Check those trailer tires

It's amazing how little maintenance people do to their trailers.  Check tire pressure and grease the bearings at the minimum.  Also, check for corrosion and axle/frame damage due to road salt.  

let me make this corrosion comment more clear... take a full aluminum can of soda, place it in a plastic bucket.  fill the bucket with salty snow from alongside the road.  leave it in your house or garage until the snow is melted.  remove the aluminum can.  it will likely have tiny pin holes in the can and have leaked the contents out of itself. 

Both hubs were replaced two summers ago - this is/was a tire issue.  Yes the trailer needs a bath but the tire simply came apart from running over something or age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

Both hubs were replaced two summers ago - this is/was a tire issue.  Yes the trailer needs a bath but the tire simply came apart from running over something or age.

Two yrs ago and you didn’t check the hubs before the season?

Wasn't there and issue with the I think it was Carlisle branded tires and someone selling knock off Carlisle tires or there was something about the tires delaminating from under inflation and over heating or the wrong class rating or dot rating???

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Maybe - I know these tires had a good 7-8 years on them.  Obviously due for replacement.

Thought you would wear a set out before that long with how many trips you make.

Saw a 2 place flipped over on top of a 4 place with an Arctic Cat on the way home yesterday.  I hate trailers.  Throw it in the back of my truck and go.

I trailer my sleds quite a bit.  Lot more than I want to.  Usually just get new tires every 3-4 years.  Grease the hubs at the beginning and mid way through the season.

I the early part of the year you always see trailer tire carcasses long the side of the road 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doug said:

I trailer my sleds quite a bit.  Lot more than I want to.  Usually just get new tires every 3-4 years.  Grease the hubs at the beginning and mid way through the season.

I the early part of the year you always see trailer tire carcasses long the side of the road 

I haven’t trailered as much the past few seasons, but it’s mostly due to kids stuff that keeps us busy. That said, I’ve got the same approach every season. Grease and regular checks on tire pressure. Replace tires every 3-4 years depending on trailer use. I also try to wash it down after every use … but that gets difficult when it’s colder weather & the car wash isn’t open. 

25 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Thought you would wear a set out before that long with how many trips you make.

Saw a 2 place flipped over on top of a 4 place with an Arctic Cat on the way home yesterday.  I hate trailers.  Throw it in the back of my truck and go.

This is what I do a lot also, way better IMO.

24 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I haven’t trailered as much the past few seasons, but it’s mostly due to kids stuff that keeps us busy. That said, I’ve got the same approach every season. Grease and regular checks on tire pressure. Replace tires every 3-4 years depending on trailer use. I also try to wash it down after every use … but that gets difficult when it’s colder weather & the car wash isn’t open. 

We have a self wash that I can get the trailer and truck in to spray the trailer off including the under side.  Do that every trip.

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

How many carry a mounted spare, the appropriate jack and lug wrench to change one?

I keep mine inside the back of the truck, just in case.  

two spares in suburban!!

floor jack and sockets also in burb!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, X2700 said:

two spares in suburban!!

floor jack and sockets also in burb!!!

I'm an underachiever ... we've just got the one spare, and that's mounted inside the clam so it doesn't get all shitty from the spray off the road/snow/salt, etc.  My older trailer, we had the tire mount on the tongue ... not the greatest solution.  I also carry my portable compressor and a tire patch kit (from my RZR) just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

How many carry a mounted spare, the appropriate jack and lug wrench to change one?

I keep mine inside the back of the truck, just in case.  

Yes all of the above.  Even a spare hub

• Like 1