The US has a new favorite dog breed – and it’s not the Labrador Retriever

• Platinum Contributing Member

For the first time in 31 years, the Labrador Retriever has been unseated as the most popular dog breed in the US, according to the American Kennel Club’s 2022 registration statistics. In its place sits the cute and compact French Bulldog.

The French Bulldog has been steadily climbing the AKC’s rankings over the last decades, hitting No. 14 in 2012. In 2021, the breed held the No. 2 spot, behind the popular labs but ahead of Golden Retrievers.

The french bulldog is very conducive to a sedentary American lifestyle. 

Too expensive.  I can’t believe how much  dogs cost now.  We were looking at Them before we settled on a much cheaper Boston.  Damn dog is wound like a spring.  

Just now, Cold War said:

Too expensive.  I can’t believe how much  dogs cost now.  We were looking at Them before we settled on a much cheaper Boston.  Damn dog is wound like a spring.  

Started asking my friend questions about them after he got one. Told me he got a good deal on his....$3000  :wtf: 

Just now, Snake said:

My brother had a dog that at the end of it's life he was shelling out over $4k a month to keep it going.

How many cats you got?

• Haha 1

Just now, Skidooski said:

Started asking my friend questions about them after he got one. Told me he got a good deal on his....$3000  :wtf: 

Yeah, that is good deal.  Lot of health problems and maintenance too , I heard.  They are so expensive due to being having to be delivered c section. :dunno:

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Snake said:

As a rule I don't mind dogs, but I will be damned if I am going to walk around with a baggie in my hand and pick up a warm piece of shit to take home like a prize.

Yup, ours was a free range pooper as I called it never picked up nothing. I don’t think I’d have a dog if I had to pick it’s shit up everyday.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Yup, ours was a free range pooper as I called it never picked up nothing. I don’t think I’d have a dog if I had to pick it’s shit up everyday.

Teach em to shit in the woods. Saw a guy last summer with a dog on a leash shitting on the front lawn. What the fuck was the leash for , he could have done that on his own.

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Teach em to shit in the woods. Saw a guy last summer with a dog on a leash shitting on the front lawn. What the fuck was the leash for , he could have done that on his own.

She will shit in woods when its nice out.  If not I just flick it out in the woods.  Never bagged a poop in my life. 

36 minutes ago, Snake said:

My brother had a dog that at the end of it's life he was shelling out over $4k a month to keep it going.

I love my dog a lot but I wouldn’t she’ll out 4K one time to keep him alive for another year or whatever 

• Like 1

No such thing as a plain old mutt available that is free or a reasonable price any more. Now they are all designer dogs. People selling them are asking crazy high prices, and stupid people are buying them up as if they were candy. Without a doubt, the general population is getting dumber and dumber, by the fukking hour.

56 minutes ago, Cold War said:

They are pretty quiet dogs. Well behaved too. I couldn’t have a dog that sleeps all day. My favorite is still a Doberman. Huge personality, lots of energy, and total loyalty. 

19 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I love my dog a lot but I wouldn’t she’ll out 4K one time to keep him alive for another year or whatever 

I find that to be cruel to a dog. Some people just don’t know when to let go. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I find that to be cruel to a dog. Some people just don’t know when to let go. 

Mine is turning 10 this year , I’m not looking forward to when the time comes to let him go. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Mine is turning 10 this year , I’m not looking forward to when the time comes to let him go. 

Losing my dobe this month was gut wrenching. I’ve never had that kind of connection with a dog. She’d been to several institutions and prisons with me and always put a smile on everyone’s face while there. She was a friend, coworker, and companion. She never made it to 8 years old. I really thought I’d have more time. My lab is a great dog, but he doesn’t have that large personality. 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Who picks up their shit? That’s silly. 

If you're in a public space you should be picking it up. Just like if my neighbor is walking his dog and it shit's on my lawn, he better be picking it up or I'll fling it back across the street at his house  :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

If you're in a public space you should be picking it up. Just like if my neighbor is walking his dog and it shit's on my lawn, he better be picking it up or I'll fling it back across the street at his house  :lol:

I was just kidding. Although there was this crabby bastard in the neighborhood I lived. Late nights walk would sometimes have a pile on his lawn. :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Losing my dobe this month was gut wrenching. I’ve never had that kind of connection with a dog. She’d been to several institutions and prisons with me and always put a smile on everyone’s face while there. She was a friend, coworker, and companion. She never made it to 8 years old. I really thought I’d have more time. My lab is a great dog, but he doesn’t have that large personality. 

Yup , sucks. Not sure I’ll get another one 

28 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

They are pretty quiet dogs. Well behaved too. I couldn’t have a dog that sleeps all day. My favorite is still a Doberman. Huge personality, lots of energy, and total loyalty. 

Always had dobermans growing up.  I agree completely.  Had 3 boxers before we got our little dog.  The first one was a bull headed  retard,  the two after that were amazing dogs.  

30 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Never had a dobe  make it past 8 yrs. I think one of our boxers made it 9 yrs.  That’s about it.  Tough losing a good dog.