Registration and Trail Pass Stickers

Yesterday after a local snowmobile event the DNR decided to place themselves at a road crossing in a truck to check for registration and trail pass stickers.  I was one of their targets as I refuse to comply with their idiotic demand of making my registration and trail pass decals 'easily visible' to law enforcement officers... and here's my reasoning.  

If I break or damage a windshield or plastic body panel on my sled during the course of the winter on which the sticker is to be placed according to the law I cannot simply remove the decal(s) and transfer them to the replacement panels due to the sticker style the DNR issues.  If you have multiple windshields you cannot simply transfer the decals either. To get replacement decals from the DNR is an utter pain in the ass.  

My decals are on the rear tunnel of the sled.  If the decals get damaged there it's likely the snowmobile is not ridable.  

The LEO seemed pissed at me initially until I pointed out the  position of them, that they were current and affixed in a location that while not compliant with their 'make it easy and convenient for us' demands were on the machine in a visible location. 

He didn't like my reasoning and said that the next trail pass decals should be placed on the hood just under the windshield and the registration sticker attached to the cowling.  I informed him I would not be doing that and asked if he was going to write me a ticket and see me in court.  He then frustratedly sent me on my way.   Good thing I wasn't drinking right?  ;)

Nothing against the LEO, he was just doing his job as the law is written but imo the current law is flawed in it's design.  I also very much disagree with the trail pass decal which used to be included in your registration.  The registration decals used to be required to be affixed to the rearward tunnel of the sled. 

Laws can be changed... :finger:

Screenshot_20230305-052806.png

28 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

That's one thing MN did that was right for once. They combined the reg sticker and trail sticker a few years ago.

Where are you required to place the decals?

16 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I guess if I can't peel it off I'd have to get a duplicate decal.

how's that process work?  can you ride your sled, even though it's registered but doesn't have a decal on the replacement panel?

I forgot about this other thread @Doug started... 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

Well bitching on a obscure snowmobile site ain’t gonna get the law changed for ya :lol2:. You’re talking to the wrong people for that. I agree with you though I use to put them on the tunnel but I got sick of being harassed about it.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Well bitching on a obscure snowmobile site ain’t gonna get the law changed for ya :lol2:. You’re talking to the wrong people for that. I agree with you though I use to put them on the tunnel but I got sick of being harassed about it.

need to build a coalition of folks with common f'ng sense... so obviously no government workers.  :)

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and if you damage a panel which requires replacement... then what?

That’s a pretty big “what if”. You’re making mountains out of mole hills dude. Complaining about sled reg. and trail pass stickers? You sure you’re not a female? :lmao:

No wonder you’re referred to as Karen2Karen :lmao:The LEO walked away from you and thought…..”what a cunt”:lmao:

Edited by snoughnut
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

That’s a pretty big “what if”. You’re making mountains out of mole hills dude. Complaining about sled reg. and trail pass stickers? You sure you’re not a female? :lmao:

No wonder you’re referred to as Karen2Karen :lmao:The LEO walked away from you and thought…..”what a cunt”:lmao:

do you even ride, or just hang out on here?

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

do you even ride, or just hang out on here?

I ride but I don’t piss and moan about sticker placement, there’s far bigger fish to fry in life than that dude. How would you react if something really bad happened in you life besides sticker placement? :lmao:

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how's that process work?  can you ride your sled, even though it's registered but doesn't have a decal?  on the replacement panel?

I forgot about this other thread @Doug started... 

IF I do something to my sled that wrecks the reg decal I probably will not be riding soon anyway because I will need a whole hood. Over here the duplicate decals are available at the DMV.

20230305_090626.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I ride but I don’t piss and moan about sticker placement, there’s far bigger fish to fry in life than that dude. How would you react if something really bad happened in you life besides sticker placement? :lmao:

so you thought you'd come on here and start in with me?  

eye-roll-david.gif

$5 for duplicate in mn I believe.

print it off at license bureau.

if happens to get lost on trail usually Leo pretty good about it.

im usually told get her her done when you get home.

Edited by X2700

For like $4 you can get duplicate license. Registration sticker? Pretty sure I could get one side for under $20.00. Next year in Minnesota, they are supposedly going to a bar code. No more need for the license numbers. Why be so cheap on a 15- 20,000 sled?