming soon. Pretty thankful for some more time with her.

20230226_135439.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, soeaster said:

We'll be a month out after having to put our golden down. Still have "the wife's dog" roaming around but she'll be 15 soon. Really empty without Finnegan though. That being said, definitely not ready to try and replace him. It's crazy how many pics I've found of him!

IMG_0971.JPG

My wife posted a fuck load on FB  bacon had some stupid amout of friends has for yrs so every time I go to her computer somthing pops on a dogs FB page memories 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I just had to put my cat down. She had cancer and it was time. Absolutely hated to do it but I didn’t want to be the one to let things go to far. Couldn’t believe how emotional I got 

I've done the majority of the going in for the deed.

About the only thing that feels right to do is look them in the eye and continually tell them how much you love them till the doc says it is over. Then blubber like a little girl.

• Like 2

I had 2 cats for 19 years both were trouble free health wise but in the end they declined quickly. Just rescued this guy back in September. Best $350 I’ve ever spent. I swear he’s part human. Total ham lol! My girlfriend and daughter are the ones who dress him up. 

63172FBD-7F48-480C-B95F-5DDB46656F45.jpeg

DFFC2C8B-4993-4DDC-85DF-2766E955F655.jpeg

B40D9336-5FB2-4A0D-A3AA-E4FCE2EE6312.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

I've done the majority of the going in for the deed.

About the only thing that feels right to do is look them in the eye and continually tell them how much you love them till the doc says it is over. Then blubber like a little girl.

Both kids and the wife and I spent the day with Finn until the appointment time came. Then we all piled into the van and took him, together. Everyone put their busy lives aside to be with him in the end, as. it should be.

• Like 3