Luxury home sales plunge 45%, with Miami and the Hamptons hit hardest

• Platinum Contributing Member

The U.S. housing market is taking a hard hit from higher mortgage rates, and luxury home sales are seeing the worst of it.

Sales of luxury homes dropped 45% during the three months ended Jan. 31 compared with the same period the year before, according to Redfin, a real estate brokerage. Redfin defines luxury homes as those estimated to be in the top 5% based on the estimated market value. Sales of non-luxury homes were down about 38% during that period.

Miami, which had seen a massive influx of wealthy buyers migrating from the Northeast in the earlier days of the Covid pandemic, saw sales drop nearly 69%. That was followed by the Nassau County-Suffolk County region on New York’s Long Island, home to the Hamptons – down nearly 63%. Some of the priciest California markets also saw big drops in sales because they, too, experienced big pandemic sales.

While not all luxury buyers use mortgages, they are affected by the broader economy, and more specifically the stock market. Volatility in financial markets is therefore having an outsized effect on the luxury real estate market

People growing up watching Miami vice got down there and were like ,  what?!! this is a shithole.  :lol:

Even where Trump lives. The houses are beautiful and massive, but who would want to live in that area. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

I got a great deal on a country home. Some excellent deals for cash buyers 

Do you really believe you got a great deal because you have cash? I can see accepting a marginally better cash offer, but most buyers get pre-qualified these days. As a seller I don't care who funds the loan...you vs the bank. 

Inventory is super low, nobody is giving their shit away because you showed up. 

My neighbor just sold his home in a weekend...30 people showed at the open house. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Do you really believe you got a great deal because you have cash? I can see accepting a marginally better cash offer, but most buyers get pre-qualified these days. As a seller I don't care who funds the loan...you vs the bank. 

My neighbor just sold his home in a weekend...30 people showed at the open house. 

Is your market the same as Utah? 

5 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Maybe it's an old grow op house.

4 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

um, I got a deal because I don’t need to finance at 7%. How did you ever get to your station in life with deductive reasoning like that?

4 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I've been to utah...no thanks.

Inventory nationally is still historically low. 

Not the question :lol: So you’ve been to Utah and now you’re expert on their housing market :news:

20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

um, I got a deal because I don’t need to finance at 7%. How did you ever get to your station in life with deductive reasoning like that?

So you got a "deal" because you didn't pay the vig to the bank...the seller got asking price or close.

That deal isn't how you presented it earlier....you asserted that you bought it cheap because you have cash. 

You're a funcking fraud...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

So you got a "deal" because you didn't pay the vig to the bank...the seller got asking price or close.

That deal isn't how you presented it earlier....you asserted that you bought it cheap because you have cash. 

That’s rich coming from a fucking moron who gets gut hooked by Tucker :lol: 

44 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Did you buy in Utah?  We have been out there the last 2 years. Incredible state.  I've considered southern Utah, St George area.

1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

Your small mind jumped a conclusion that what wrong. That somehow equates me being a fraud? My god you’re a piece of work. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Your small mind jumped a conclusion that what wrong. That somehow equates me being a fraud? My god you’re a piece of work. :lol: 

Please...everyone can see what you wrote. You thought you were the big swinging dick, but as it turns out. You're just a big dick. (And a fraud)

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Did you buy in Utah?  We have been out there the last 2 years. Incredible state.  I've considered southern Utah, St George area.

Panguitch area. It’s 4 hours southwest of Moab. 2 hours from St George. There’s not much in the St George. 1000 square foot for $400-500k near St George. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cold War said:

People growing up watching Miami vice got down there and were like ,  what?!! this is a shithole.  :lol:

Even where Trump lives. The houses are beautiful and massive, but who would want to live in that area. 

I couldn’t deal with the heat and humidity during the summer. Anything across the southeast over to Texas is unlivable in the summer. Fuck that. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I couldn’t deal with the heat and humidity during the summer. Anything across the southeast over to Texas is unlivable in the summer. Fuck that. 

No different than winters up here. People stay inside.  Ideally if you could swing it.  Summer up north and winter in the south.  Northern Michigan is the best weather in the summer. Southern Florida is great in the wintertime. 

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

No different than winters up here. People stay inside.  Ideally if you could swing it.  Summer up north and winter in the south.  Northern Michigan is the best weather in the summer. Southern Florida is great in the wintertime. 

Those places are amazing in the winter. There’s a little mom and pop place down in the Keys that make winter the furthest thing from your mind. As much as I bitched about winter, I really would miss 4 actual seasons.