Chelmsford man dies after snowmobile crash in Aroostook County

• Platinum Contributing Member

Oxbow, Maine (WAGM) - A 57 year old man has died after a snowmobile crash in Oxbow. According to the Maine Warden Service, the fatal crash occurred on Saturday March 4th around 2:20 PM on snowmobile trail ITS 85 in Oxbow. The crash involved three snowmobiles. According to the Maine Warden Service, the initial investigation indicates that Darryl Sittler was traveling north Saturday afternoon on ITS 85 on a 2023 Ski Doo Renegade 900 ACE, and was followed by his wife who was driving on her own snowmobile. A group of three other snowmobilers were traveling south towards Sittler.

Sittler, and snowmobiles driven by 20 year old Scout Sylvester, of Greene, Maine, and 23 year old Jack Sylvester (Scout’s brother), Greene, were involved in a collision near the crest of a rise in the trail. The crash heavily damaged all three snowmobiles. Both Scout and Jack Sylvester were individually driving 2022 Polaris XC 650s. Sittler passed away at the scene. Scout Sylvester was transported to Northern Light AR Gould Hospital in Presque Isle, where he was treated for an injury to his hand and released. The Maine Warden Service shut down the snowmobile trail for three hours to investigate the crash. The Maine Warden Service was assisted at the scene by Ashland Ambulance, Masardis Fire Department, Maine State Police and the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office.  Further information will be released as it becomes available.

• Sad 3

• 2 months later...

Greene brothers indicted for charges stemming from deadly snowmobile crash

CARIBOU, Maine (WABI) - Two brothers have been indicted for charges stemming from a deadly snowmobile crash in Aroostook County in March.

Scout Sylvester, 19, of Greene, was indicted for manslaughter, operating under the influence and reckless conduct.

His brother, Jack Sylvester, 23, of Greene, was indicted for furnishing liquor to a minor, reckless operation of a snowmobile, falsifying evidence and reckless conduct.

Warrants were put out for their arrest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

CARIBOU, Maine (WABI) - Two brothers have been indicted for charges stemming from a deadly snowmobile crash in Aroostook County in March.

Scout Sylvester, 19, of Greene, was indicted for manslaughter, operating under the influence and reckless conduct.

His brother, Jack Sylvester, 23, of Greene, was indicted for furnishing liquor to a minor, reckless operation of a snowmobile, falsifying evidence and reckless conduct.

GOOD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I'm glad they have been charged.

• Like 3

• Gold Member

Drunk and Im sure they were hammer down riding like animals. 

These dudes riding wreckless make sledding unenjoyable sometimes. Slow the fuck down.  >:(

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

These dudes riding wreckless make sledding unenjoyable sometimes. Slow the fuck down.  >:(

I put a lot of miles on last year, and I only remember two specific riders that were completely out of control cutting every corner possible.  I'm sure I was just lucky, but the level of incidents this past year was less than last year.  Covid hangover wearing off maybe?  Newbies gave it up?  I don't know, just what I saw.

And yeah, I know it only takes one a-hole to ruin a good day, or a life as described above...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Only a weak man can not make it through a ride without having to drink his lunch.

I drink near beer on rides these days. Use to really pound them back, back in the day, lots of people did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

We called them bottles of courage.

• Gold Member

Sober Guys cutting corners and going too fast piss me off just as much if not even more than a slow riding boozer . 

But Booze and Speed,  now thats a recipe for disaster. Only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

I put a lot of miles on last year, and I only remember two specific riders that were completely out of control cutting every corner possible.  I'm sure I was just lucky, but the level of incidents this past year was less than last year.  Covid hangover wearing off maybe?  Newbies gave it up?  I don't know, just what I saw.

And yeah, I know it only takes one a-hole to ruin a good day, or a life as described above...

we had the same. most folks holding their own but i had a few on my side. we ride real cautious , especially on turns and such

• Like 2

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Don’t know exactly what section of the trail it was on but 85 around oxbow has some really fast sections and straights no problem doing 100 if ya wanted. That and drunk not a good combo glad they got charged.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mainecat said:

If you need alcohol to have a good time on a sled you shouldn’t own a sled.

Truer words have never been spoken...save the drinking for when you are done riding for the day...simple stuff...good post Mainecat.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Each year we find ourselves riding in the less traveled parts of the state.  

Weekends on the Norwegian Rivera are 100% out.

If it is weekend riding, we'll go somewhere else, maybe TRF again.

Saddle bagging to Baudette and parts south and west of there hardly see any traffic... great trails too!

7 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Saddle bagging to Baudette and parts south and west of there hardly see any traffic... great trails too!

When we used to race out of Warroad, we always wanted to go up a few days early and ride the Angle and around there, but never made time to do it.  

On 5/17/2023 at 8:51 AM, EvilBird said:

There are a lot of morons that own snowmobiles. Alot

On 5/17/2023 at 8:57 AM, Steve753 said:

I drink near beer on rides these days. Use to really pound them back, back in the day, lots of people did. 

Snowmobiling without beer is just not as fun.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

When we used to race out of Warroad, we always wanted to go up a few days early and ride the Angle and around there, but never made time to do it.  

We did the 40+ miles across LOTW a couple years ago, we don’t need to do that again…

83348D3A-29DF-4C44-B885-139B0D2DD9F3.jpeg

Sadly, i remember the sleds parked on snowbanks around the bars in Western Massachusetts, back in the 90's....

Kind of like biker bars..... Ride from bar to bar for another drink.....