How young is too young to be on public snowmobile trail?

I think it depends on the kid, on the trail, and what day it is. Also depends on the weather, and if Mom is watching. 

For example - Tug Hill or Rangeley Maine on Saturday afternoon is a bad idea. 

• Like 2

To me its a little young, could be an area with minimal traffic but idk. 

On dirtbikes my 5 and 7 year old sons can ride but are learning so i only take them around camp on singletrack trails, or ride on the 3 acre track i built last year at home, I just dont trust other people enough to go out on larger ohv trails.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MnDean said:

This guy is out with his 3 year old on the trials, seems a little young to me, but father knows best.

Screenshot_20230303_052658_Samsung Internet.jpg

In Wisconsin, has to go through snowmobile safety first... which I'm fairly certain is much older than three.  When I had to do it in the early eighties you had to be twelve  

• Gold Member

I don’t see reg stickers 🤔.

I personally think 3 is to young I know it depends on the skills even then I wouldn’t trust other riders on the trails especially at 3. I think 8-9yrs old for my kids I’d feel comfortable with them on the trails riding with me. They have plenty of trails I’ve made around the house in the woods to ride no need to put them in danger with the drunks and wannabe racers.

4 minutes ago, ICG said:

It's also illegal in New Hampshire.  

I don’t believe that is true unless I’m reading it wrong. Under 12 can ride with an adult but cannot cross roads which I guess means ya ain’t getting far in southern NH.

follow up for Wisco... 

Age Restrictions and Certificate Requirements Any person who is at least 12 years old and who is born on or after January 1, 1985 is required to possess a valid Snowmobile Safety Certificate in order to operate a snowmobile in most areas (see exceptions below). You must carry the certificate while riding and you must display it to a law enforcement officer when requested. Age Certificate Required Exceptions

Born before 1/1/1985 No

Born on or after 1/1/1985, but at least 12 Yes No certificate is required for persons operating on* lands owned or leased by the operator’s parent or guardian. * This does not include land leased by an organization of which the operator, operator’s parents or guardians are members.

Under age 12 No A parent, guardian, or person 18 years old or older must accompany the child on the (same) snowmobile when operating on public areas. No certificate or adult accompaniment is required for persons operating on* lands owned or leased by the operator’s parent or guardian. * This does not include land leased by an organization of which the operator, operator’s parents or guardians a member. 

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/le/LE0201_2020.pdf

I do kinda wonder how many people born after 1985 have never taken a snowmobile safety course?  Based upon what I see riding at times, my guess is not nearly enough.

https://www.snowmobile-ed.com/wisconsin/?campaignid=40383559&adgroupid=24529710139&keyword=wisconsin snowmobile safety&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9YugBhCZARIsAACXxeJVcf99x10rbkC2PgbWRrXGQqFrKaTPKwvNa4eaJ_FLvcs1GGoeGZoaAmrGEALw_wcB

Do you need Wisconsin Snowmobile education?

You need education if you were born after Jan. 1, 1985, and will be riding on public lands in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Requirements

Important! You'll need your WI DNR Customer Number to complete the course. If you do not have this number visit the DNR website, or visit a DNR service center.

You must be at least 16 years old to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Wisconsin to take this online course.

• Like 1

That had to be a painfully long slow day.   Starrting When my oldest was 4yo he'd ride his 120 behind me and we'd ride the 3.5 miles to my moms for coffee on random wknd days.  It took alot of patience!

I cant imagine trying to do 20 miles at once with a 120 and a 3 yr old.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:52 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

follow up for Wisco... 

Age Restrictions and Certificate Requirements Any person who is at least 12 years old and who is born on or after January 1, 1985 is required to possess a valid Snowmobile Safety Certificate in order to operate a snowmobile in most areas (see exceptions below). You must carry the certificate while riding and you must display it to a law enforcement officer when requested. Age Certificate Required Exceptions

Born before 1/1/1985 No

Born on or after 1/1/1985, but at least 12 Yes No certificate is required for persons operating on* lands owned or leased by the operator’s parent or guardian. * This does not include land leased by an organization of which the operator, operator’s parents or guardians are members.

Under age 12 No A parent, guardian, or person 18 years old or older must accompany the child on the (same) snowmobile when operating on public areas. No certificate or adult accompaniment is required for persons operating on* lands owned or leased by the operator’s parent or guardian. * This does not include land leased by an organization of which the operator, operator’s parents or guardians a member. 

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/le/LE0201_2020.pdf

I do kinda wonder how many people born after 1985 have never taken a snowmobile safety course?  Based upon what I see riding at times, my guess is not nearly enough.

https://www.snowmobile-ed.com/wisconsin/?campaignid=40383559&adgroupid=24529710139&keyword=wisconsin snowmobile safety&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9YugBhCZARIsAACXxeJVcf99x10rbkC2PgbWRrXGQqFrKaTPKwvNa4eaJ_FLvcs1GGoeGZoaAmrGEALw_wcB

Do you need Wisconsin Snowmobile education?

You need education if you were born after Jan. 1, 1985, and will be riding on public lands in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Requirements

Important! You'll need your WI DNR Customer Number to complete the course. If you do not have this number visit the DNR website, or visit a DNR service center.

You must be at least 16 years old to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Wisconsin to take this online course.

Mn has a loophole for under 12 . Can't cross roads but can ride with a guardian.  After 11 must have your safety cert