Wills and trusts

• Platinum Contributing Member

Planning on updating my estate planning with many things going into a trust from just passed on thru a will.  My attorney or some specializing in this will handle it and I expect it will be 5-10k when all done.

I wouldn't take advice from anybody here. You should consult with a lawyer who specializes in it and have them explain things to you then you can decide what is best for you. 

• Thanks 3

I just got done with a year long ordeal dealing with my parents estate.  I would start by saying the state the assets are in as far as property will dictate which is better a will or trust.  In Mass a trust works pretty well as long as all parties agree but in CT a will is more effective dealing with probate.  

• Like 1

We did our wills about 3-4 years ago and it was a cheap piece of mind. My brother passed away without a will and it was a fkn nightmare with probate . The fkrs questioned every receipt etc etc and I made sure I kept everything in a folder.

12 hours ago, Anler said:

I wouldn't take advice from anybody here. You should consult with a lawyer who specializes in it and have them explain things to you then you can decide what is best for you. 

Not only that even after you have everything written up you should have it looked over by a second lawyer. There are potholes and land mines in the details.

12 hours ago, Anler said:

This. Laws vary from state to state, you should find a seminar or two offered by an estate lawyer. Get information, free dinner, and a chance to ask questions. Go to two or three, it will help you pick the right firm to work with. 

My father had a trust in place when he died two years ago. I was able to sell his car, his condo, and send checks to my brothers and sisters in about six months. No way it happens that quick with just a will, because of probate. 

But - As I said, laws vary between states, every situation is different. 

32 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Everything is going to the Hari Krishna’s

:dunno: I thought you would be leaving everything to the Democratic Party, They're always looking for donations............... :lolz:

:bc:

• Haha 1

The only trust I was considering was a discretionary one, however rules and tax laws changed to make that a no-go.

So take the advice to talk to a professional that deals with estate planning to find what is best for you.

2 hours ago, Catalina said:

This. Laws vary from state to state, you should find a seminar or two offered by an estate lawyer. Get information, free dinner, and a chance to ask questions. Go to two or three, it will help you pick the right firm to work with. 

My father had a trust in place when he died two years ago. I was able to sell his car, his condo, and send checks to my brothers and sisters in about six months. No way it happens that quick with just a will, because of probate. 

But - As I said, laws vary between states, every situation is different. 

There are other way to bypass probate by using separate wills or having joint accounts.  But yes its not normally a DIY task.

Best to get all your shit in your kids names now don't wait . Think look back is going to be 10yrs soon if not already . If you don't want all the power going to the kids buy a property with all of you in on it . Nursing homes will eat your house and cash up fast fast then when it is gone let you die . 

38 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Best to get all your shit in your kids names now don't wait . Think look back is going to be 10yrs soon if not already . If you don't want all the power going to the kids buy a property with all of you in on it . Nursing homes will eat your house and cash up fast fast then when it is gone let you die . 

No way I'll ever step foot in one of those wealth extracting shit holes. When/if that time comes I'll be doing something fun like skydiving without a parachute. :lmao:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snoughnut said:

No way I'll ever step foot in one of those wealth extracting shit holes. When/if that time comes I'll be doing something fun like skydiving without a parachute. :lmao:

My father in law was in an assisted living facility until his heart started to go and then he was moved to a skilled nursing care facility. He suffered from dementia and we lost the ability to care for him. My wife-his daughter, became a target of his aggression. We’d stop by a few times a week to visit. He was treated very good and eventually died in peace with us at his side. There’s a lot of good skilled nursing homes. 

Edited by spin_dry

On 3/7/2023 at 3:26 PM, steve from amherst said:

Anyone know anything about hiring an atty for this shit?

Is it complicated , expensive?

We had ours done about 2 years ago....all attorneys will use a template they have used a million times. The biggest piece of advice I can give is to decide on executors, beneficiaries, constraints etc BEFORE you are on the attorneys clock. 

In most cases a will is all you need...depends on your net worth.  

SkisNH

4 hours ago, snoughnut said:

We all say that but lots of people end up in them because there mind went way faster than they planned or they have a stroke and can't even reach the jug of pills 

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My father in law was in an assisted living facility until his heart started to go and then he was moved to a skilled nursing care facility. He suffered from dementia and we lost the ability to care for him. My wife-his daughter, became a target of his aggression. We’d stop by a few times a week to visit. He was treated very good and eventually died in peace with us at his side. There’s a lot of good skilled nursing homes. 

And they still stuff hard candy in there mouth when you are not there to keep them alive and keep the checks rolling long after they forget how to swallow .

There is a reason they don't stop building new ones €$$$$$$$$

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

And they still stuff hard candy in there mouth when you are not there to keep them alive and keep the checks rolling long after they forget how to swallow .

There is a reason they don't stop building new ones €$$$$$$$$

I know the administrator personally. Never happen under his watch. It’s easy to spot the good facilities. If you know what to look for. Most haven’t a clue. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I know the administrator personally. Never happen under his watch. It’s easy to spot the good facilities. If you know what to look for. Most haven’t a clue. 

It happens day in day out . 

What is his bonus structure ? 

What are his workers bonus based on ? 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

It happens day in day out . 

What is his bonus structure ? 

What are his workers bonus based on ? 

None of that is relevant. You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. I can spend 15 minutes in a facility and tell you what it’s about. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

None of that is relevant. You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. I can spend 15 minutes in a facility and tell you what it’s about. 

Lol OK what ever you say .